Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

help sewing ripstop

Hello all,

I've decided on a pattern and purchased material. I'm pretty new to sewing, so I cut up some taffeta from an old tent I had lying around to make sure I wasn't going to totally screw up anything.

I began trying to put a rolled hem down one side, but the rolled hem foot move seems a bit advanced for the moment. So I cut a small square of ripstop to practice. Whether I'm trying to sew a rolled hem or simply a straight stitch with a not small seam allowance, I cannot seem to get the ripstop from getting sucked into the feed dogs.

I've disengaged the feed dogs, loosened the thread tension from "Auto", started far enough down the line to be able to grab from the back and pull while feeding from the front. I'm really at a loss. I've searched for others talking about this problem and just haven't found it anywhere.

I'm using a 70D 1.9 DWR ripstop for what that's worth. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubjunkie View Post
    Hello all,

I've decided on a pattern and purchased material. I'm pretty new to sewing, so I cut up some taffeta from an old tent I had lying around to make sure I wasn't going to totally screw up anything.

I began trying to put a rolled hem down one side, but the rolled hem foot move seems a bit advanced for the moment. So I cut a small square of ripstop to practice. Whether I'm trying to sew a rolled hem or simply a straight stitch with a not small seam allowance, I cannot seem to get the ripstop from getting sucked into the feed dogs.

I've disengaged the feed dogs, loosened the thread tension from "Auto", started far enough down the line to be able to grab from the back and pull while feeding from the front. I'm really at a loss. I've searched for others talking about this problem and just haven't found it anywhere.

I'm using a 70D 1.9 DWR ripstop for what that's worth. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    what machine are you using? what type of presser foot? I had a problem like this but my machine was stuck in reverse. So as I was trying, or thinking, the feed was suppose to pulling the fabric it was pushing it towards me. I also know some presser feet how more or less and sometimes adjustable pressures. Also have you tried other material and is it just the ripstop? They also have plates for different stick types. Sometimes the needle plate has to big a hole and the material gets pulled into the hole instead of being pushed along.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Not sure what "sucked into the feed dogs" means, but have three ideas to throw out. One is to loosen the tension on the feed dogs themselves. Another is to loosen the tension on the bobbin (the thread spool under the feed dogs). Make sure you are using a brand new needle.

For starters.

Rain Man

P.S. One more idea is to put some sort of paper underneath the fabric while stitching, to support it, then tear it away afterward.

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Welcome!
    What machine? Does it have adjustable foot pressure? Sometimes a roller foot helps.
    Do you have a straight stitch foot and footplate?
    What needle and thread. It all matters and the info will help troubleshoot.
    Have you taken the foot plate off and removed the lint-ball that gets trapped by the feed dogs? Also helps to use a thousand million pins to hold it in place while you sew.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    ...Do you have a straight stitch foot and footplate?
    This was my first thought. Some times if the needle isn't sharp and if you havve zig zag foot and footplate it can push the material down.
    Last edited by Bubba; 02-06-2014 at 09:53.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Not sure if you have already tried this, but you may need to start your stitch an inch from the top edge of whatever you are sewing.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Another is to loosen the tension on the bobbin (the thread spool under the feed dogs).
    This won't make a difference in all likelihood and can add complications to the tension adjustments. The tension on the bobbin is simply not enough to pull the fabric down. The machine doesn't work that way.

Dollars to donuts you have 1) a dull needle or 2) the wrong kind of needle. In either case... replace it before trying anything else. You want to use a "sharp" (preferred) or "universal" point needle. You do _not_ want a "ballpoint" needle.

The use of paper under the fabric is a possible solution _but_ be aware that paper dulls needles very quickly. It's like punching the needle through wood chips all the time.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Please, please DO NOT Play with the tension adjustments until you're absolutely sure that the problem is indeed the tensions. More machines have been put out of commission by someone playing with the tension settings than any other operator 'error'.

And then only do it one tension adjustment at the time, starting with the top thread tension.

More likely the problem, in order of likelihood is:

- dull needle or the wrong needle for the fabric
    - wrong presser foot
    - gunk in the feed dogs
    - trying to start too close to an edge of the fabric.
    - presser foot pressure has been put out of whack either by adjusting it or by someone slamming the presser foot down too often.

Also, add in operator inexperience.

Play with some cotton or heavier material before trying to work with ripstop. Once you've gotten the hang of a rolled hem (it's a misnomer mostly, it's a folded hem) on a sturdier fabric, doing it on ripstop will be easier.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Try shifting the fabric over so that the presser foot covers at least 90% of the fabric and shift the needle adjustment over to meet where you want to hem. This may help. But like others have said, replace your needle and pay attention to which way it goes in when you pull the old one out. I put my needles in backwards from time to time and it ruins my day until I figure out what I did.

I'd suggest checking the owner's manual. I had to google mine because I got the sewing machine from a thrift shop. I would bet it's tension, but don't adjust the bobbin tension unless you absolutely have too and be sure to mark it so you can go back exactly where it was.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast