Yukon Outfitters
    Tarp
    used blue tarp
    Insulation
    Cheap Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1"Web Bckle Amstel

Best first timer pad?

First time hanger here, anybody know where to start when it comes to pads, never have used one even when tent camping.
    "There is no Wi-Fi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection"
    "Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    "I have never found time spent amongst nature to be a waste of time"
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Adventure may hurt, but monotony will kill you"
    "I yearn for a place untouched by man" <-- Best describes me

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I have a Thermarest Ridgerest Deluxe and a Klymit Static-V. Both work well. Good on your wallet too.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Start with a blue closed cell foam from Walmart. Most hangers don't enjoy the experience very much and go to under quilts quickly. Took me all of two hangs. Then you may be one of the few that manage pads. I just wiggle too much.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    I went and bought the thermarest CCF pad. It works but, takes away from the comfort of the hammock. It also looks like I'm fighting a bear while I'm trying to get arranged but, it works. The nicer wider thermarest pad was $35 at REI. A jarbidge (just google kick *** quilts) under quilt is $100. So instead of spending $100 I spent $135 to end up at the same place. You can get pad holders but, that raises the price of the pad system to the point the UQ is a way better idea. I too was bent on going the cheap route only to find that it cost me more. The pad got cut down and now holds the shape of my ultralight backpack and acts as a sit / foot pad, so it was not a total loss. It also gives me the option of going to the ground should the need arise.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhott View Post
    I have a Thermarest Ridgerest Deluxe and a Klymit Static-V. Both work well. Good on your wallet too.
    +1 on the Klymit. Go for the insulated Static V, though. Very comfortable in a hammock and add's R4.1 insulation to your buttocks. Under-inflate a little and it's like sleeping on a cloud.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    11' single layer Hammeck
    Suspension
    whoopies FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarus8429 View Post
    I went and bought the thermarest CCF pad. It works but, takes away from the comfort of the hammock. It also looks like I'm fighting a bear while I'm trying to get arranged but, it works. The nicer wider thermarest pad was $35 at REI. A jarbidge (just google kick *** quilts) under quilt is $100. So instead of spending $100 I spent $135 to end up at the same place. You can get pad holders but, that raises the price of the pad system to the point the UQ is a way better idea. I too was bent on going the cheap route only to find that it cost me more. The pad got cut down and now holds the shape of my ultralight backpack and acts as a sit / foot pad, so it was not a total loss. It also gives me the option of going to the ground should the need arise.
    see, that's what I'm talking about. As a hammock noob, I don't want to buy stuff I won't like. Another idea if you think pads won't be your thing: hit up the dollar store for a reflitix window shade & use that as a pad. That's basically what the Hennessy super shelter liner thingy is anyways.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used a $10 5/8" ccf pad for a couple of years - never even considered investing in "better" pads 'cause pads were just a temporary solution till I could afford an UQ.

One thing I wish I had invested in was a double-layer hammock when I was a pad user. They really do help manage the pad and keep it from slipping. You can make yourself a DL tablecloth hammock pretty easy for about $24 and that will make pads much more bearable.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I used a $10 5/8" ccf pad for a couple of years - never even considered investing in "better" pads 'cause pads were just a temporary solution till I could afford an UQ.

One thing I wish I had invested in was a double-layer hammock when I was a pad user. They really do help manage the pad and keep it from slipping. You can make yourself a DL tablecloth hammock pretty easy for about $24 and that will make pads much more bearable.
    I would echo everything SilvrSurfr said because I did exactly the same thing and have the same thoughts. The only thing I would add is depending on how long you plan on using a pad it would probably be worth the extra time/money to make your Segmented Pad Extender. Double layer hammock!

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    First, probably just throw a cheap 1/3"-1/2" thick closed cell foam (CCF) pad in your single or double layer hammock. You may have to wiggle around with it, but it can and does work for many people.

If you want to try a pad for cheap, wait for the green "venture outdoors" pads to come back in stock at wally world and get it shipped to store for free. The 20x72" is $5.15+tax, the 25x78" is $8.25+tax.

I think both are really good values, and there's also an existing HF thread on them.

If you have a thread injector (aka sewing machine), you could pick up a couple yards of $1-2/yd breathable synthetic material and put together a DIY SPE (segmented pad extender, JustJeff's site has a great guide), buy 2 of the 20x72" pads, and cut the second one up for the SPE wings.

This whole thing would probably only set you back $20, and you can always pass it along to someone else to get them into hammocking. Like others say, you may end up wanting an underquilt, but it can be quite an investment in money, or time & a little less money for the DIY route. I say just get out there with a pad and see what needs improvement.

HYOH!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The nice thing about things like the blue CCF pads is that you are not wasting your money. They recycle into sit pads, stand on pads, pack support pads, or a host of other places where you want a waterproof bit of insulation or stiffness.

Given a choice take the finer grained pad over the coarse grained stiffer pad. Works a lot better.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast