Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Hoosier National Forest this weekend

I'm going down to the forest this weekend. Anyone want to go?
    I have one other guy that can go Saturday. Anyone up for Saturday and Sunday, (or Friday too)
    So far Paint and I are going Friday and Skyline may come down Sat. A couple more showed interest but haven't heard back.
    I WILL HAVE THE TRAIL MARKED WITH REFLECTIVE TAPE AS SEEN IN PHOTO 4 BELOW

As of Wednesday the forecast has changed. Warmer

Friday
    sleet
    Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow in the morning, then overcast with a chance of snow and a chance of rain. High of 41F. Winds from the South at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 40%.
    Friday Night
    nt_cloudy
    Overcast with ice pellets and snow. Low of 28F. Winds from the East at 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday
    chancerain
    Overcast with a chance of rain. High of 52F. Winds from the SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
    Saturday Night
    nt_chancesleet
    Overcast with ice pellets and a chance of snow, then a chance of snow after midnight. Low of 19F. Winds from the NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 70% with accumulations up to 2 in. possible.
    Sunday
    partlycloudy
    Overcast. High of 34F with a windchill as low as 10

Parking lot is the Nebo Ridge Parking Lot on Elkinsville Road at the sharp turn, see the maps marker on left,
    To get there you take 135 South off 46. I come in from 65 taking the Columbus exit at the Bob Evans there. Then I go West on 46 toward Nashville. If your gps says anything else ignore it and go the the intersection of 135 and 46 about 2 miles from Nashville. Go south on 135 to a Tee. There is an old stone head in the yard at the Tee. Turn Right (W) following 135 toward Story Indiana. When the road turns South again you don't. keep going straight past the front of the old Story Inn, (now Elkinsville Road).
    From there you are about six miles or so from the parking lot. Follow Elkinsville road past the first left turn that crosses an old bridge. Don't take this Left, go by it and then take every Left you see. First one crossed a bridge, winds around and the parking lot is on the left side of the road at a hairpin turn where Elkinsville road head steeply up.
    THE FOLLOWING WILL SOUND CONFUSING, BUT IT IS ACCURATE, SEE THE MAP TO BROWN HOLLOW.
    If your were going to hike yourself in, you would take the trail going S for about 20 minutes up Wilkerson Hill to a Y, a large open area. there is an orange arrow pointing left. That is the trail to Brown Hollow. There is one of those flexible signs saying no horses or bikes or something there a few feet after you turn left. (The right fork goes to Combs Road. )
    Follow this about 10 minutes keeping right at a Y that should be obvious. Another 10 minutes and you head downhill. into the hollow where you will find a Y in the creek. So, creek is going upstream to you Left and downstream to your right and upstream in the Y leading to the campsite. It's about ten minutes upstream. You cross at the Y and follow the stream on its Right bank for about 5 minutes then you cross the stream and you are about 3 minutes from camp.
    Hikers make it to Brown Hollow using these weird directions and the help of a GPS maybe.

(39.098661,-86.214008 DON'T USE THESE SEE BELOW. THIS IS ANOTHER MEETING PLACE)

Directions to the North Nebo Ridge Trail Head:
    From 65, take exit 68 on to 46 going west.
    Go South (left) on 135.
    At the T-intersection, take a right turn (you will still be on 135)
    At the Brown County State Park Entrance, take the left fork (you will still be on 135)
    Continue going straight when you enter Story town and pass the Story Inn on your right side.
    At this point, you are almost to the trailhead parking lot. After the wooden bridge, take a left and you are on the gravel road. If you have any doubts take only left turns at this point.

Originally Posted by bonsaihiker
    I plotted coordinates for the way in to Browning Hill from the North trailhead for my hike in last summer (since I had only hiked in from the South previously). I used Google Earth, and the coordinates matched up exactly during my hike. It's amazing how much of the trail you can see on Google.

I also attached two topos with the trails marked in red. I made a mistake the first time I traced the trail (not having been there) and that line is marked with "x's." From the North Trailhead, go to waypoint #4, turn left and follow the trail down to the campsite (marked "C#1" on map) at Brown Hollow. The next morning, re-trace trail back to waypoint #4, turn left, and follow the trail through waypoints 5, 6, and 7. The other red trail heading East, then South from waypoint #5 is the Nebo Ridge Trail heading to the South trailhead.

Anyway, here are the coordinates:

1: N39 04.757' W086 14.920' (North Trailhead)

2: N39 04.375' W086 14.708' (Top of Wilkerson Hill)

3: N39 04.202' W086 14.665' (Stay on trail to left)

4: N39 04.204' W086 14.488' (Brown Hollow is down trail to left or stay to right to go to Browning Hill)

C#1: N39 04.099' W086 13.491' (Brown Hollow Campsite--this is NOT located off a little spur trail to the East as I drew on the map, but about the same distance to the West on the trail shown, in the next draw west of that spur. However, there were some nice campsites located on that spur.)

Next morning, re-trace steps up hill to waypoint #4, then go to #5:

5: N39 03.801' W086 14.600' (Junction of Combs Road--CROSS ROAD through small campsite and follow small trail to rear on the right. Stay away from small trail leading back to Combs Road on left side of campsite. Junction with Nebo Trail South-bound is a few hundred yards before arriving at Combs Road from the North.)

6: N39 03.726' W086 15.342' (Just before junction with another trail heading back to left. Stay to right--not a big deal on way to Browning Hill but you can miss this intersection (or get mighty confused) on way back.

7: N39 03.808' W086 15.988' (Fire pit in center of the stonehenge on Browning Hill--You Made It!)

Other coordinates for 2 other trailheads:

Berry Ridge Trailhead (about a mile from Brown Hollow campsite, coordinates are close, but may not be exact, and there may not be a marked trailhead. OMS can chime in on this since he parked there last year): N39 03.740' W086 13.002.

South Nebo Ridge Trailhead (about a 6-7 mile hike to Brown Hollow, passes right by Berry Ridge Trailhead): N39 01.106' W086 14.533'

OK, that should get you there! The trails are clear but unmarked (though I bet Mule's caution tape is still there ), so you have to pay attention and it would be best to stick with someone familiar with the area.

Mules phone # 765-614-0500
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mule; 01-29-2014 at 14:23. Reason: add details
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Wish I could, have fun!
    Directionally challenged...comicly so.

Not all who wonder are lost...But I'm probably just lost.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Zach, I love it when you do show up. Makes for a better camp for sure. See you soon.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    I thought you didn't do cold ? Should be pretty cold , no ?

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    I thought you didn't do cold ? Should be pretty cold , no ?
    Oh sure, I do cold, but not just for the fact that it's cold out. O think it's getting down to around ten one of those nights, and that's cold, but not undoable. Wish you were coming, RIVERJOE.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    Can't join ya this time Mule, gotta work too much! Are you takin that new pack for a test drive?

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunred View Post
    Can't join ya this time Mule, gotta work too much! Are you takin that new pack for a test drive?

Yes,I hope it gets here as promised, Thursday.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunred View Post
    Hey Shotgunred! good to hear from you. Yes I cannot wait to see if what the reviewers are saying about this pack is real. If so I will have partially taken care of my legs going dangerously asleep when the pack it heavy.
    Here are a couple of the reviews.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...-chenault.html
    and http://paradoxpacks.com/design/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mule; 01-28-2014 at 07:08.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Oh sure, I do cold, but not just for the fact that it's cold out. O think it's getting down to around ten one of those nights, and that's cold, but not undoable. Wish you were coming, RIVERJOE.
    Wish I could come , but my work is so far behind right now , I have to catch up a bit , before I can play . I have been hiking more this winter to get more Mulelike tho .

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Mule like? Man you are going the wrong way LOL

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast