BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Hi I'm based in the UK too and planning a Spain France trip (haute route pyrenees). Best of luck if I don't see you out there

I totally agree with Moel in that with hammocking is taking off very quickly ATM, it is changing very fast. I would suggest beg, borrow and steal as much as possible, with a good dose of DIY to boot. Get out there and see what suits, works and is light enough. The kit I had in France and Switzerland last year has been totally replaced with better kit, and all pretty cheap too, jut understanding what works. I find the commercial systems usually hide me from nature, like a tent, which is a deal breaker for me.

If you are struggling I have bits of kit knocking about. Drop me a PM of what you need and I'll see what I can do

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Thing is, it's easy to warn newbies not to splurge but I understand how hard it is not to spend, spend, spend when your enthusiasm is boiling.

If you can control the urges, it is possible to put together a very satisfying rig for very little money, which will help you hone your skills and understand your needs.

This set up saw me, very happily, through my first couple of years hammocking.

Hammock £7 (DIY as mentioned in earlier post)(still use this now)
    Suspension £4 (DIY webbing bought from local market)
    Tarp £5 (2.4x3m camo tarp like this one)(Surprisingly good in diamond set up and only weighs 550g)
    UQ £0 (DIY from an old down sleeping bag)
    TQ £0 (Just my normal sleeping bag unzipped used as a quilt)

Total spend £16
    Happy hammocking experience gained £PRICELESS
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Thats a seriously cheap set-up, I love to tinker so have spent much more, but I get my use out of them.

Lawolf
    Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Funnily enough that's what i'm planning on doing - France down through Spain. When you heading out?

I know it's very easy to spend spend spend, and i'm a sucker for it. I prefer less faffing and just getting sorted -

I looked at the TW hammocks which for the price seem pretty good, and i know I might be able to get a HH expedition for around 70 quid (tarp and snakeskin included). -- Though I am unsure about the underneath entrance thing. Any reason i should go for a HH at the right price? or do ya think a TW with a tarp will be superb?

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    If you're looking at tw hammocks then ddhammocks will be a worth a look too, they are very similar and based in Edinburgh. Both companies hammocks imo are quite short and quite heavy compared with other manufacturers.

If you have access to a sewing machine then that is a great way to go. Ripstop can be found pretty cheap in the UK and the best place I've found for bug netting and sil on this side of the pond is extremtextil.de

Hope this helps.

Lawolf
    Not a major issue, i'm like 5'7 and weigh just under 10st...

Out of DD and TW? which would you go for?
    or is the Woodmans X a better choice?

Hammock
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawolf View Post
    Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Funnily enough that's what i'm planning on doing - France down through Spain. When you heading out?

I know it's very easy to spend spend spend, and i'm a sucker for it. I prefer less faffing and just getting sorted -

I looked at the TW hammocks which for the price seem pretty good, and i know I might be able to get a HH expedition for around 70 quid (tarp and snakeskin included). -- Though I am unsure about the underneath entrance thing. Any reason i should go for a HH at the right price? or do ya think a TW with a tarp will be superb?

I'm hopefully heading out around may/June, though I'll probably be mooching about the EU WWOOFing so it could be any time.

Yeah by all means just buy your kit in. I never went that road as whenever I came across them I was never that impressed, especially when compared to the cottage makers in the states.

Lawolf
    Ahh that's wicked i'm planning on leaving anywhere between end of feb and march.

Been looking a WOOFing too, and some volunteer website, as like waypoints.

Hammock is pretty much the last thing i need to buy. Grr i hate choice.

Hammock
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Sounds awesome! my plan was Scotland Feb and march before heading south but the weather may make for an early southern trip.

Keep an eye out as they are trying to ban WWOOFing in France at the moment. No idea why !?

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawolf View Post
    Not a major issue, i'm like 5'7 and weigh just under 10st...

Out of DD and TW? which would you go for?
    or is the Woodmans X a better choice?
    I would personally go for DD because I have had a good experience with them and they are based less than 10 miles from me, but as far as quality and the actual product, I doubt there is much of a difference.

I am of the opinion that the woodsman x is the better choice though, and certainly lighter.

At your weight and height you could use any hammock on the market. Have you considered something like a bias wwm and buginator net? Not sure of postage but it is less expensive and keeps your system modular, much lighter and very easy to diy too!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast