Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cold weather situation

Subject matter experts,

I'm looking for some guidance on two specific issues...

1. Lets assume that a manufacture's recommended temperature rating is
    right on par for me as an individual (just trying to eliminate some variables!)
    If a 20° underquilt kept me content at 20°, is it likely that adding a quality pad
    and 20° bag keep that I will be content below 20°?

2. I will be taking a multi day trip without the luxury of having multiple sets of clothing or boots. The
    weather will include high elevation, low night temperatures and snow. How would you recommend
    dealing with wet/damp boots and clothing? There are multiple schools of thought such as keeping
    your boots in the bottom of your bag, laying your clothes under your pad, etc...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Not having extra clothes is a very bad idea. Why cant you carry anything extra? At least a separate set of sleeping clothes is pretty important.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I'd be thinking two sets of light or medium weight long underwear and one set of medium or heavy to sleep in. Alternate days on the long underwear and wash if possible and you will be above freezing to dry. Liner boots with a spare pair of liners to switch out daily. 3 pair heavy wool socks and 3 pair wicking liners to go with the underwear.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I agree going without extra clothes to get dry is not a good idea. That and plenty of calories should be a given in cold weather. I would make room for the extras
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Images
    Ditto. On multi-day cold weather outings extra clothing is non-negotiable and needs to be the appropriate clothing. It's just part of the correct equipment, yet some try differently http://www.tennessean.com/viewart/20...S21/301040039/

Wow you guys were quick to respond!

Your response was appreciated so please dont take this the wrong way but
    none of you actuall answered my questions.

That being said, I'm in the military! Sometimes you just don't get to have everything
    you want or need.

Let's say I have two sets of everything but they all get wet and I don't have the luxury
    of hanging them up all day to dry.

Does anyone have any solutions to my questions?

Images
    Trust ECWCS GEN III and any advice from an old and crusty NCO.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    As long as you have enough food, and are able to be active, you can do it pretty easily

Wicking layer, breathable insulation layers, wind outer layer, rain over cover.
    Sleep sox and 1 extra pair for warmth, as well as your worn ones. Synthetics stink after the first day, wool and wool blends OK for a week.

I don't admit it to many but I can do 4 night 5 days at 0*f only changing sox every other day. Same clothing layers worn all the time but rotated for temp comfort and to avoid overheat.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thos nelson jr View Post
    Wow you guys were quick to respond!

Your response was appreciated so please dont take this the wrong way but
    none of you actuall answered my questions.

That being said, I'm in the military! Sometimes you just don't get to have everything
    you want or need.

Let's say I have two sets of everything but they all get wet and I don't have the luxury
    of hanging them up all day to dry.

Does anyone have any solutions to my questions?
    Specifically to your question, a pad should extend the performance of an UQ, but may not keep you content if your not comfortable with the pad itself. The removal of a pad is what makes the UQ a better option for most. No pad to slide around on or fumble with.

Quote Originally Posted by thos nelson jr View Post
    Subject matter experts,

I'm looking for some guidance on two specific issues...

1. Lets assume that a manufacture's recommended temperature rating is
    right on par for me as an individual (just trying to eliminate some variables!)
    If a 20° underquilt kept me content at 20°, is it likely that adding a quality pad
    and 20° bag keep that I will be content below 20°?

2. I will be taking a multi day trip without the luxury of having multiple sets of clothing or boots. The
    weather will include high elevation, low night temperatures and snow. How would you recommend
    dealing with wet/damp boots and clothing? There are multiple schools of thought such as keeping
    your boots in the bottom of your bag, laying your clothes under your pad, etc...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    If you think your clothing and footwear will have a chance of getting wet, you may need to carry one extra item, if nothing else. You may need a vapor barrier between you and your wet clothes.

Footwear will freeze if wet. If no other option is available, completely loosen the laces and open the tops as much as possible to allow your feet to go into the frozen shoes/boots. Also you can put hot water bottles in each to keep them from freezing, just keep changing every few hours to keep them pliable.

Using your scenario, I wouldn't put them in your bag with you. That would just add more moisture when you can't afford it.

Also, if your conditions are what your making it out to be, make sure everyone in your party is giving hourly checkups on everyone else for possible hyperthermia. It just sounds like a miserable(and potentially deadly) day/night without the proper gear/preparations.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Specifically to your question, a pad should extend the performance of an UQ, but may not keep you content if your not comfortable with the pad itself. The removal of a pad is what makes the UQ a better option for most. No pad to slide around on or fumble with.

If you think your clothing and footwear will have a chance of getting wet, you may need to carry one extra item, if nothing else. You may need a vapor barrier between you and your wet clothes.

Footwear will freeze if wet. If no other option is available, completely loosen the laces and open the tops as much as possible to allow your feet to go into the frozen shoes/boots. Also you can put hot water bottles in each to keep them from freezing, just keep changing every few hours to keep them pliable.

Using your scenario, I wouldn't put them in your bag with you. That would just add more moisture when you can't afford it.

Also, if your conditions are what your making it out to be, make sure everyone in your party is giving hourly checkups on everyone else for possible hyperthermia. It just sounds like a miserable(and potentially deadly) day/night without the proper gear/preparations.
    This is all good advice.
    A pad and UQ will get you lower for sure. So will a vapor barrier.

I just spread my boots out wide. Never have them in the bag with me…that just seems uncomfortable to lay on boots.
    Hot rocks in them works to warm and loosen them.
    Carry forth and best to you.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast