SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Converting ENO Double to Whoopie suspension

There might already be a thread on this, but I'm lazy.

I own an ENO doublenest which I sleep well in, but there's a bit of weight in the suspension system, plus the slapstraps I use don't work too well with larger trees (12" + dia). I'm going to convert to Whoopie slings. I want to actually secure the whoopie directly to the hammock.

My concern is the rope I'm replacing is a lot thicker than the whoopie sling and I worry the concentrated weight on the whoopie might cause the hammock material to fail.

Will this be a problem...or am I just being paranoid?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    I am interested in the responses you get. I also have an ENO Doublenest and just ordered whoopie slings, shock cord and guy lines for my Hennessey Hex tarp.
    Who Dat!

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    What I do is simply get rid of the stock rope loops, pass the end of the whoopie through the channel, and pass the whole thing through the small loop.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    I just replaced my eno double stock rope with Ho made continous loops and the connect it to the whoopies with beaners. I was going to put the whoopies directly to the hammock but wanted a clip between the hammock and slings. Also a water break. However after watching shug's videos he shows if you put the whoopie on the hammock and aim the tail the right way it acts as a water break.
    I used amsteel or whatever for the loops and went thru the hammock twice and then thru it self. I feel very safe. The loop is not only sucured by the loop or fold in the hammock and also "nuces" the hammock material with the double loop around it.
    I had never made whoopies or continous loops before but youtube a video a bam. Super easy.
    Eno has a knot on the inside of the channel you need to work out but again easy step.
    I thinkENO uses way oversized rope so that even if half the rope was frayed away they would still avoid a lawsuit.
    I will make a 1.1 ultra light mock and sucure the whoopies directly to the mock using the same method but just use the fixed loop and double it thru the hammock.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I replaced the ENO Double Nest rope with whoopies on several hammocks. Just removed the rope, and looped the whoopie through twice and then through the Brummel. It is a lot lighter than the original, and easier to get just right.

Here is a video that describes the process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlwPKoKw9Q
    Last edited by donig; 01-31-2014 at 20:10.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch hdwe
    Here' said link: http://youtu.be/zXlwPKoKw9Q

I used a continuos loop, Dutch whoopie hook and then clip that to my whoopies.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch hdwe
    Opps, you beat me to it. LOL

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsx-rboy750 View Post
    I just replaced my eno double stock rope with Ho made continous loops and the connect it to the whoopies with beaners. I was going to put the whoopies directly to the hammock but wanted a clip between the hammock and slings. Also a water break. However after watching shug's videos he shows if you put the whoopie on the hammock and aim the tail the right way it acts as a water break.
    I used amsteel or whatever for the loops and went thru the hammock twice and then thru it self. I feel very safe. The loop is not only sucured by the loop or fold in the hammock and also "nuces" the hammock material with the double loop around it.
    I had never made whoopies or continous loops before but youtube a video a bam. Super easy.
    Eno has a knot on the inside of the channel you need to work out but again easy step.
    I thinkENO uses way oversized rope so that even if half the rope was frayed away they would still avoid a lawsuit.
    I will make a 1.1 ultra light mock and sucure the whoopies directly to the mock using the same method but just use the fixed loop and double it thru the hammock.
    Perfect! It makes sense to me now and I won't worry about the smaller diameter amsteel. I actually ordered amsteel continous loops, whoopies and tree slings from Dutch (except I only oredered one whoopie, so have to get another one) with the plan to use the loop on the hammock connected to the whoopie.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    I ordered my amsteel and other stuff from dutch also. I would order some amsteel and try making a whoopie. You'll find that skill will transulates in to others. My friend found out I knew how to splice and wants some toe rope now. Same material bigger diameter.

If your not using a hook or something between i dont seen the point to do a continous loop to whoopie. I was actually thinking about making. Soft shackle with a loop after the knot and use those to connect to the whoopie from the hammock for a ultra light setup with the ability to quickly disconnect the hammock. Or making whoopies with a soft schackel instead of a loop.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast