Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Minimizing my hammock set-up.

Greetings all!!

I like a lot of people whom carry their hammocks am looking to minimize my load. Currently the Hammock is one of my more bulkier items packed, top left bag.

i do multi day and multi week off road riding and use the hammock. It's a WBBB, 1.0 double layer with a WB Edge tarp, Enlightened Equipment Revelation X down top quilt and Liegh 3/4 down under quilt.

It packs down to a package roughly 9" X 9" in a compression sack.

Recently I went back to the ground with a bivy sack, top quilt, and an X light inflatable pad. Loved the smaller package, grey and clay colored compression sack however missed the comfort of the hammock. In addition to the X light pad failing regularly with leaks.

So thinking now can I get my hammock packed space reduced and if so by how much?

I'm wondering how much packed space I could save with a single layer hammock? Also how much smaller does a Hennessy UL pack down than a WBBB? Who makes the smallest (I'm only 5'6") asym (want to stay asym) hammock? I could go for a smaller tarp if need be, IE standard Hennessy hammock tarp but get nervous with the down UQ getting wet.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    A DH Darien UL packs down a lot smaller than that and is asym. I heard Papasmurf quit making them but you may be able to pick one up on the FS forum.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Options...options...options...

Do you really need a bug net on all of your trips? If not, take a look at some of the other netless hammocks out there; that net is probably ~40% of the total packed space of what the hammock itself is (not including insulation).

Is it practical to pack your quilts separate from your hammock? If so, you could stuff them loose down into those saddlebags I see on the bike or into whichever bag you wear while riding. They'll conform to the shape of everything above them in the 'bags, allowing for more actual room to put stuff in there (i.e.: there'll be less dead space than there is around the compression sack). This is an old backpacking trick, but it works just fine for riding as well.

Asym hammocks are good if you're going to be working with an integrated bug net, as they pull the netting away from your face. Otherwise, there really isn't that much of a difference in comfort level between an asym and a symmetrical hammock (length of hammock body versus your height has a bigger effect, but you're short enough that the felt difference isn't going to be that much compared to a taller person).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    You will save some room with a light weight single and a separate bug net.
    This rig, minus the tarp and quilts, easily packs down to 5" x 9". I started with a WBBB, but could never get comfortable in it and did not like the asym tie outs. The hammock in the pic is an 11' x 62" DIY made from 1.0 woodland camo ripstop nylon. It's easy to get a diagonal lay in it and I'm only 3" taller than you.
    I found that packing a compression sack on a 250cc bike took up a lot of room and packing my gear in stuff sacks that could be further compressed and shaped as I packed worked out much better. No space wasted by a hard block created by the compression sack.
    The bug net shown is a combination DWR 1.0 top and ends with noseeum from Skeeta.
    Envious of your travels.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    A DH Darien UL packs down a lot smaller than that and is asym. I heard Papasmurf quit making them but you may be able to pick one up on the FS forum.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out. Do you know if it's an Asym cut or not?

After re-reading my post I realize I may have been unclear with my caption. The picture of my compression bag has my whole sleep system contained in it: Hammock, tarp, two quilts, suspension and tree straps.....not just the hammock and tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Options...options...options...

Do you really need a bug net on all of your trips? If not, take a look at some of the other netless hammocks out there; that net is probably ~40% of the total packed space of what the hammock itself is (not including insulation).

Is it practical to pack your quilts separate from your hammock? If so, you could stuff them loose down into those saddlebags I see on the bike or into whichever bag you wear while riding. They'll conform to the shape of everything above them in the 'bags, allowing for more actual room to put stuff in there (i.e.: there'll be less dead space than there is around the compression sack). This is an old backpacking trick, but it works just fine for riding as well.

Asym hammocks are good if you're going to be working with an integrated bug net, as they pull the netting away from your face. Otherwise, there really isn't that much of a difference in comfort level between an asym and a symmetrical hammock (length of hammock body versus your height has a bigger effect, but you're short enough that the felt difference isn't going to be that much compared to a taller person).

Hope it helps!

Thank you for the suggestions. I got dengue fever two years ago and Malaria can still bed had in the rural areas over here (Thailand) so I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to the skeeters. So in my case I prefer an integrated mosquito net. However if a significant amount of packing space can be had with a smaller Asym that requires a separate bug net I'm all ears.

Regarding packing the quilts separate I suppose I could do that however i get nervous as the compression sack is waterproof and I'm a bit nervous of the down being exposed to our monsoon rains. The black saddlebags are theoretically waterproof but I'm not completely convinced yet. I pack the hammock with the quilts attached into a bishop sack. This way it's a quick 2 minute affair setting up the hammock. The compression sack fits snug into the saddlebag with some room where then ends start to concave end. Here I pack some sticky rice to take up the room, so it's not a ton of wasted space. But I'll never know until I try it so I'll give it a go. Thanks.

When I lay in regular hammocks I'm never as comfortable as an Asym, but maybe I just don't have the proper lay in a non Asym. Whats the preferred technique?

Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    You will save some room with a light weight single and a separate bug net.
    This rig, minus the tarp and quilts, easily packs down to 5" x 9". I started with a WBBB, but could never get comfortable in it and did not like the asym tie outs. The hammock in the pic is an 11' x 62" DIY made from 1.0 woodland camo ripstop nylon. It's easy to get a diagonal lay in it and I'm only 3" taller than you.
    I found that packing a compression sack on a 250cc bike took up a lot of room and packing my gear in stuff sacks that could be further compressed and shaped as I packed worked out much better. No space wasted by a hard block created by the compression sack.
    The bug net shown is a combination DWR 1.0 top and ends with noseeum from Skeeta.
    Envious of your travels.
    Your hammock is about a foot shorter than the WBBB not really enough to justify me ditching the WB. Is the packed 5"X9" size in a compression or regular stuff sack? My 3rd post in this thread was to give a packed size of my complete set-up to give a reference for what I'm trying to shrink.

I'll go ahead and try packing the tarp and UQ in regular stuff sacks and see how that works, great suggestion and it keeps things at least manageable.

No need to be envious it's all there for you to come over and explore as well .

Thanks for your post.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by team FTB View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions. I got dengue fever two years ago and Malaria can still bed had in the rural areas over here (Thailand) so I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to the skeeters. So in my case I prefer an integrated mosquito net. However if a significant amount of packing space can be had with a smaller Asym that requires a separate bug net I'm all ears.

Regarding packing the quilts separate I suppose I could do that however i get nervous as the compression sack is waterproof and I'm a bit nervous of the down being exposed to our monsoon rains. The black saddlebags are theoretically waterproof but I'm not completely convinced yet. I pack the hammock with the quilts attached into a bishop sack. This way it's a quick 2 minute affair setting up the hammock. The compression sack fits snug into the saddlebag with some room where then ends start to concave end. Here I pack some sticky rice to take up the room, so it's not a ton of wasted space. But I'll never know until I try it so I'll give it a go. Thanks.

When I lay in regular hammocks I'm never as comfortable as an Asym, but maybe I just don't have the proper lay in a non Asym. Whats the preferred technique?
    Ah. Hadn't looked at your profile; should've. Yep, I'd definitely want a bug net in those conditions. And an integrated one is going to pack smaller than a separate bug net; it needs less netting, overall.

If you want to waterproof against rain and don't want to pack everything into a compression sack, a large heavy-duty plastic garbage bag will take care of that. Over here, they're called either "contractor bags" or "lawn bags" depending on where you buy 'em. Look for 3 mil thickness on the plastic; that's plenty tough. You can stuff everything down into it, then gather and twist the top and either self-knot it with a quick release or use a twist tie to hold it closed. It's waterproof up to and including total immersion. Replace the bag(s) every tenth or twentieth trip, and you won't have to worry about holes (and you can use 'em as trash bags at home when you're done with 'em; you won't just be throwing a piece of gear out).

For any gathered-end hammock, you should be lying asymmetrically to the gathers. This spreads the load under you, making it more comfy. It may just be that the other, symmetrically-built, hammocks you've used have been of inferior quality to the asym ones you've used. Then again, it might be a personal preference thing; sleep is very personal.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

OK I'm back in the states for a couple weeks for gear buying if anyone has suggestions for smaller packing bug net integrated Hammock than my WBBB 1.0 DL. What other decent bug net integrated SL hammocks are out there other than HH Hyperlite? Looking for a used Hyperlite if anyone has one. thanks all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast