Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10'
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cont Loop
    Images

HH Supershelter a step backwards?

My current set up is a HH Expedition with a JRB Hudson River UQ. I am very pleased with this set up and love the UQ. That being said though, I seem to have this continual need to try the play with the next toy. This is evident in the fact I think I have changed my suspension around what seems like 20 times.

I am considering getting a HH Supershelter but I have a couple of questions.

- Would this be considered a step backwards? (I know I am comparing apples to oranges here)

- Is there a condensation issue with HHSS? When I first started hanging, I used CCF pads like everyone else. I would often wake up with the lower portion of my body damp, if not quite wet from condensation (from my body I assume).

- Other than price (because I own the UQ already), are there advantages to the HHSS?

To help with the discussion, I normally only do 3 season hangs.

I appreciate any input.

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=81795

Lots of info in that thread.

I have uq's and the hss I don't think I will use the ss for myself again. Will get passed on to my kids.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Images
    For me it would be a major step backwards. I own one now but haven't used it for 3-4 years. I found it only worked for me in summer (rainy season) no lower than 40F. A noisy space blanket was always required to keep my TQ dry. YMMV

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    I have the SS. Since i got a underquilt it has not left the rubermaid box in the attic. 5 plus years.
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornca View Post
    My current set up is a HH Expedition with a JRB Hudson River UQ. I am very pleased with this set up and love the UQ. That being said though, I seem to have this continual need to try the play with the next toy. This is evident in the fact I think I have changed my suspension around what seems like 20 times.
    So, you like to play with gear? (like me?) Then if you have the money, that's all the excuse you need for trying it out.

I am considering getting a HH Supershelter but I have a couple of questions.

- Would this be considered a step backwards? (I know I am comparing apples to oranges here)
    Definitely most UQ users here, some few who have also used a HHSS and the majority who have not, would call it a step backwards, IMO. I own pods, full length UQs and torso UQs. I would not consider it a step backwards but simply an alternative with some pros and cons on each side. But warning: I think that would be a minority view. It may be I am just sort of weird. Still, when I chose my HHSS recently ( almost chosen by flip of a coin) to set my personal best ( though not below zero, rather 6F) I chose my HHSS, augmented by the HH kidney/torso pads(highly recommended) and a fleece jacket worn over VB clothing. I was toasty warm and bone dry. The size long/wide under insulation weighed roughly 24 oz including the wind/water proof UC(like an UQP) and added pads.

- Is there a condensation issue with HHSS? When I first started hanging, I used CCF pads like everyone else. I would often wake up with the lower portion of my body damp, if not quite wet from condensation (from my body I assume).
    Some folks have definitely reported some condensation issues, and especially if they fail to use the recommended space blanket as directed by HH. But don't seem to be seeing as much of that lately with folks trying the HHSS over the last couple of years, seems to me. As for me, except for the one time I also did not bother with the space blanket between 45-50*F, I have never had more than a couple of drops gather on the low point of the SB, and mostly nothing. But that one time I left out the SB, the foot of my HH OCF pad and hammock and foot box of sleeping bag were soaked. I was still warm though, and it all dried very quickly.

- Other than price (because I own the UQ already), are there advantages to the HHSS?
    Built in at the same price and weight, a wind and water blocking undercover, which is the biggest plus of the system. Many people buy extra UQPs to keep their down UQs drier and to help block the wind. This is all part of this system. Also, IMO, since there is really only one way to attach it correctly, and nothing to adjust, and since I just leave it on all year, no fiddle factor. It either works or it does not. If it does not, there is not much to adjust. But, one more advantage that might lead to some fiddle factor: if you want to push it way past it's limit by adding insulation you don't plan to sleep in down under the HH pad. This can easily add a huge boost, and if it is clothing you have with you any way no added weight. The system is actually designed to work in this method. But, this might add some fiddle factor.

If you already have an UQ that you like, then you probably have no real need for a HHSS. But if you want to play and experiment just for fun, then go for it. You may think it is junk compared to your UQ and sell it or keep it for a friend. Or, you may be like me and decide it has it's charms and some times you just feel like using it. Especially if you are in the mood to use that tiny HH diamond tarp. That HHSS UC saved my butt one cold, windy night when that tarp was totally failing to keep the extreme wind off of me. I was the only warm person in camp the next morning.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I own the HHSS for my explorer deluxe, and I own a WL UQ/TQ set.

I absolutely will be using my WL UQ for my camping trip this weekend. I've more faith in that taking me to colder temps.

With that said, my HHSS will see use in the higher temps where my UQ will be too warm. It's lighter weight/less bulky, and pretty flexible in how I want to use it in temps from 40 up.

It's not a step back from my viewpoint...it's an alternate piece of gear that I intend to use for differing conditions.

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

• + New Posts