Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    It would also be good to see some more hard science on the subject of how best to attach to trees for hammock use.

I am an environmental scientist with over 35 years in the field. Tree straps make good sense to me. But, although the use of tree straps seems intuitively safer for attachment to trees, is there hard science to back that up for use in policy decisions by Forest Managers? IMHO, the best forest management policies are based on good science. It could be valuable to assemble and encourage such research if possible.
    The increase in contact area from a rope which even if rather big and soft will be no bigger than 5(?) mm
    o atleast one inch should be spreading the pressure quite effectively ,
    so what's needed are numbers for the pressure a specific area of tree bark can withstand without damage right?
    I think this data should already be available somewhere?

That would still leave out trees with flaky bark i guess as a little sliding will probably do more damage here
    AND apart from damage to the barrier protecting the tree , pressure on the phloem and/or premanent damage to it are maybe more important with certain trees and probably harder data to come by !?
    Last edited by utilisateur; 02-23-2010 at 08:10.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    Poison Ivy protects the tree very nicely from rope damage .....

not that I would know that from experience or anything ....
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    This reminds me of the issue of motorcycle pipes that has been going on for some time... Too many bikers were replacing their stock pipes with loud pipes, which started causing problems and noise ordiances started popping up all over the country. When the Government started hinting maybe they should pass some legislation related to this, motorcycle manufacturers started singing to a different tune and have changed their stance and now promote NOT changing to louder pipes or it will lead to further restrictive legislation... This change has so far had an effect of having the Government back off since the industry proactively did something about it...

So, if camping/hammock manufacturers don't look at these restrictions placed on hammocks, it could very easily lead to additional restrictions to other kinds of shelters. That will hurt their bottom line. The problem with restrictions in place about hammocks... what are they saying about tenters who tie up these huge tarps to trees above their tents using ropes?- Rain or wind can put pressure on the ropes just like the weight of a person...

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567