Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jacks R Better???

What is your guys' opinion's about the Mt. Washington 3 UQ from JRB? Doing a early Sept. Archery elk hunt in Colorado. Appox. Elevation 9000-10000 ft. Would be using it on a SLD Streamliner DL. Estimated low temp at night upper teens to mid 20's. Thank you for the input!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chulabooner View Post
    What is your guys' opinion's about the Mt. Washington 3 UQ from JRB? Doing a early Sept. Archery elk hunt in Colorado. Appox. Elevation 9000-10000 ft. Would be using it on a SLD Streamliner DL. Estimated low temp at night upper teens to mid 20's. Thank you for the input!
    I don't know about that one in particular, but I own all 8 of my under quilts from JRB. Their quality is amazing and I have never had a complaint dealing with them. I have three old rag mountains, two Hudson rivers, two shenandoahs and a greylock 3.

Right on. That's good to hear. Thank you for your input.

Images
    i have been down to -10 with the mt wash 4
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have JRB The Nest and Old Rag. I could not be more pleased with either of them. Good product, fair pricing, excellent customer service, and quick delivery.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've had the same quilt for several months and am still tweaking the suspension. See the thread here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=85513

How long is your Streamliner? I have the 11', and for that length my experience has been a ridgeline is really required to get the JRB suspension system to work properly.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Upper teens is pushing the temps a bit

I've had mine down to 21 degrees, but had to wear a wool shirt to keep my torso warm enough. You should be able to get down into the high teens, but the suspension will have to be set up just right so you don't have drafts, and I'd make sure I had an extra layer or two to wear at night to be on the safe side.

Yes it is the 11 footer and has a ridgeline. Can u explain why it makes the suspension work better?

I will have a base layer of merino. Then I also have a down puffy for my insulation layer and my sleeping bag is a Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15. Plus I have the JRB 11x10 tarp to block a lot if wind.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'm not sure the ridgeline thing is really different than for any other UQ. If you've got thingies or something pulling it up, then that is better than just the JRB susp clipped at the end of the hammock. But same could be said for my HG UQ. I've taken my MW# into the 20s and I do think teens would be pushing it a little hard. That said, I've been at that elevation in CO at that time of year and I think those temps are more along the lines of what could be, as opposed to actual average lows. I think with the other things you mention, you're good.

Just remember, you will be pushing the quilt somewhat, and you want it to get your body heat into the quilt as efficiently as possible. The merino layer only against the down snugged up against your back is all you need - any other "insulation" adversely affects the efficiency of how the UQ gets and uses your heat. Had this argument with an engineer on another thread - doesn't affect how the down insulates, but it affects the overall temperature inside the down of the quilt, and that can be a factor in both your warmth and in terms of condensation. If you don't have down booties, I would use the puffy to enclose the foot area, or to even put it under you sandwiched between the hammock and UQ as additional down under your butt.

The MW is a differential cut quilt, so don't be afraid to snug it tight, and it probably is a good idea to have some sort of pull from the ridgeline as well.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 02-06-2014 at 10:06.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast