DreamHammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Let's Talk Condensation

Mother Goose bought this guy his very own DangerBird for Christmas, and I am one happy hanger! This hammock is sooooooooooo much better than my GrandTrunk or my kids' ENOs.

I've only taken it out once. With an overnight temp of 30F, I slept great, but in the morning, I was dealing with a moisture problem I hadn't anticipated. To be specific, I normally hang my socks from my ridgeline at night so they can dry out. This time, they were soaking wet and frost covered. The weather shield was damp enough that I unpacked it as soon as I got home and hung it up in the garage to dry.

So obviously no more socks from the ridgeline when the weather shield is up, but I'm wondering how to best manage the condensation in the hammock? Should I open one zipper a few inches to vent? Of course, that lets in cold air. Has anyone found the ideal way to deal with it?

Thanks, and, if you read this PapaSmurf, I am singing DH's praises to all my friends!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Thanks, I hope your DangerBird serves you well.

I guess I must not put out a lot of moisture like some folks. I use my overcover quite a bit, but rarely have any issues with condensation. Usually when things do get kinda damp, it's because I've misjudged the size of the opening and didn't discover my error until the next morning.

Maybe you're just extra juicy?

I recommend telling Mother Goose that you need many more nights in the hammock to experiment with varying degrees of ventilation.

I have found I need to leave the zipper open a couple inches. Woke up once to a mini snow shower once when they were all the way shut and temp was 20*. That said I love my DB and its overcover. It has made such a difference in hammock camping in colder temps for me.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    DreamHammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Thanks, I hope your DangerBird serves you well.

I guess I must not put out a lot of moisture like some folks. I use my overcover quite a bit, but rarely have any issues with condensation. Usually when things do get kinda damp, it's because I've misjudged the size of the opening and didn't discover my error until the next morning.

Maybe you're just extra juicy?

I recommend telling Mother Goose that you need many more nights in the hammock to experiment with varying degrees of ventilation.
    Extra juicy?

What did you mean by misjudging the size of the opening? Are you talking about venting with one of the zippers?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose 1 View Post
    What did you mean by misjudging the size of the opening? Are you talking about venting with one of the zippers?
    I usually vent by opening both zippers a little ways and tucking the excess fabric over the ridgeline to keep it out of the way. I adjust the size of the hole for different conditions.
    Here's a photo.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose 1 View Post
    Extra juicy?

I usually vent by opening both zippers a little ways and tucking the excess fabric over the ridgeline to keep it out of the way. I adjust the size of the hole for different conditions.
    Here's a photo.

All of this is why I was so surprised when I had almost no condensation that night at ~6F using the HHSS with over cover(no tarp). I was really expecting a good bit, I was actually expecting frost inside. I had ~ zero except on the piece of fleece that was hanging down from the RL in front of my face.

So I have tried to figure out how I escaped a lot more condensation.
    1: All of the vapor that I breathed out was caught by the fleece that was close to my face. Maybe in the past this(exhaled vapor) supplied the bulk of any condensation.
    2: The HH over cover has a approximately 6" diameter hole that ends up pretty much right over my face. Maybe this is quite effective?
    3: I was using VB clothing. I would not think that additional vapor coming off of my skin( without VB clothing to stop it) and making it past the breathable TQ shell would be near as much as what is exhaled, but I really don't know.

My guess is that the fleece moisture catcher was the main work horse in keeping me and the inside of the OC and the TQ shell so dry. Since the fleece was quite damp. But maybe the vent hole helped a lot too, as maybe even the VB clothing a bit.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch Side, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti/flight jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Here's a photo.

That craftsmanship has me ready to pull the trigger. My bday is 3/1 and i see a TBird in my future.
    "Life is hard, it's harder when your stupid" John Wayne

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    1: All of the vapor that I breathed out was caught by the fleece that was close to my face. Maybe in the past this(exhaled vapor) supplied the bulk of any condensation.
    This. Watch Shug's video about the -40 night and look at all the frost on the fleece in front of his face in the morning. He's a popsicle! I'm guessing the frost from Goose's breath just found a good spot to cling to on the socks. Maybe hang some fleece/use a fleece bib near your face and hang the socks down toward the foot end. Or, just sleep with the socks in the quilts with you, if they're not soaked.

Hammock
    DreamHammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Here's a photo.
    Bingo! That's what I needed to know. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, how would the DangerBird perform in the rain if I didn't pitch a tarp? I'm not really planning on trying it, but I am wondering (obviously, a down UQ would be useless in that scenerio.

Hammock
    DreamHammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Meekin View Post
    That craftsmanship has me ready to pull the trigger. My bday is 3/1 and i see a TBird in my future.
    The quality is amazing. If my GrandTrunk was a Honda, then my DangerBird is a BMW.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast