Hammock
    DIY HH, DIY BB, DIY Stretchy side
    Tarp
    Any, keep you dry
    Insulation
    DIY IX + down UQs.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Are there any PDF's of this or something similar? I am very keen.

Ghillieshot.

Made my stand this week, used 8' base and Arms, it's big. One thing I had done different was on the outrigger base, I made a spacer block to fit between the 2 base boards and then placed a 2x4 on top that I narrowed to slide between the boards for easy removal of the outriggers. I installed t-nuts on the underside of outriggers also.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429974693.755305.jpg
    Here It is completeImageUploadedByTapatalk1429974714.841902.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11ft
    Suspension
    dutch buckles
    Made this stand today. I was reading that for an 11 ft hammock you should use a 7 foot base and support arms, so that is what I did. I followed the Dream hammock PDF guide (www.dream-hammock.com/photos/Misc/Stand/PHSplans.pdf) as this was one of my first DIY construction projects without the help of a family member. If I were to do it again, I would definitely attach the bottom supports first as this was pretty difficult to do at the end once I had secured both of the arms.

Overall it turned out pretty well and I am happy with it, I definitely didn't make the support arms at the same angle as the other but it fits my 11 ft Dutch Argon just fine.20150512_183506.jpg

I like the above post on the easier way to attach the outriggers, drilling through them seems like it will be hard to remove them in the future.

Realized after I put this together that my yard is pretty sloped, might have to build a turtle dog stand soon to see if that helps with this issue

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Suspension
    Hennessy
    My yard is sloped as well. These seem to need fairly level ground or you tip without guy lines.
    SM Troop 42
    SR847

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    For sloped yards, block one side of the oitriggers till the uprights are straight over center.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11ft
    Suspension
    dutch buckles
    That is my plan, I was going to use some bricks or pavers under the one side to make it level. Regardless, this is much better than my previous solution which was to use some trees almost 25' apart in the yard. I will probably drill holes in the support arms so that I can secure the braces to the uprights with a bolt instead of wood screws, allowing it to be folded down more easily.

Looking to make a more portable version of these stands. Do you think it would be possible to use 3x2's to reduce the over all weight? Would it hold up? I'm not a big guy my self (165lb) but my hammock has a 400lb limit. Thoughts?

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rekitteo View Post
    Looking to make a more portable version of these stands. Do you think it would be possible to use 3x2's to reduce the over all weight? Would it hold up? I'm not a big guy my self (165lb) but my hammock has a 400lb limit. Thoughts?
    Possibly venture with (2) 1x4s for the base, but that is not advised by my setup/experience.

I personally would not go any less than 2x4 wall studs for the arms. There are just too many various forces applied dependent on exact geometry, hammock hang angle and body weight/distribution for my taste.

Any engineers want to chime in?
    H4x

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Wilderness Technology double
    Tarp
    DIY hex silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I spent a good part of the weekend making one of these. Thank you all very much for your efforts and reports. It was all very helpful. Sadly, I notched the uprights too deeply, and I have the opportunity to try again.

My wife suggested an idea that I don't recall having been mentioned here. That is, rather than notching the upright, attach a triangle shaped block to the upright, that will act as a stop for the brace. It seems to me that it would still fit nicely within the stabbing guide. It would add to the thickness of the upright, rather than reducing it. It could be moved a little higher than the notch to maintain the same angle.

It seems like a better option. Am I missing anything?

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heber Hammock View Post
    Am I missing anything?
    Sounds like a great plan. Post pics!
    H4x

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast