New member - SC & WNC

Hello all.

New to this forum but not new to hammocks. Live in Columbia, SC and have a 2nd home in the mountains of the temperate rain forests of western NC (near Flat Rock). Getting older, and not so much of an overnight camper any more, but I do love day hikes into the deep woods of WNC and SC, punctuated with a mid day hammock nap. I have several hammocks, including a Hennessey, a mini hammock/hammock seat, a couple of 2-person parachute silk hammocks I bought on line, and another one I made myself.

I am also, strangely enough, into tree climbing -- the serious type, with climbing saddle (harness), arborist's climbing ropes, hitches, pulleys, prussics, and all the usual climbing hardware recreational tree climbers accumulate. I have looked at the cost of a "Tree Boat" hammock, and passed on this option, as I don't really intend to spend the night in a tree, or do more work than just rigging than a secure 2-point hang (tree trunk and one limb) for a hammock. I am considering making my own size large tree hammock (6'4"/250#).

Posting the usual warnings about climbing and rigging hammocks higher off the ground than one is willing to fall isn't necessary, as I am well aware of the risks and the precautions necessary, but if you must, thanks for your concern.

My thought is to buy some bulk 1.5" polypropylene webbing and make a tree hammock from ripstop nylon covering a tight "cargo net" weave of polypropylene webbing on the backside, contoured to the hang of the hammock, and sewn both at the webbing overlaps and to the overlying ripstop nylon fabric. Has anyone here ever made a reinforced tree hammock like this?

Not looking to do anything stupid, like shedding my climbing harness or spending the night in the tree -- it's just that at my age (and weight), tree climbing has become very hard work. I would really like to make a safe, fairly comfortable and easy to rig tree hammock where I could rest after my climb to enjoy the accomplishment and the view for a while before I have to come back down. Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Welcome!

I have to say that I admire you tree climbers ever since I saw this National Geographic episode on some scientist/botanist (not sure what he was really but he was significant to his field) who spent a lot of time climbing and sleeping in the great sequoias. It was just a fascinating watch.

Of course, it added something more to my 'bucket' list : ) If you ever want to share your knowledge, I'd be willing to take the drive.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Welcome from Irmo. If you're not into overnights, next time we're at Sesqui State Park (we were just there this past weekend), join Palmetto State Hangers for a day and get to know the locals!
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Welcome from Philly.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness

I always take a hammock with me on a day hike so if I get tired, I can take a break.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Welcome to the forums from upstate SC.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    Welcome!

I have to say that I admire you tree climbers ever since I saw this National Geographic episode on some scientist/botanist (not sure what he was really but he was significant to his field) who spent a lot of time climbing and sleeping in the great sequoias. It was just a fascinating watch.

Of course, it added something more to my 'bucket' list : ) If you ever want to share your knowledge, I'd be willing to take the drive.
    Well, if you or any others here don't yet have enough outdoor gear, and if you want to give it a try, check out this site:

http://www.wesspur.com/climbing-kits...mbing-kit.html

http://www.wesspur.com/climbing-kits...bing-kits.html

http://www.wesspur.com/items/cli906.html

Caution, if you are a "gear hound", climbing is one of the more expensive addictions (like air rifles, firearms, reloading, knife collecting, hog hunting, fly fishing, 4-wheeling and such).

But then, there are no shortage of trees to climb or places to hang a comfortable hammock in WNC. One of God's most beautiful places on earth.
    Last edited by TEC; 01-31-2014 at 22:23.

• + New Posts