WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Army Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Whoopie & HF Strap

Tree Huggers

I'm skipping the intro and straight to the question.

After doing my research on a couple of canoe forums with hanging groups and reading the Ultimate Hang I bought an inexpensive Byer of Maine Hammock for my stepdaughter and Black Bird w/Woopie Slings for myself. We will most likely make WS for her hammock.

I'm retired and trying to piece together a system. Next year I'll work on a tarp and insulation, I've overspent on the BB and a few other toys

This question is about Tree Huggers. Here's the question I posted on another site and after all the responds I got it was OK to buy long straps. I have for the most part given up hiking and have become a paddler who likes having a boat to carry the gear.

With the two Hammocks on the way I'm staring to think about suspension. I've read posts about carrying a long and a short set of tree straps or choosing one over the other depending on what size trees one 'thinks' they will encounter.

What's wrong with just buying a long set?

Since I have two sets to buy, what if I buy a long and a shorter set and split up the sets with a long and a short for each hammock that would cover more hanging options?

Lastly, how do ratchet straps striped down work? I hate to give people money for something I already have and hate to use for their intended purpose.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The only thing wrong with long straps is the weight. It freaks some folks out. Also there has been another push back to 2 inch tree straps. You only need 1 inch for the hammock to tree distance plus 2 inch hardware is HEAVY. For western MA and the Dacks I'd be tempted to try 3 ft 2 inch huggers with 6 ft of 1 inch linked to them and buckles at the hammock. Use the tails as drip loops. If you do get the occasional bigger tree hang closer or carry a spare piece of 1 inch for each end.

A standard 12 ft ratchet strap yields roughly a 6 ft with a loop and 6 ft spare you can tie a loop into. The two inch is seat belt webbing. A lot of ways to get that. 4 foot or so will get you roughly a 3 ft strap. I carry a couple of biners to tie in gear, weight throw lines for hanging food, and they also serve to anchor the tree huggers. The old oval solid gates seem better than the new lighter wire gates.

Do not use the buckles that come with the ratchet or cargo straps. Gary at Ready Strap is in your general area. He is a hanger and has some cool stuf plus a lot of information. Check out his page and check the buckles:

http://www.readystrap.com/

check his deals too. Sometimes he has some really good one's.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Welcome to HF.

Your WB Black Bird will come with a complete suspension of whichever style you ordered so you don't have to buy anything for it. A biner or Dutch clip might speed up attachment to the trees, but is not required.

The webbing from ratchet straps can be used if the minimum breaking strength is ~1000 lbs or higher and made of polyester. Nylon straps stretch too much.

Strap length can be however long you want to carry that will at least reach around the trees you will be hanging from.

• + New Posts