Quote Originally Posted by shybird View Post
hikelite, you are not the only one hammocking the pct this season... i just received and set up my first hammock (HH ultralite) and even though there seems to be more than ample evidence it's not ideal for the pct, at least in socal, i can't get over how comfortable it is! i'm pretty sold on it, but lingering doubts remain...

i very much would like to hear more about guysmiley's experience with it...

... the going to ground experiences interest me the most, but just more tips in general... i'm sure if i sit and think long enough, i could come up with more specific questions... the longest i've been backpacking is 10 days! so i'm reading up the best i can... so few folks recommend hammocking, i could REALLY use the emotional support of positive feedback about sleeping in the sky! C:
Are you thru hiking this year too? Awesome! When are you planning to start? I'm at 75 days. Yikes!

There have been others that hammocked the PCT. Ronnie from Israel comes to mind. He said he hung nearly every night, even in socal, but he said he had to hike further than he wanted sometimes to do it. That's why I'm planning to be flexible. I'm not using an underquilt. Instead, I'm carrying a NeoAir. It works great in the hammock and on the ground. On the ground, you just don't use the hammock. The tarp can still provide protection from precipitation though.