Hennessey Hex 30D vs. JRB Cat tarp

What is your guys opinion between the two tarps?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Are you talking about the JRB Hex Tarp or their 11-x-10 Tarp?

Let's look at a side-by-side comparison, shall we?

JRB Hex Tarps:
    Type: Hex with cat cut
    Dimensions: 11' x 8'
    Weight: 12.8 oz (sil version), 19.5 oz (camo print PU-coated version), or 9.9 oz (Spinnaker version; not currently in stock, unsure if they'll get it back, as waterproof Spinn is hard to come by these days)
    Cost: $136.95 plus shipping (sil version), $106.95 (camo print PU-coated version), no price listed for Spinn

JRB 11-x-10 Tarp:
    Type: Rectangle with cat cut
    Dimensions: 11' x 10'
    Weight: 19 oz
    Cost: $144.95

Hennessy Hex 30d Sil Tarp:
    Type: Hex with cat cut ridgeline
    Dimensions: 12' x 10'
    Weight: 18.6 oz
    Cost: $139.95

Of the three of them, I'd go with the Spinn version of the JRB hex if it was available. Since it's not, currently, I'd go with the JRB hex in 30d sil. It's lighter, has more than enough coverage for all of the gathered-end hammocks that I'm aware of on the market right now (if your hammock is more than 10" between whipping ends--note that I'm talking about actual ridgeline length here rather than body length; an 11' hammock generally has a 9'2" ridgeline--then another tarp may be better for you), cheaper (slightly), and supports one of our cottage manufacturers.

Hope it helps!
    Last edited by FLRider; 01-31-2014 at 15:16.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Yes thank you! I should have been more specific with my request but was in a hurry. I have a Hennessey Explorer Ultralight. Going elk hunting in Early September. Expected elevation 9000 ft and up. Who knows what the weather will be like. I've had to wear shorts before then the next day covered with 6 in. of snow. Makes it a little hard to figure out what I need to prepare for. Always been out of an outfitter tent base camp before, so could always bring the kitchen sink with me. My cousin and I were looking fora little more adventure so we're putting everything on our backs and going for it. Ought to b quite an adventure. Weight is somewhat of an issue but still want protection in case I need it. Thanks for your input.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post

JRB 11-x-10 Tarp:
    Type: Rectangle with cat cut
    Dimensions: 11' x 8'
    Weight: 19 oz
    Cost: $144.95

Hennessy Hex 30d Sil Tarp:
    Type: Hex with cat cut ridgeline
    Dimensions: 12' x 10'
    Weight: 18.6 oz
    Cost: $139.95

Of the three of them, I'd go with the Spinn version of the JRB hex if it was available. Since it's not, currently, I'd go with the JRB hex in 30d sil. It's lighter, has more than enough coverage for all of the gathered-end hammocks that I'm aware of on the market right now (if your hammock is more than 10" between whipping ends--note that I'm talking about actual ridgeline length here rather than body length; an 11' hammock generally has a 9'2" ridgeline--then another tarp may be better for you), cheaper (slightly), and supports one of our cottage manufacturers.

Hope it helps!
    11x8 is a typo I'm sure. JRB 11x10 rectangle is 11x10

Quote Originally Posted by chulabooner View Post
    Yes thank you! I should have been more specific with my request but was in a hurry. I have a Hennessey Explorer Ultralight. Going elk hunting in Early September. Expected elevation 9000 ft and up. Who knows what the weather will be like. I've had to wear shorts before then the next day covered with 6 in. of snow. Makes it a little hard to figure out what I need to prepare for. Always been out of an outfitter tent base camp before, so could always bring the kitchen sink with me. My cousin and I were looking fora little more adventure so we're putting everything on our backs and going for it. Ought to b quite an adventure. Weight is somewhat of an issue but still want protection in case I need it. Thanks for your input.
    I have the JRB 11x10 and the sil hex HH. The HH is actually quite nice, but I would choose the JRB at the same price. Though you have an extra foot of coverage on the ends with the 12 foot HH, the hex cut does away with much benefit from that compared to the rectangular cut of the JRB which gives more coverage on the sides. Since either is likely to cover the ends of most hammocks especially with a RR. Plus the rectangle tarp might be a little easier to use as though it has doors, and an 11 ft tarp will need less distance between the trees and I think you could hang it closer to the hammock ridge line before running into interference. Being very close to the same weight means you are going to have about the same coverage in sq. ft., just depends on which way you think those sq.ft. are deployed will work best for you: more coverage right up top, or more coverage on the sides near the ends with the rectangle?

Plus the JRB has small cat cuts that really help with a tight pitch and the wind, and is easy to deploy in several different configurations, like a Baker Hut, or a tarp tent with a 10 ft ridgeline.

But if the price was much better with the HH, I'd be happy with that one also, both are good! A hex cut with no cat cuts and a 12 ft RL(HH) vs a rectangle with cat cuts but only 11 ft RL, both about 19 oz.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    11x8 is a typo I'm sure. JRB 11x10 rectangle is 11x10
    Yes, yes it was! Thank you for catching it; I've corrected it in the original post!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Yes, yes it was! Thank you for catching it; I've corrected it in the original post!
    I hesitated to even point it out as it was so obviously a typo, but then I thought a noob might get confused, so.... I'm pretty good at spotting typos, mostly my own. As the worlds worst typist, I spend more time correcting my typos after the fact than I do writing my original War and Peace sized posts.

For the OP: BTW, here is a pic of the HH Sil-nyl Hex over my bottom entry HH Explorer UL(one of their longer models):

Yes, I know that is not a 30 degree hang, but those trees are about 21 ft apart, and kind of thin higher up so I can't go but so high.
    Here it is hung under a MacCat DLX for comparison:

And here, hung over a Speer hammock with PeaPod insulation:

As you can see, not likely to get wet with this tarp.

I mentioned how easy it is to pitch a JRB in different modes. Here is a Baker Hut, set to block wind on one side, lots of room on the other:

Here is the JRB in normal use in WY mountains, pitched wide for room rather than a storm pitch:

Here is the JRB with the ends closed against the wind, hung over a JRB BMBH using Grip Clips tp pull the sides out and make room for the bridge hammocks spreader bars even while closing the ends:

Here is how much room that gave inside:
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-31-2014 at 17:46.

Cool. Good info guys. I really appreciate it very much. The pics really help. Looks to me like JRB 11x10 is best but if I find a smokin' deal on a HH Hex it would suffice.

• + New Posts