Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The "what if I have to go to ground?" topic comes up often from people new to hammock camping. Some people's imaginations run wild and they think, "But what if there's a really bad storm?" and other scenarios that would force them to ground.

There is absolutely nothing that would send me to ground, except accidentally leaving my hammock at home. If I were going somewhere without trees, I'd bring a tent. However, I doubt I'd camp anywhere without trees 'cause then I'd have to sleep on the ground.
    Now, if all you're doing is going out for a weekend and can pick your campsite even before you even leave the house, yeah, there's no need to go to ground. Hike 120 miles over variable terrain and there's a chance that one or two of those nights might be spent on the ground.

In the White Mountains and all down the Rockies, its common to be above tree line or have only scrub available.

Down here in Texas, we have huge expanses of prairie that you might be a day and a half crossing without seeing a tree, and plenty of trees for the rest of the hike. There's a 60 plus mile trail in west Texas that has few trees at all. The Davis Mountains have spotty tree availability. The hike in the Wichita Mountains last month required the guys to hang from scrub post oak and mesquite.

Not every place is New Jersey or Minnesota.

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    So what I'm taking away from this thread so far is the only real reason would be tree availability or the lack thereof....not catastrophic gear failure like I was thinking originally....

For OP ....here's another good thread example that shows the Superfly GTG that I saved around the same time as the other photo...(I love photos to explain stuff)...between the original photo and this tarp set up...I figured I could combine the two Ideas with a clove hitch easy enough and with a pad and some tyvec ....which Im going to be carrying already...along with Hiking Poles.....be all set for whatever.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69617

(this is just what I found Im sure there are lots of examples.)

Images
    seventh year of hammocking and i never have gone to the ground.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I've had to go to ground once. Campsites are pre-assigned on some permitted river trips and there is no guarantee that there will be trees since you may be camping on a sand bar. Sometimes it looks like there are plenty of trees but they are not spaced properly or in a way they can be used. The tarp and hiking poles work for shelter and the hammock and net for a bug bivy if necessary. In my case there were no bugs so I just had to set up shelter. I carry an inflatable pad just in case.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adkrella View Post
    So what I'm taking away from this thread so far is the only real reason would be tree availability or the lack thereof....not catastrophic gear failure like I was thinking originally....

For OP ....here's another good thread example that shows the Superfly GTG that I saved around the same time as the other photo...(I love photos to explain stuff)...between the original photo and this tarp set up...I figured I could combine the two Ideas with a clove hitch easy enough and with a pad and some tyvec ....which Im going to be carrying already...along with Hiking Poles.....be all set for whatever.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69617

(this is just what I found Im sure there are lots of examples.)
    There's always a chance someone will leave their tree straps on the trees at last night's campsite, or the trees are too big for your straps but, yes, catastrophic failure of equipment is remote as long as you have good, quality gear.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    There's always a chance someone will leave their tree straps on the trees at last night's campsite, or the trees are too big for your straps but, yes, catastrophic failure of equipment is remote as long as you have good, quality gear.
    Well, I've never left my tree straps, but I have moved away from uber-light 1.1 oz. hammocks like the Weight Weenie Micro for precisely this reason. Sure, they're light, but also fragile. I've already had a couple of them get holes or tears that I simply wouldn't trust on the trail.

Nowadays I tend more toward 1.7 oz. or 1.9 oz fabric for peace of mind.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Only went to ground once and it lasted all of 5 seconds. The stitching in on of my tree straps failed just as I was getting situated in the hammock. The failure sounded like a 22cal shot followed by an immediate SOB. samsara can attest to this if he isn't still laughing his behind off as he was then.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    I have camped in an open field at the Maxville Games with my DD Frontline. Simply used a plastic groundsheet under the hammock to protect the fabric, rigged the hammock and tarp suspension using lawn chairs and used an Exped mat for downy comfort. DD does sell a model that has waterproof bottom layers so the hammock can double as a bivi but I would rather keep my breathable hammock for when I can hang and just use the ground sheet is I am forced to ground.
    Hangin' High and Dry

Thanks for the info everybody. I will make sure to keep something underneath and the lawn chairs was a great idea too. The pics were also helpful! Not that id want to sleep on the ground or anything...

Hammock
    Hennessey Deep Jungle Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Explorer Ultralite
    Insulation
    NeoAir/ENO HotSpot
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/Toggles
    I have practiced setting up my hammock with my trek poles, but I really do not see the need for it unless the bugs are really bad. I think I would just use my space blanket for a ground cloth and tarp rigged between my trek poles.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast