Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Like Boston, I prefer a footbox to keep (or get it back) it in place. I use the Jacks R Better fleece liner/blanket indoors and in warmer weather. They are one of the items that go on sale from time to time.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Poncho liner, yeti
    Suspension
    WB Adjust/web/sus
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    I use a poncho liner year-round down here in FL. It was cheap, durable, light for the cost, and warm for the cost. For most folks, I'd recommend one down to ~45º F. Below 40º (I sleep pretty warm), I simply supplement with clothing and better bottom insulation.

Been meaning to change over my top insulation to lighter, more compact stuff for a while now, but that liner has just been too useful over the past three years for me to make the jump yet. Sooner or later, though...
    Do you use it just as a tq or wrap it around yourself from the bottom? I'd like to give the poncho liner a try with the green bag from my MSS and see how that works out.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PS82 View Post
    Do you use it just as a tq or wrap it around yourself from the bottom? I'd like to give the poncho liner a try with the green bag from my MSS and see how that works out.
    Top quilt. I take the foot-end ties and tie the three of them together (the bottom two corners, then tie the middle one around the other knot). I then tie together the mid-point ties together. This makes a pseudo-bag that's really easy to get into and out of. The only real downfall for it, in my opinion, is that the footbox is not really enclosed; it allows some drafts, making for cold feet when you're at the bottom end of the temperature range of the liner. This can be somewhat solved by running shock cord through a couple of holes burned in the bottom edging channel and adding a cordlock. It's not been enough of an annoyance for me to actually do it, yet, though. (Note: I'm pretty lazy, though, so...)

If you're looking to use the liner as an underquilt, well, there are a couple of threads on how to do that. A PLUQ works, but isn't very warm for the weight compared to other under insulation options (~1.5 lbs for the no-sew version, more if you add insulation to the sewn version). It is, however warm for the weight at the price it is.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have a PL that I toss into the hammock with me when temps are not suppose to get below 75 or so. Below that I have a DIY down TQ that I always take with me for just in case. I be caught more than once when it was not suppose to go below 70 at night when a front with wind has knocked the temps into the low 60/high 50.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12