HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch

ENO DN vs grand trunk SBP

So I'm stuck in a quandary folks. I'm about to get a new hammock in the next couple weeks here for my birthday(hopefully lol) and I'm going back and forth between the ENO DN and the GTSBP. I know it's kind of an apples to oranges thing since one has a bugnet and one doesn't but I'm curious if anyone had used both and found they liked the integrated bugnet better vs using a stand alone bugnet along with the ENO, or vice versa. I do have a bugnet sock already that will work with the ENO so I don't really have to worry about buying a bugnet along with the ENO should I go that route. Either hammock I get I will add a SRL(doing a Grizz mod should I get the SBP). I can get each one locally so there's no availability issue with either one.

My quandary is I like the idea of both. I have used both types(integrated bugnet and open top w/ bugsock). I like that the skeeter beeter has the net attached and it's just as simple as zipping in. The bug sock is a bit more finicky( I have a simple DIY slip over drawstring type), but I like being fully enclosed by the net so I can lay out completely uncovered and without bottom insulation if I wish without any worries. I do like that the skeeter beeter can be used as an open top if I don't need the but protection. I definitely prefer an open top when bug protection is not required, which is why I'm looking at the grand trunk as far as a bugnet hammock is concerned(also because it is only 80 bucks). Anyone have any thoughts? I'm picking between these particular two, partially because they are both locally available, but also because I really like the feel of the parachute nylon hammocks vs ripstop nylon hammocks.

Since you already have the bugnet I'd go with the ENO if it's cheaper. If you can get them locally why not try both and return the one you don't like? The decision is almost entirely personal preference.

You can also treat the SBP with permethrin if you're worried about using it with just an exposed bottom.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    The SBP is a longer hammock and the body is nice but the netting is fairly fragile. The first time out my dad ripped his on our first trip. Grand Trunk did replace it and it has lasted the last 2 years but with minimal use. I have a parachute hammock (TL double) that has lasted 3 years with heavy use with just some mild staining. Food for thought.... you could get a Darien Hammock from Papa Smurf in parachute http://www.dream-hammock.com/Fabric.html He has 4 different colors in Parachute plus you get a really nice suspension with it, which usually costs in the neighborhood of $25 - $45 anyway bringing you SBP up to ~$110.... for $15 more you get a much higher quality hammock that you can flip over and use without the net or just throw the net out of the way. Even the ENO after adding suspension will cost a decent amount of $$.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    How often do you go out in buggy weather? If you already have a bugnet then I'd get the ENO. If you are going to carry and use it in the cooler no bug weather then you won't have to carry the extra weight and bulk of the SBP.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    also the freebird would be a good option, $75 with a good suspension and you can get an 11'er.... I have a TL double and really like it so if you are set on one of these 2 I would go with the Doublenest

Senior Member TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by ojdash View Post
    The SBP is a longer hammock and the body is nice but the netting is fairly fragile. The first time out my dad ripped his on our first trip. Grand Trunk did replace it and it has lasted the last 2 years but with minimal use. I have a parachute hammock (TL double) that has lasted 3 years with heavy use with just some mild staining. Food for thought.... you could get a Darien Hammock from Papa Smurf in parachute http://www.dream-hammock.com/Fabric.html He has 4 different colors in Parachute plus you get a really nice suspension with it, which usually costs in the neighborhood of $25 - $45 anyway bringing you SBP up to ~$110.... for $15 more you get a much higher quality hammock that you can flip over and use without the net or just throw the net out of the way. Even the ENO after adding suspension will cost a decent amount of $$.
    Forgot to mention I have webbing suspension already that I can use so there would be no cost of suspension unless I just wanted to try a whoopie sling setup.

• + New Posts