Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles

Alternative to actual sewing?

My sewing skills are limited to some crude repairs with a 'Speedy Stitcher' and I don't like to keep asking my wife to do all my projects for me. So... I was wondering if there is a product that can be just ironed/glued where a seam is needed. Or maybe just a glue that will join fabric. In searching, I found fabric tape that is used for making hems in garments. It comes in about a 1/2" strip. I was thinking maybe something wider that could be ironed on and still be somewhat flexible. Is there such a product? Does it work satisfactorily?
    Specifically, I will be working on a PLUQ and maybe some nylon fabric for gear bags, pack covers, etc, so the seams will not be under a great deal of stress.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I was thinking maybe something wider that could be ironed on and still be somewhat flexible. Is there such a product? Does it work satisfactorily?
    Such products do exist. That answers the first question.

Do they work satisfactorily depends on who you talk to. For me... their use is extremely limited to interfacing (a garment term) and applique use. (Patches. decals and other adornment.) They can be problematic for nylon fabrics and virtually useless for silnyl. They are best used on natural fabrics which will absorbs some of the adhesive and create a more permanent bond. Synthetics are more impermeable and have a harder time adhering permanently.

All in all, I think you would be better off time wise and cost wise to learn to sew. Of course then you may need your own sewing machine. But the best way around that hurdle is buy the wife a new machine to meet _her_ specs and then you get the machine she currently has.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Such products do exist. That answers the first question.

Do they work satisfactorily depends on who you talk to. For me... their use is extremely limited to interfacing (a garment term) and applique use. (Patches. decals and other adornment.) They can be problematic for nylon fabrics and virtually useless for silnyl. They are best used on natural fabrics which will absorbs some of the adhesive and create a more permanent bond. Synthetics are more impermeable and have a harder time adhering permanently.

All in all, I think you would be better off time wise and cost wise to learn to sew. Of course then you may need your own sewing machine. But the best way around that hurdle is buy the wife a new machine to meet _her_ specs and then you get the machine she currently has.
    +1

and I even like your scheming Rev...

I've used the hemming tape and it doesn't even hold up long term for holding a hem let alone a seam. It's kind of okay for an emergency repair job but that's it.

The other alternative to learning to sew your own stuff is just to figure out a barter system with the wife so that it's more an even trade!! What renovation project is on her wish list...

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    I've decided recently to dive into the wonderful world of making my own. Since last Thursday or Friday I have not only acquired the family thread injector (1948 Kenmore) and started restoring it to its glory days. But I've also taken temporary custody of my mom's more modern Kenmore to learn on. Before yesterday I had never done more than a hand stitch to fix a button.

To say my mom was more than amused teaching her 40 year old son to thread and run a sewing machine, is an understatement.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Forgot the most important part. Just cut up some old t-shirts and get a crash course and start practicing. I know this may be easier said than done when it comes to the wife's "precious" but I can talk big, I don't have a wife to worry about.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Well, I am getting the answers I expected but not the answers I wanted. Was hoping to be able to take the easy way out.
    So, that leaves me with 2 options. I can learn to sew or I can schmooz the wife. Think I'll take door #2 for now.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    Well, I am getting the answers I expected but not the answers I wanted. Was hoping to be able to take the easy way out.
    So, that leaves me with 2 options. I can learn to sew or I can schmooz the wife. Think I'll take door #2 for now.
    Look in to 3M 9460 transfer adhesive. It is an adhesive on a backing paper that comes on a roll like tape. Should work very well on un-coated nylon. I've heard of folks using it on kite sails without sewing. I've used it as a seam tape for kite sails I've sewn (icarex pc31 fabric). Makes sewing way easier because everything is stuck in place by the time you get to the sewing machine. Also, when making your seams, you can apply it to one piece of fabric where you need it, lay it out, put the other piece over it, then peel the backer off an inch at a time to get your seam just how you want it.

Good luck.

Hammock
    trying as many as possible
    Tarp
    a big one
    Insulation
    DIY poncho liner
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I gave up looking for alternatives to sewing. I like the idea of using silnylon but no luck with sewing it effectively. I have sewn a lot of things but nothing of any quality. I have sewn shirts and jeans and anything laying around but mostly its more efficient for me to have someone else do it for me.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
    Makes sewing way easier because everything is stuck in place by the time you get to the sewing machine.
    IMO this is a really bad idea. The adhesive will gum up the needle something fierce and can transfer that gum to the working innards. Then you have a real mess. Use the adhesive _or_ the sewing but IMO not both.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    IMO this is a really bad idea. The adhesive will gum up the needle something fierce and can transfer that gum to the working innards. Then you have a real mess. Use the adhesive _or_ the sewing but IMO not both.
    Understandable that you would take this opinion. I've sewn a handful of sails this way, and aside from having to pull a little goo off the needle every once in a while when making the seam with the tape, my machine (really my wife's machine ) is no worse for wear. Haven't heard of anyone else having issues either. YMMV

Eta: Some links to info on the tape. Some mixed reviews on using it on nylon. My own experience is on polycarbonate coated fabrics where it works extremely well.

http://www.kitebuilder.com/wiki/pmwi...DoubleFaceTape

http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6313

http://fighterkitecentral.com/cgi-bi...c;f=3;t=000010
    Last edited by dingbat; 01-29-2014 at 22:01.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast