Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Simply the best cover for foul weather...

... is a 12' x 10' heavy duty black and silver tarp I bought from Home Depot for $24. I've used it a number of times now, in especially bad weather, and it's protected me wonderfully. It keeps me warm and dry and out of the wind. The only downside is the weight at about 6 pounds.

Last time I used it, I had it set up in what I call the "dormer configuration" anchored like a Warbonnet Superfly with the doors closed, and I had enough room to set up my cook stove and make my dinner while it stormed.

I even prefer it over my Hennessy Typhoon, which is nice and light but a little disappointing when it comes to coverage.

With all the possible configurations, literally dozens and dozens because of the grommet every three feet, this tarp is a permanent fixture in my backpack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    These large sized tarps are what I use when the season calls for it. I have a 10x11 silnylon so it is a fraction of the weight, but quite more expensive. I also have a DIY version which was much cheaper.

Hammock
    11ft DIY, Gathered End with bug net
    Tarp
    3mx3m with doors
    Insulation
    diy down uq and tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    nice! and i see your dog likes photo bombing too

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I too like the advantages of a larger tarp when truck or boat camping. In addition to hammock camping I sometimes camp in a tentcot when alone, and in a large tent when the family comes with me. Last Friday I went tarp mad, and ordered several to take care of all of my foreseeable exposures: 12x14 and 12x18 clear poly reinforced, and a heavy-duty 12mil 20X20 silver over white. These have grommets every 18 inches, and the white interior on the large should reflect lantern light rather than absorb it. Also, Texsport metal 8-foot telescoping tent poles, 24 and 72 inch heavy duty bungee cords for guy-ropes. Tons of configuration possibilities. I'll probably need four foot long stakes to keep the large anchored in the wind! I seldom backpack except during hunting season, so I don't have to worry about weight. In the last 40 years I have had occasion to need them. Now, I want to have them in case I need them again rather than need them and not have them.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by The_hanging_dog View Post
    nice! and i see your dog likes photo bombing too
    LOL! Yeah... that's Otto.

He's a good camping dog...

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    These large sized tarps are what I use when the season calls for it. I have a 10x11 silnylon so it is a fraction of the weight, but quite more expensive. I also have a DIY version which was much cheaper.
    They do work great...

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonykarter View Post
    I too like the advantages of a larger tarp when truck or boat camping. In addition to hammock camping I sometimes camp in a tentcot when alone, and in a large tent when the family comes with me. Last Friday I went tarp mad, and ordered several to take care of all of my foreseeable exposures: 12x14 and 12x18 clear poly reinforced, and a heavy-duty 12mil 20X20 silver over white. These have grommets every 18 inches, and the white interior on the large should reflect lantern light rather than absorb it. Also, Texsport metal 8-foot telescoping tent poles, 24 and 72 inch heavy duty bungee cords for guy-ropes. Tons of configuration possibilities. I'll probably need four foot long stakes to keep the large anchored in the wind! I seldom backpack except during hunting season, so I don't have to worry about weight. In the last 40 years I have had occasion to need them. Now, I want to have them in case I need them again rather than need them and not have them.
    Man... you don't mess around, do you?

• + New Posts