Thread: New convert

Picker-of-Strings

New convert

How yall doin? I'm a recent convert to hammock camping. I've been lugging tents around for a long time and after a rough trip in the GW Natl Forest last spring I decided to revamp my camp set-up. I originally intended to go the bivy/tarp route but I found a cheap hammock at Walmart for $25 and decided to try it out in the backyard. After hanging in it I am convinced that this is the way to go. I've since upgraded the suspension with whoopie slings...the stock suspension was sketchy! It's now stong as hell and weighs much less. I plan to order a Warbonnet Superfly as well. I will be upgrading to a better hammock as soon as i can decide which one I want. I'll be doing a couple overnighters here in VA to try out the system. In April I'll be hitting the GWNF with a bunch of friends, and in May I'll be at DelFest in Cumberland MD for four nights. If all goes well I'll be hanging from now on. I'll be doing a three-week trip on AT in spring 2015 as well..... Hopefully I'll have my system dialed-in by then. Weight is a big concern so if any of you have experience with hiking (particularly on the AT) and using hammocks I'm open to any and all advice you all could offer. I've been researching and try to decide which hammock will be best for me for hiking and keeping my base weight around 12-15lbs.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Awesome! Welcome to the forum. Looks like you are off to a great start. Concerning advise, my experience is you need to stick with what works for you. I have taken a bridge hammock (BMBH) on two trips (one on the AT) and came to the conclusion after my last one that I am going to go back to a gathered end for my next hike. Much lighter system and still very comfortable. (and better than the ground any day!) I get my best sleep in either my WBRR or my BMBH but I am going to sacrifice (just a little) comfort to lighten my load next time. Try to go to a hang or link up with someone from the forum close to you to try different setups. Can't go wrong with the Superfly! So happy trails and happy hanging!

• + New Posts