Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Synthetic TQ on the Cheap?

I found some satin bedsheets at a local thrift store at $2 a piece and am thinking of making some TQs as gifts to mainly be used in the car/house in place of a blanket or throw. My wife gets so much use out of my Poncho Liners that it would seem like a good gift.
    My thought was to use a contrasting satin blanket edge binding and attach footbox snaps. Compressability is no concern but I would like to keep it fairly light. Should be rated to around 55*.
    I took a look at insulation at my local fabric store and couldn't decide on a type or loft. Most were made for quilts and suggested sewn box widths. But, I'd rather not have to actually quilt this except for around the edges to hold the insulation in place.
    Any recommendations or should I just go for some 2.5 Climashield Apex or 3oz Primaloft sport?
    Thanks.
    JLeePHoto

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You might consider Insultex. The nice clerks at your fabric store may not know it by name. It is fuzzy white stuff with a slight sparkle to it. They sell it for use in making pot-holders. It is polyester insulation with a porous mylar layer in there to reflect heat. Just about 1/4" thick.

It is not especially light, and does not compress well, so you don't see it used for backpacking gear. It might just be what you need. It would not need to be quilted, though you might consider adding comforter tufts every 8 inches or so. They aren't really sewing, just a tied string through all layers.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks, I may go with the IX method. Right now I'm thinking about getting some of their Poly batting (not sure which) and just running a stabilizing line of top stitches every foot or so. Tempted to get Climashield but not sure the use justifies the price.
    I find making gifts is a great way to practice my techniques and still get some use out of the finished products.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    You might consider Insultex. The nice clerks at your fabric store may not know it by name. It is fuzzy white stuff with a slight sparkle to it. They sell it for use in making pot-holders. It is polyester insulation with a porous mylar layer in there to reflect heat. Just about 1/4" thick.

It is not especially light, and does not compress well, so you don't see it used for backpacking gear. It might just be what you need. It would not need to be quilted, though you might consider adding comforter tufts every 8 inches or so. They aren't really sewing, just a tied string through all layers.
    That product actually goes under either the name of InsulBright or InsulFleece (depending on which store you buy it at) rather than Insultex. Both products are made be Pellon, and I've yet to be able to tell the difference between them via either sight or feel of the material itself.

Otherwise, DavyRay is perfectly correct.

I would specifically avoid Insultex in a top quilt: it needs to drape in order to have the proper spacing between layers to trap air. A top quilt doesn't do this very well, while an underquilt does (gravity is your friend with an underquilt when doing this while it's your enemy in a top quilt). Also, it's a near-vapor barrier, which doesn't make it very comfy for use 'round the house.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    That product actually goes under either the name of InsulBright or InsulFleece (depending on which store you buy it at) rather than Insultex. Both products are made be Pellon, and I've yet to be able to tell the difference between them via either sight or feel of the material itself.

Otherwise, DavyRay is perfectly correct.

I would specifically avoid Insultex in a top quilt: it needs to drape in order to have the proper spacing between layers to trap air. A top quilt doesn't do this very well, while an underquilt does (gravity is your friend with an underquilt when doing this while it's your enemy in a top quilt). Also, it's a near-vapor barrier, which doesn't make it very comfy for use 'round the house.

Hope it helps!
    Thanks for the corrections. I used a layer of this stuff between the top and bottom of my DIY double layer bridge hammock on car camping trips. It beefed up my comfort considerably. I did not have condensation issues, but was in a very breezy setup.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Does that mean I should also avoid insulbright for the same reasons?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    I think that is what he means, and I think I agree with him. I have the stuff, and after thinking about it, would not use it indoors. One of the most important thing about indoor bedding is that it has to ventilate and handle humid air properly.

I have used it between layers of a double hammock when it was really cold, but that was in a windy place, bridge hammock, minimal tarp.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Makes sense, I've heard the same negatives about isultex as top layer. This is all about experimentation so I think I just look for some decent poly batting with about 1/2" loft and go from there. I'll update on the finished product.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    Naw, the InsulBright and InsulFleece are both very breathable; the needle-punched mylar isn't enough of a vapor barrier to make things a pain. Either would work just fine in a top quilt.

On the other hand, if you're just using it around the house, I'd just go with whatever is cheapest on the rack for insulation. If you don't want to quilt it, ask the clerks at the store about which ones don't need much in the way of quilting. They should have that knowledge off of the tops of their heads.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    If it helps you any, my synthetic UQ is made of a 2 layer mylar infused Insulfleece from Walmart. There is a small gap between the layers to trap heat and it has worked down to 23*F at the Florida hang (for me, I'm a hot sleeper-don't recomend this for others).

I wouldn't recomend this material, or similar type, for a house TQ at all.

What I did for my and my wife's TQ is use Poly-fil. If you don't want to go thru the hassle of making baffles, use Insulfleece batting from Walmart or other store.

If you want to sew thru every 6-8 inches or so, you could, but it's not necessary. Since it's batting and not fill, you should be able to sew the edges only, though. Without sewing thru the batting and shell, you will be able to get down to 50-55*F easily and still have the TQ look (without the baffle look).

If you want the baffle look of a TQ, make it like down jackets are made. To do this, make the TQ with sewn thru baffles ~6" or so. When this is done, add another inner linning and sew only the edges to finish. Add a small channel and drawcord at the footend. Put in snaps and your done.

This will accomplish your look and the lower temps you may be looking for. It can open like a blanket or close like a TQ.

Good luck.

*EDIT* It was less than $40 for both TQ together and I used mine (with 1.5" baffles) at the Florida hang down to 23*F.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast