10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith

Burr Oaks to Wildcat SE Ohio

Looking at parking at Dock 1 Hiking to Wildcat then back over a weekend in the spring.
    My question, is there a good trail to Wildcat off the Burr Oak trail or do I need to road walk it.
    I'm looking at Backpacking Ohio and talking to people I hike with to figure out but also asking on here.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Yes but not sure about the details, you might look into the E.G.G.S hike on the summer solstice, it combines both trails in a 1 day 40 mile endurance hike but if you could find the route maps that might give you some idea about the way the trails intersect.

I was hiking with a couple of the organizers recently, they described a figure 8 route combining the two loops.

Emma Grandma Gatewood Solstice Hike
    http://www.buckeyetrail.org/eggs.php

David

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Thanks Bannerstone. I have friends in the COHB that have done that and tracked it on an app.
    I can do 15 mi 18 if I have to push it but 20 a day makes my bad knee turn to jello. It is 23 around the lake and I think it will only add 2+ mi to WILDCAT.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    When you looking to do the hike? I am looking to get a 40 mile or so in the week of March 28- April 5. I am thinking of doing Shawnee since I have not done it yet. I have done Burr Oak and Wildcat Hollow, both are good hikes.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    I have done 10 mi at Burr Oak. Loved the trail but not the camping areas. You have to pay and camp in the designated areas in the park. I have heard of people both stealth camping and just setting up with the intent to pay when/if the ranger came but no ranger so no pay. This is why I plan on hang at WC, because I know it is free and legal. This will aslo force me to hike the whole thing since there is no short cuts across the lake.

I haven't done Shawnee either. From my understanding it is a series of PUDS with no switch backs. I have a bad knee that does not like constant steep ups and downs.
    I do know that COHB(on meetup.com) has a Shawnee hike going on that you might want to check out.
    KIA I see you're in Dublin I'm in Hilliard, if you want to get together to compare setups or for a hike let me know. I do the Wednesday hike with COHB at highbanks at 6pm. It is every Wednesday rain or shine and we move between 3 to 4mph. I have also wanted to checkout the new trail-running trails at Alum Creek to get in shape for Southern Ohio hikes.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Very cool JLink that you get out with the COHB, good group and very well led. I join in on some of the longer outings like Zaleski or Mohican. I often get out the night before and just meet them at the trailhead.

David

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    I am not familiar with COHB. I have always been a bit of a loner, not that I mind groups, just worked out that way. I have looked at going on several group hangs, but I'd rather backpack as I get quite a bit of camping with my 3 boys that are in Scouts. Also, I have done most of the good OH hikes, but having grown up 40 mins from Dolly Sods, I often return to that area for my adventures. I am looking at doing several OH hikes this year since I have the time, I teach at Eastland Career Center and now have summers off. I may check out the Wednesday hike, but I have a meeting I usually attend at 7:00 on Wednesdays. I live in Riverside Green, so we are close!

I am determined to make a group hang to meet more local folks. I like seeing what others have although I am a lightweight gear junkie who has rooms of gear!

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Hi,

I thought I would drop in on this thread since I am local to ya'll. I live in Hilliard. I have not done Burr Oak, but it does sound interesting.

We should all meet and hang.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Once I decide on a date I'll post it for any that want to join. Like I said I'll camp at Wildcat because from what I saw there is not a good area for hammocks at Burr Oak. They do have a group site but it is an open field.
    Things to know about WC:
    1.It is a primitive area.
    2.it does have a latrine at the parking area, but not at where I plan to hang.
    3. It does not have a water source. I plan on stashing some near the hang site. I also will fillup on the trail before going from BO to WC and once back on the trail at BO.

If someone wants to join me I would be glad to park one car at WC and the other at the starting point so there is an emergency bailout option. If anyone wants to just come for the hang that would be cool.
    I do want to do this hike, but would also be interested in a trip to Zaleski. I hope to get my knee in shape to do Shawnee at some point. I get jelly knee after the Mohican 15 mi hike that Bannerstone was talking about (they throw in a few good steep hills 9n the mountain bike trails there).

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    I will keep an eye out. You are right about the BO cam sites, they are not good to say the least. I have done Zaleski several times, it's always a good option over that way, the water and latrines make it a bit easier for kids and beginners and those that just don't like to dig a hole...Tar Hollow (chief Logan Trail) is another nice one with a nice campsite in the middle of the figure 8 (10 mile loops). I will also be working my way up to Shawnee. I may do some hikes in PA, WV and KY, the planning has just begun!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast