Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WL Bullfrog/Tadpol
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    This probably isn't the best for ease of removal but couldn't you safety pin the tag end to the main strap?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    In my experience, the only buckle that doesn't "pump" is a belt buckle.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    In my experience, the only buckle that doesn't "pump" is a belt buckle.
    Those kinds of buckles work best under stable tension loads. A dog pack is constantly moving and bouncing. The tension changes with every step meaning more chance for the straps to slip. At least that's what I found.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    ...I've got a dog pack brain trust!...
    Huh?.........You calling us a dog pack?

Woof! I've been called a lot worse.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Huh?.........You calling us a dog pack?

Woof! I've been called a lot worse.
    No, a "dog pack brain trust" is a bunch of seriously capable thinkers who study dog packs - bags that are used to have dogs carry gear for us (but I suppose they could study groups of dogs instead). This is not to be confused with a "brain trust dog pack", which I guess is a bunch of very canny canines. You can be one of them, too, if you want.
    -------
    "What are you getting at?"
    "Words ... words. They're all we have to go on."
    - Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was a parachute rigger in the navy. I worked in the sewing shop my first few years. If we wanted to lock a buckle in place we'd use a large thread and put a through stitch in and back up through both layers of webbing, tieing it off with a surgeons knot with a square knot on top of that. The buckle won't slip with the thread (snew type) and the knot. It is really good for buckles that do not get moved regular. If there was a harnesss or other buckle that needed moved in the field the the pilots that I outfitted had a sail needle with the thread/snew ready in their survival gear to 'lock' any buckle. My dog ben has all his buckles tacked in this way except for his girth one and it needs adjusting through out the day just as my hip belt does.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    I was a parachute rigger in the navy. I worked in the sewing shop my first few years. If we wanted to lock a buckle in place we'd use a large thread and put a through stitch in and back up through both layers of webbing, tieing it off with a surgeons knot with a square knot on top of that. The buckle won't slip with the thread (snew type) and the knot. It is really good for buckles that do not get moved regular. If there was a harnesss or other buckle that needed moved in the field the the pilots that I outfitted had a sail needle with the thread/snew ready in their survival gear to 'lock' any buckle. My dog ben has all his buckles tacked in this way except for his girth one and it needs adjusting through out the day just as my hip belt does.
    Thanks. That's pretty much what I planned to do, and it's good to have it confirmed. I replaced the single chest strap (under Freia's neck) with a triangular pad that has two upper straps to the front of her pack bags and a lower strap that connects to her chest strap behind her forelegs. All three connections to the pad have ladderlock buckles, which I've temporarily secured with safety pins, but safety pins aren't very strong, and I don't want her to get stuck when one comes loose. (They do come loose with the "pumping" of her pack straps as she walks.) My plan is to use a couple of stitches of heavy thread to hold the strap ends, then change the length in a year or so as her chest fills out. Eventually I'll probably remove one of the buckles entirely and just sew the strap to the pad.

The two straps underneath her will need to be adjustable, as you suggest. I now recall that the Wenaha packs I used with previous trail dogs had 2" straps for the main bellyband. (Is that the correct term? It's the same thing I called a "chest strap" earlier. I'm reminded of Mark Twain's description of how to hitch a horse to a wagon, in which he didn't allow himself the luxury of referring to things by their names. ) I think even the heavier 2" straps slipped occasionally.
    Last edited by WV; 01-28-2014 at 11:37.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been contemplating making a pack for my dog but have had trouble finding a good pattern. Looked at the instructions for lashing on a commercial made pack but just trying to read them gave me a headache. If anyone has a good DIY dog pack, I'd love to get those plans.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

video of dog pack motion

http://youtu.be/KObhjGMBViU

(Mods, where did the Youtube icon go?)

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    I've been contemplating making a pack for my dog but have had trouble finding a good pattern. Looked at the instructions for lashing on a commercial made pack but just trying to read them gave me a headache. If anyone has a good DIY dog pack, I'd love to get those plans.
    Green Pepper has dog pack plans. I can't vouch for the plans, since I have not used them, but they might be a good place to start.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast