Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with specialized setup for trip to Latin America

Hi guys

I'm planning a trip to South/Central America so I'm looking for a setup that could take me comfortably from tropical rainforests to high up in the Andes. I'm about 6'2" 240lbs. I'm new to hammock camping so could use some help

Basically I'm looking for comfort, versatility, etc. Because of the humidity I'm looking for fully-synthetic materials. I think I will buy a sleeping bag instead of a TQ, so it's wider when used in the hammock and blocks drafts better when used on the ground. For colder weather while sleeping on the ground I would insert the UQ in the sleeping bag. I would also buy a 25" mattress, not sure between a therm a rest neo air or a Big Agnes.

For serious bug-proofness I'm not sure I would thrust a top bug net (as opposed to a sock bug net) because if bugs find their way between the UQ and the hammock they'll bite..

I need a setup with some sort of anti-theft protection.. I guess if my backpack is wet I cant put it inside my hammock. tarp long enough so that i can easily hang it on a ridgeline (near my head)?

Versatility:
    tarp used as a fully-waterproof bivy?
    sock bug net for hammock serving as bug bivy for ground sleeping? (raised up by tying it to the shelter)
    tarp used as a type-A shelter including ground coverage (ie one tarp serves as ground cloth and shelter at the same time)?
    UQ or sleeping bag as Insulating Wear (warm jacket) for cold evening?
    tarp as puncho?

Hammock:
    Dream Hammock - thunderbird 11'
    warbonnet - blackbird XLC
    Wilderness Logics - night owl

Also:
    buttinasling camper XL
    TTTM double or king size
    Henessey explorer deluxes or safari deluxes
    Grand Trunk Parachute Nylon Double

I guess stretchable material might be better to avoid pressure points but not as good to avoid sagging? if you take Right Lay Asym (head left, feet right) can you still comfortably sleep (head right, feet left)? can you always adjust the length of the ridgeline? avoid reflective materials? No calf ridge?

I think the Night Owl is a symmetrical hammock and doesnt come with a bug net, but comfort-wise people here seem to rave more about the WBBB XLC and DHTB. Also for the WBBB XLC and DHTB what modification would one need to use them (with their topcover) as a bivouac sack? Or is there a hammock sock that makes a good bivouac sack?

tarp with closable doors:
    UGQ winterdream tarp 12' 12x10' 27oz 185$
    wildernesslogics Oldman Winter 9.3x12', 22 oz, 165$
    hammockgear tarp cf3 winter palace 10.5x12' 9oz 410$
    warbonnet superfly 10x11' 19oz 130$

Also:
    zpacks Hammock Tarp with Doors 8.5x11 8.5 oz $315
    hammockgear standard cuben fiber tarp with doors 8.5x12 7oz 307$

I definitely want to avoid tarp drumming in the wind (noise). A-type shelter with two branches instead of with hiking poles? need anything for porch mode? center pole mod is tie-outs to make the interior wider using Tarp Poles? can you use branches instead of tarp poles for that too? Do you need any mod to be able to pitch the tarp first and then hang the hammock protected from the rain? WinterDream includes Industrial Polyacetal snaps running down the straight edge, allowing you to completely close the ends off?

Synthetic underquilt:
    arrowhead New River Under Quilt (48"x84", 32oz, 160$, climashield apex)
    mountainlaureldesigns Spirit Quilts 28 X-Large ((42-52)"x78", 26oz, Climashield Apex) any XX-Large? can it be used as an UQ or is it made for TQ?

Also:
    dd hammocks underblanket 84.5" x 59", 46.5oz 85£ type of fill?
    Eagles Nest Outfitters Ember Underquilt 35oz, type of fill? size?
    enlightened equipment prodigy UQ only comes in torso size

Any combination of hammock-UQ from the above choices that would give an easier, tighter fit? Dream Hammock thunderbird has more loops to attach an UQ? Would it be hard and would it make sense to modify one of these UQ to wear it as a serape (similar to the JRB sierra stealth)?

Sleeping bag:
    Looking for fairly wide, rectangular, fully-synthetic sleeping bag with a hood. doesnt have to be that warm. hammock friendly (Waterproof footbox, central zip?) would be a plus. wearable as a jacket would also be a plus.
    nemo Rhythm 25 or 40, Long PrimaLoft synergy 40F 2lb9oz, 25F 3lb1oz Continuous Filament = migration resistant but packs large?
    Chinook Sportster Hooded Rectangle 23F Sleeping Bag primaloft sport 23F 2.75lbs, 15F 4lbs Short Staple = better CLO and packs smaller

Also:
    Asolo Viaggio Quadratherm®4-hole Polyester only 31.5" wide
    nemo Mezzo Loft 30 is it insulated at the bottom too? not sure this would work too well as a TQ
    Lafuma ecrins 30 xl AERO FIBER only 31.5" wide
    wiggys Nautilus Lamilite (type of Polarguard)?
    darche COLD MOUNTAIN LITE 0°C - 900

I did not see any synthetics that are wearable. There are some nice down ones though, like nunatak raku

sock bug net:
    dream hammock BugSock
    wilderness logics NOSEEUM-BUG-NET 9'7" of ridgeline
    butt in a sling - buginator 9'9" x 4'2" is that a Fronkey-style bugnet?
    ticket to the moon mosquito net 360 9'2" x 4'3"
    ENO Guardian Bug Net 9' 4" x 4' 3"

Also:
    Grand Trunk is the deluxe mosquito netting 12'

Any suggestions? Of course vendors are welcome to comment too
    Last edited by North; 01-28-2014 at 17:06.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Hi North,
    One note on the ThunderBird - the dual zippers do not form an absolute seal at the head or foot end of the hammock. It relies on the shock cord seal of the zipper hood to prevent bugs from entering. This is plenty sufficient to stop mosquitoes and other flying insects.

Since you folks have some really nasty crawly critters, I would consider something that provides a definate seal against crawling things.
    Perhaps our Darien hammock would suit this purpose better?

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Wow! A whole book could be written around your questions.

Here are some options that are versatile.

Have you looked at the Switchback double hammock? The double gives extra protection against bug bites from below in hot weather. You also have the option of spreader bars, which make the interior very roomy.

http://www.tttrailgear.com/switchbac...layer-hammock/

And with zippers on both sides you can sleep at either end and even turn around while inside. Unzipping both sides enables you to tie the netting to the ridge line. And you can go to ground - it's like having a tent. You need two poles or sticks to hold up the ends. The Tree to Tree website has a photo...but I can't find it now!

Also, Exped's synthetic WallCreeper sleeping bag is very versatile. Can be worn or opened up. Google. exped synthetic wallcreeper to see images.

You have this on your list. Saw the Winter Dream with the two poles and it is awesome. Missy had the back lower down and the top was like a curved roof. Doesn't block the view at all.

http://undergroundquilts.com/tarps/i...(1024x768).jpg

As far as security...a knife can slice through backpacks, tarps, and hammocks very easily. Google Pacsafe for images. They makes mesh covers in different sizes.

Have you read The Ultimate Hang? Go to the website

This is going to be a fun thread.

Hammock
    Kiri Para II Double
    Tarp
    MEC Silicon Guide
    Insulation
    Mostly Fat
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin/Biner
    Images
    I have never been in a tropical forest but I have plenty of experience with nasty, crawl-into-everything, despicable bugs.

I am using a Portec bug net with minor modifications. I have added two "cones" made of No-See-Um mesh on each end that are attached to the bug net using Velcro. I seal those cones against my ridgeline using an external rubber band that is permanently on the ridgeline. I have used this bug net on the ground as a bivy by attaching it to trekking poles, it is roomy and long enough for that.

I also use another piece of mesh as a "veil" over my bug net opening. It helps prevent bugs from getting in when I crawl into my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    How are you traveling - vehicle, motorcycle, bike, on foot?
    Has a lot to do with what you can bring along.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hey papasmurf,

Thanks for the reply. In fact Dream hammocks are currently in my top spot in the hammock category, partly because of the possibility to have 72" material. Beyond comfort, this might allow me better to put my backpack inside the hammock (?), (as an anti-theft, possibly the backpack in a waterproof bag to avoid wetting the rest).

I was reading reviews of mosquito hammock and this guy tried one of their double bottom in the Peruvian rainforest. He says they could still bite him through the 2 layers of the hammock, and suggested to "add a false bottom which would hang slightly below the hammock, preventing mosquito bites from below". So I figure I would be better off with a separate net, big enough to not touch the hammock anywhere. This would also add the versatility to not use a net when not needed.

Since I would not need the integrated net, topcover and the zippers to keep them in place, I was looking at the double layer 11' Freebird. Could it be customized to be exactly like the Thunderbird? (with UQ hooks, tie-outs, peak bags, etc)

Regarding the bug nets, in nzitrap they claim "biting midges ("Noseeums", Ceratopogonidae, e.g. Culicoides). To retain these small species requires a very fine mesh (e.g. 600+ holes per square inch)". Here and here they have No-See-Um Netting products at 625 holes per square inch. Equinox claim they have "Approximately 3,700+ holes per square inch", while hammockbliss claim to have "2100 Holes Per Square Inch No-See-Um Netting". 800 at mosquito curtain, 1000 at extrem textil. Among the nets listed above I see that TTTM has "525 holes/square inch" I'm not sure if that would be enough.

I'd like to know the holes/square inch in the No-See-Um of the BugSock and the other 11' hammock nets.

After more reading I'm also considering adding a poncho-tarp to my setup, maybe the Gatewood Cape, and a separate lightweight ground sheet (to avoid putting holes in the poncho-tarp). I guess Tyvek and polycro would be the material, hopefully 9-10 feet long and with webbings to keep it in place. (Tyvek® Loops? ) I'm thinking that the Gatewood Cape could have the added benefit to offer a shelter that performs better in heavy winds than making one with one of the tarps listed above (?). For example above the tree line in the Andes that could be important. The disadvantage of the Gatewood Cape versus other poncho-tarps is that it doesnt open up on the sides when used as a poncho. From what I've been reading a well-ventilated poncho typically performs better in the rainforest than eVent/goretex hard shell. Unfortunately I would probably also need a hard shell jacket/pants combo for warmth, windproofness and rain/snow protection while in the Andes.

I'm also thinking to have one of the Synthetic underquilts modified to become a jacket as needed. I would need a zipper parallel to the long side (to put my head in the hole!) and overlapping insulation to cover the zipper when used as an UQ. I guess that overlapping insulation would need something like buttons to stay in place when used as an UQ. I wonder if the strings on the UQ could serve to tighten the jacket around the waist or if I would need some other mechanism. I would need to be able to wear my underquilt jacket under a hard shell jacket/pants.

Note: I found another rectangular hooded fully-synthetic sleeping bag that might be of interest to others with those preferences. snugpak jungle-bag but at 32" wide I find it a bit too narrow for me. Right now I'm leaning toward a Nemo Rhythm 25 Long even though its packed volume seems almost too much (10.6L compressed).
    Last edited by North; 02-01-2014 at 16:03.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Since I would not need the integrated net, topcover and the zippers to keep them in place, I was looking at the 11' Freebird. Could it be customized to be exactly like the Thunderbird? (with UQ hooks, tie-outs, peak bags, etc)
    Yes, I'm sure we could come up with the configuration you're looking for or you could go with one of the other fine products mentioned by those who have posted.

Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    Switchback double hammock .. And you can go to ground - it's like having a tent. You need two poles or sticks to hold up the ends. The Tree to Tree website has a photo...but I can't find it now!
    While reading threads here I did come across the Switchback double and many had good things to say about it. But I wonder if it could be customized to 11'? Is this the photo you meant? In the description they mention 1.9 oz. sq. yd. ripstop nylon with a DWR finish, which I'm surprised they suggest to use as bathtub. Normally it's more like PU, cuben, sometimes silnylon. Have you tried it yet on a wet ground to see how it performs? I think I'll go with the customized Freebird.

Also, Exped's synthetic WallCreeper
    The Exped Wallcreeper definitely has an interesting design.. I'll look more into that. Unfortunately its mummy shaped and doesnt appear to be sold anymore. I wonder what other synthetic sleeping bag have similar versatility. On Exped website I only see the DREAMWALKER DUO 400 LW, which can be worn as a poncho but is made of down.

Winter Dream .. Missy had the back lower down and the top was like a curved roof. Doesn't block the view at all.

http://undergroundquilts.com/tarps/i...(1024x768).jpg
    Missy's setup is a mod/customization or the way she hangs the tarp?

Pacsafe
    Thanks for pointing it out! I had never heard of it, looks useful. thats why this forum is great

The Ultimate Hang?
    Gonna look at it after dinner
    Last edited by North; 02-01-2014 at 16:02.

Quote Originally Posted by PatT View Post
    I am using a Portec bug net with minor modifications. I have added two "cones" mlcro. I seal those cones against my ridgeline using an external rubber band that is permanently on the ridgeline.
    I looked it up, mec says
    260 cm across the top
    65 cm from corner to bottom (on each side)
    110 cm from the bottom of the net to the top along the dark line in the centre.
    which is too short for a 11' hammock. You mod is to increase its length, right? what about depth? on here they say their hammock bottomed out on the bug net.

Quote Originally Posted by PatT View Post
    I also use another piece of mesh as a "veil" over my bug net opening. It helps prevent bugs from getting in when I crawl into my hammock.
    that's an interesting idea, but does it work well? I guess the veil has to be pretty big to cover around you? say in Qc in June would that block the agressive noseeums?

Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    How are you traveling - vehicle, motorcycle, bike, on foot?
    Has a lot to do with what you can bring along.
    I'm gonna start on foot, but if I find it too hard to move around I'll consider buying a road bike or a motorcycle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast