Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying my first tarp... Help!

Hey guys so like the title says I'm about to buy my first tarp, and I'd really like some advice. I'm starting a NoBo AT hike in late March, so I'm looking for an affordable tarp that should last me 6 months of backpacking. I've been browsing a few sites looking at their products, and I've noticed the price range for tarps varies greatly! There are a lot of different sizes, shapes, weights, and materials to choose from, and I don't know what my best options are. So if you guys we're about to start out on a 6 month adventure which tarp would you bring with you and why?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a good place to start…..SALES….all good tarps.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=87777
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    I guess you will want to look at size and weight plus what kind of functionality. Urethane coated tarps will be cheaper and heavier. Sil-nylon will be lighter and the lightest is of course cuben. Cuben is the most expensive but for the weight of it, you can get a bigger size if you compare it to other sizes. I like my Toxaway from AHE (arrow head equipment). It is a cat cut and a 12 foot ridge. Real good coverage. If you want doors to close off ends of hammock, something like a superfly be Warbonnet outdoors may be your ticket. JRB just posted they have 30% off on some of their tarps. Their 11x 10 is a great tarp . They have a hex tarp camo at a real good price. So bottom line is the size you feel comfortable with, weight you want to carry and price. Some diamond tarps work great but sometimes coverage is a factor with them when trying to avoid certain kinds of weather. Good luck on your search. Hope this helped but that 11x10 JRB tarp is a great price right now!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Shug
    Dang Shug; straight to the point and not long-winded like me!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    For 6 months on the trail and no way to predict the weather, I'd only feel safe with something providing a lot of coverage. Something like the Warbonnet Superfly comes to mind. Your tarp is really the only thing keeping you dry and comfortable, so $130 would be worth it IMO. I have the Mamajamba with doors and it's held up great after 2 years - still showing no signs of wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Shug
    Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    I guess you will want to look at size and weight plus what kind of functionality. Urethane coated tarps will be cheaper and heavier. Sil-nylon will be lighter and the lightest is of course cuben. Cuben is the most expensive but for the weight of it, you can get a bigger size if you compare it to other sizes. I like my Toxaway from AHE (arrow head equipment). It is a cat cut and a 12 foot ridge. Real good coverage. If you want doors to close off ends of hammock, something like a superfly be Warbonnet outdoors may be your ticket. JRB just posted they have 30% off on some of their tarps. Their 11x 10 is a great tarp . They have a hex tarp camo at a real good price. So bottom line is the size you feel comfortable with, weight you want to carry and price. Some diamond tarps work great but sometimes coverage is a factor with them when trying to avoid certain kinds of weather. Good luck on your search. Hope this helped but that 11x10 JRB tarp is a great price right now!
    Thanks I found this very helpful! I'm always looking for sales. I think I'll be much more comfortable with the JRB 11x10. Earlier I was looking at Warbonnet's Cloudburst tarp which has the same dimensions and uses the same materials. However it's not on sale right now. The JBR seems like a good deal and I think it's the exact tarp style I'm looking for.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images

Tarp

Quote Originally Posted by Wyley View Post
    Thanks I found this very helpful! I'm always looking for sales. I think I'll be much more comfortable with the JRB 11x10. Earlier I was looking at Warbonnet's Cloudburst tarp which has the same dimensions and uses the same materials. However it's not on sale right now. The JBR seems like a good deal and I think it's the exact tarp style I'm looking for.
    I believe you have been led in the right direction sir. Good luck on your hike!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Simply Light Designs Winter Haven is an excellent tarp. Jared will customize any way you'd like (cat cuts / pull outs / pole mods / line locks / ridgeline length from 9'-12)'. The build quality is top notch and he turns them around very quickly. I think if you're going to be out there for that long, you will face some weather where you absolutely need to batten down the hatches and you'll appreciate the wind blocking ability of doors you can close off. This tarp, or a Superfly, or Wilderness Logics "Old Man Winter" are all great options. Best of luck on your journey. Some pics...

Simply Light Designs - Winter Haven Tarp
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    I'd definitely recommend something with doors, a la the Superfly or the Winterhaven. I rock a doorless tarp right now, but I always have the option to stay home if the weather is going to be really bad. If you're going to be out there for months at a time, the doors give you a lot more options for set up and offer a bit more privacy.

Also, unless you're dead set on going as light as possible, I'd just stick to a silnylon option. Cuben is nice, but kind of loud in the wind. It's also semi-transparent, which would irk me if I were trying to sleep in or just air out my nether regions in the summer heat/take a wet-nap shower.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I have modified a light weight cat cut tarp to function like a winter tarp by adding two tie downs on each side of the bottom lengths. This allows me to use those to stake it down and pull the ends together to form doors on each end. The picture doesn't show the tie downs, but they are simple strips of grosgrain sewn along the hem.
    I also added a snap closure on each end to snug it up. There's not much room inside, but it can be hunkered down to handle wind and driving rain which are common problems with mountain hiking.

Winter tarp layout
    Winter tarp

My tarp weighs in at 15oz as opposed to the winter tarp at almost 2#
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast