Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Questions about ground sleeping with quilt.

Hi everyone, first post here!

I know that this is not a hammock question, but I was directed to this site because I was told a lot of you have experience with quilts.

I am a large guy a 6' 290 pounds and was in the market for a 20 degree sleeping bag. After some research I was convinced that being so large what I really wanted was a quilt that would keep me warm in the cold, not be tight and constrictive, and be versatile so in warmer weather I can cover less of my body.

Right now I am looking at a 20 degree burrow from Hammockgear.com. Can anyone speak of the quality of these quilts and service from Hammockgear? Their prices almost seem too good to be true. A 74"x55" 850 fill goose down quilt weighing in at only 18.7 oz for only $265 is out of sight! Do you guys think the 55" is wide enough to nicely cover my large frame?

My major concern here is the sleeping pad. Will these inflatable sleeping pads hold my 290lbs weight? I am concerned. I fear using this open backed quilt out on a cold 25 degree night only to have my sleeping pad deflate and end up freezing on the cold ground. Are there any recomendations or advice any of you could give me about this?

Thanks you all!

---Joe

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ET's
    Feel free to check our quilts as well...HG makes very nice gear as do all of the Cottage Vendors here...it might be a good idea to call Adam at HG or Paul here at UGQ to the exact quilt you are looking for and get your questions answered
    Missy Lou - Senior Tarp Queen @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF /W Doors
    Insulation
    HG BR50 IB20
    Suspension
    WB Adjustable Susp
    I called Adam and asked the same question. He had me make a note in the comments section of my order to Hammock Gear. He can sew small loops on the side of the quilt. Its similar to the Thermorest quilts and blankets loops if you have seen one of those. My order will be delivered Monday. I will post some pics and share my thoughts.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    What Missy said. Call a couple of the cottage vendors and get their input. You might want to give them your measurements (chest, waist, hips) along with heights so they can determine you need something custom made or not.

As for sleeping pads, you are going to need to be the judge of that. Personally I freeze my butt off on the ground with just a pad under me. I hear good things about the SynMat 9 Deluxe (http://www.amazon.com/Exped-SynMat-S.../dp/B001SFDJ1I) but it would be pretty heavy to hike with assuming you are hiking. I do know that stacking pads does not work well as they will slide all over the place on me. I have however put a pad on top of a CCF pad with good success when it is really cold out.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just so you are clear, this is not a sleeping bag. A quilt cannot restrict you. It may let drafts in if the side is raised when moving around. If your pad deflates, a bag or quilt will not help. The ground will suck the heat out of you. Go with a closed footbox and if you wish to make it a little warmer see if a draft collar could be added. Hammock Gear makes awesome quilts. The workmanship is not in question here. http://www.undergroundquilts.com/ also makes fine quilts. Look for features that best serve your needs. I have straps with quick release clips on my http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/arc...c_alpinist.htm to help tuck and keep the sides down. These quilts cost more then they should. Bought it long before HG and UGQ were in business.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF /W Doors
    Insulation
    HG BR50 IB20
    Suspension
    WB Adjustable Susp
    As for pads. Im a big guy to. Im 6'3" and am down to 280 LBS. I have several pads but the Thermorest Neoair XLite large and it is plenty warm but for me not the most comfortable. I also have a Big Agnes SL Q-core Large and it is most warm and SUPER comfy but heavy. Thats why I went to the trees. My WBBB XLC is so but better that any pad I have tried yet.

Quote Originally Posted by nfarrar View Post
    As for pads. Im a big guy to. Im 6'3" and am down to 280 LBS. I have several pads but the Thermorest Neoair XLite large and it is plenty warm but for me not the most comfortable. I also have a Big Agnes SL Q-core Large and it is most warm and SUPER comfy but heavy. Thats why I went to the trees. My WBBB XLC is so but better that any pad I have tried yet.
    This is good to know. I've been looking at the large NeoAir XTherm as its lightweight and has a higher R-value than the xlite and it probably has a little tougher material I'd guess. (I havent seen it in person)

Backpacking is the final goal, so I dont mind investing the money for a good pad, BUT I dont want to buy a $220 pad and have it fail on me after a year. How is REI's return policies these days? I'm not one of thoe guys that going to hike in a pair of boots for 10 years and return them because they start to wear, But If I buy a $220 pad I expect 4-5 years out of it. If I bought the NeoAir XTherm from REI and it failed before 4-5 years would I be unreasonable to want to return it, and would REI accept the return? This is of course only for reasons that would be no fault of mine. Obviously If I poke a hole in the thing from misuse thats all on me.

pad use

When I have to go ground hugging, I always use a thermarest zlite Sol under my air pad. Its light and provides some protection and some insulation. I think it has a r rating of 2.8. Its bulky so I have to strap it on the outside of the pack. If it ismoderately cold, I use my Big Agnes insulated air core. If its cold in the upper teens or 20s, I'll use a prolite plus (that way I don't have to inflate as much air). I've looked at the Neo line, I just don't like the noise when you move on the pad.
    I know HG and UGQ have great products based on their reputations. You might also check Wilderness Logics. They offer a King size quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Just so you are clear, this is not a sleeping bag. A quilt cannot restrict you. It may let drafts in if the side is raised when moving around. If your pad deflates, a bag or quilt will not help. The ground will suck the heat out of you. Go with a closed footbox and if you wish to make it a little warmer see if a draft collar could be added. Hammock Gear makes awesome quilts. The workmanship is not in question here. http://www.undergroundquilts.com/ also makes fine quilts. Look for features that best serve your needs. I have straps with quick release clips on my http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/arc...c_alpinist.htm to help tuck and keep the sides down. These quilts cost more then they should. Bought it long before HG and UGQ were in business.
    Yes, Ive wondered about drafts. But being such a big guy the quilt seems to be a better option than being squeezed into a mummy bag.

In reality I am aiming for a 20 degree quilt as something that will keep me warm on those rare nights that I am out that they temps dip to like 28-29 degrees. Can I expect to be warm with a 20 degree quilt? I expect most nights with the wuilt will be in the mid 30's and higher for spring and fall backpacking. The whole concept of a quilt is very strange to me, but so many people have recomended it to me over a mummy bag that I have to give it serious consideration.

new for 2014 is Western Mountaineering TerraLite . A sleeping bag that can be turn into a quilt and is rated at 25 degree . Wider than the normal mummy bag . Sells for around 459.00 . The reason why they refer you to a mummy is they either have not tried it or don't use the layering method that the military uses . I have not seen many article on people sleeping using quilts . Its sort of like hammock vs tent argument or why you don't go to store like rei for hammock gear . I use a zipper sleeping bag (preferably a center zipper ) 25 degree , for my inner bag and a quilt for my outer layer , 5 degree . Then a bivy if needed . That being said , i switching to hammock for most of my camping . Still learning on what i need to do to switch to hammock winter camping .
    Last edited by Ghilliechef; 02-01-2014 at 12:07.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast