Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello from Central CA

Hello all, another new guy checking in. I got into backpacking several years ago, and I've been over on the backpackinglightdotcom forum for a while now. I've considered hammocks a number of times, but always dismissed the idea because I like to hike with my dog. Over the past weekend I went to an event at Henry Coe SP, here in California, where people brought their light and ultralight gear for others to check out. One of the gentlemen, Doug I, brought his Warbonnet Blackbird and let me try it out. What can I say, it was love at first sight (hang).

I love my tents, most of which are Hillebergs, but I'm honest enough to admit that for summer backpacking they are way overkill. I do my backpacking in the Sierras, and I'm looking to get lighter during the summer months. A hammock seems the way to go in order to be both lighter, but still comfortable. I guess my pooch will have to make due on a pad underneath me. She'll be pissed, but she'll get over it.

My question for you folks (let me know if I should start a new thread instead of asking here) is for summer backpacking in the Sierras at treeline, what temp rating should I be looking at for the under and over quilts? I tend to sleep a little cold. My second question is at 5'10", and 180 lbs, will I be able to get the regular size WBBB to hang without the calf ridge (with tweaking), or would I need to go up to the WBBB XLC size? I'm really hoping I could do it with the regular size, since I really prefer not to have the extra mesh on top and full length zipper of the XLC.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning a lot here.

Doug

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Onewind Top/Underq
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Welcome from another California Sierra camper. So, if you don't mind me asking, how central is Central CA? I've heard many opinions on this one.
    - We're never going to survive this!!
    - Nonsense. You only say that because no one ever has.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Welcome to the hammock world. You can take my Hennessy out if you would like to test another hammock before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Short White Guy View Post
    Welcome from another California Sierra camper. So, if you don't mind me asking, how central is Central CA? I've heard many opinions on this one.
    Thanks for the welcome, SWG. I'm not sure I follow your question, but if you're asking about geography, I'd say fairly close to central. The Monterey Bay. I'm not a rocket scientist, but when I look at a map of the state the Oregon and Mexico lines seem to be almost equidistant.

Quote Originally Posted by SLCpod View Post
    Welcome to the hammock world. You can take my Hennessy out if you would like to test another hammock before buying.
    Thanks for the welcome and incredibly generous offer, SLC. I looked at Hennessy's and just liked some of the design features of the Warbonnets better. Having said that, I've never been a brand snob. Just because I like the looks of something doesn't mean that I think another brand is not as good. If I try a Warbonnet and am not satisfied I'll absolutely give Hennessy a shot. Buying gear and later selling it is something I've become comfortable with over the years. It sounds like the resale value of either the Warbonnet or Hennessy are both excellent.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Onewind Top/Underq
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, SWG. I'm not sure I follow your question, but if you're asking about geography, I'd say fairly close to central. The Monterey Bay. I'm not a rocket scientist, but when I look at a map of the state the Oregon and Mexico lines seem to be almost equidistant.
    Let's just say that I live in Sacramento and, although I consider myself to be in Northern California, people have told me that I'm actually in Central California.
    - We're never going to survive this!!
    - Nonsense. You only say that because no one ever has.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Zpacks 8x11
    Insulation
    E.E. RevelationX
    Welcome! Summer in the Sierra does not require a underquilt, necessarily. I don't own one and use an inflatable (REI Flash) pad tucked inside a EE revX and do well to the high 30s. I haven't tested it beyond that temp. Beware, though. You will not get lighter or simpler by going the hammock route. You'll still be carrying a tarp, and adding the weight of the hammock and suspension to keep you off the ground. Personally, I do both. I treat my hammock more as a cool accessory rather than my "Go-to". I've been caught in treeless spots with daylight fading too often.
    That said, the Blackbird is a beautiful hammock. I especially like the shelf. There's another Bay area hammocker w/ dog on this forum whom I'm sure will chime in here soon. Glad you had a good time at the GGG. There's a central CA group hang in April. Here's a link https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=86412

SWG, a lot of folks around here consider themselves "northern Californians" as well, so you're not alone. I've always been a sort of literal person, so I wouldn't call myself a northerner unless I was well above the bay area.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapang! View Post
    Welcome! Summer in the Sierra does not require a underquilt, necessarily. I don't own one and use an inflatable (REI Flash) pad tucked inside a EE revX and do well to the high 30s. I haven't tested it beyond that temp. Beware, though. You will not get lighter or simpler by going the hammock route. You'll still be carrying a tarp, and adding the weight of the hammock and suspension to keep you off the ground. Personally, I do both. I treat my hammock more as a cool accessory rather than my "Go-to". I've been caught in treeless spots with daylight fading too often.
    That said, the Blackbird is a beautiful hammock. I especially like the shelf. There's another Bay area hammocker w/ dog on this forum whom I'm sure will chime in here soon. Glad you had a good time at the GGG. There's a central CA group hang in April. Here's a link https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=86412
    Kapang, thanks for the link to the hang in April. I'd like to check that out. As for the lighter weight aspect, I understand what you're saying. Just from looking at the numbers people put up, I realize that there are for sure ground shelter/ sleep systems that are lighter than the hammocks I'm looking at. The logic I'm going with is that either would be MUCH lighter than my current set-up, which is a wide Exped Synmat7, Hilleberg Soulo (5.5lbs), and zero degree synthetic bag.

In other words, I could probably cut my weight in half with either a hammock or ground shelter, but with the hammock I could increase my comfort level and with a ground system I'd be decreasing it. At least in theory this all makes sense to me.

If I could get by with a lighter weight underquilt, like maybe a 40* down quilt, I'd prefer to carry that instead of a pad. I don't care for the bulk, and I know that a light quilt can be every bit as light as a reasonably comfortable pad.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Zpacks 8x11
    Insulation
    E.E. RevelationX
    Looks like you'll cut weight regardless, as long as you lose the tent. I've got my system down to the point that I can go either way fairly easily. My hammock and suspension are about 14oz.s, ground sheet is 3oz.s. Two weeks ago I was in Big Sur. Because of very poor trail conditions, I found myself hiking with my headlight on top of a ridge full of scrub oak when I came upon the first campsite I could find. Because I had the pad, it was easy to pitch the tarp with a trekking pole and lay down the ground sheet and pad. I'd have been hard pressed to find a spot to hang.

As far as the NorCal thing is concerned,I guess alot of folks just want to distance themselves from SoCal as much as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Kapang! View Post
    I found myself hiking with my headlight on top of a ridge full of scrub oak when I came upon the first campsite I could find. Because I had the pad, it was easy to pitch the tarp with a trekking pole and lay down the ground sheet and pad. I'd have been hard pressed to find a spot to hang.
    I hear what you're saying. There will definitely still be a place in my arsenal for my tents. Especially for things like motorcycle touring, where I'm often in places not ideal for hanging (or staking for that matter).

For my summer backpacking trips, on the other hand, I am familiar with the places I like to go and trees are not hard to come by. If I were going someplace where it might be an issue I'd probably opt for the tent instead.

Doug

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast