Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yukon With Bugnet - Whoopie Ridgeline Modification

I have a couple Yukon Outfitters hammocks with bugnets, camping in Florida it is a must have feature. I am planning on adding a ridgeline to the setup so I can achieve a more consistent hang.

I am thinking of making an adjustable Ridgeline, so that I can adjust on the fly as necessary. I figure the way to go is just a big long Whoopie Sling, attached with Soft Shackles so I can easily remove it if need be.

The hammock is 105 inches long, I read somewhere that the ridge line target is 83% the length of the hammock. That gives me a ridge line of over 87 inches ... 4" soft shackles on each end, 79" is the "target". I am thinking of a whoopie with a minimum of 70" and a maximum of 90". That will give me a big long wide range of adjustable hang. Does this sound reasonable? Being a newb I am taking a shot in the dark on the length here.

Thanks,
    Bryan

I just found the Whoopie Sling Calculator sheet over here
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=29803

You guys do amazing work! I am ready to start ... Honey I will be, uh, in my office for a while.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Looking at photos, it appears the bugnet support line is usually placed higher than the hammock ends where a ridgeline would normally be attached.

Your best approach will be to set the hammock up at your preferred hang angles and measure from point to point where you intend to attach the adjustable ridgeline.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Onewind Top/Underq
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    I tried a UCR ridgeline on my Yukon w/ bugnet, and the netting hung way too low for my personal comfort. It was literally touching my face and I had to sleep with the net unzipped and pushed out of the way to be comfortable. I haven't completely given up on the idea, but I think my mistake was to put the ridgeline through the same loops as the shock cord ridgeline. The key to making it work is probably to run the line under the bug net, but that would require some modification.
    - We're never going to survive this!!
    - Nonsense. You only say that because no one ever has.

The plan is to sew a bit of webbing on to the netting, dead center of the hammock right above where they joined the netting to the hammock, at each gathered end. Place a slit through the webbing for the ridge line to run, this in theory, will have the webbing take any friction and keep the bug net from tearing.

On my first hang I ran into issues with the hang ending up at the wrong angle and at some point in the night I managed to rip a hole in the netting as I ended up all off kilter. I am hoping that the ridgeline will help this issue.

I have made whoopie slings, continuous loops and the ridgeline from amsteel. Pretty impressed on how easy this stuff is to work with, considering how small, light and strong it is.

This should be a fun mod If it works I will do the same with my son's.

After this is done, I am looking at making Tarps. Considering DIY the whole way and coating it myself ... IF I can get the garage space to hang it for a few days while it dries.

Hammock
    Chameleon #8 '17
    Tarp
    Tarp got boo boo
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoops-n-Biners
    I have this hammock and did this exact mod. Except I used a Dutch biner to make the ridge line removable so I could flip it over and go net-less when I could.

I placed 1" piece of Gorilla tape equally on both sides of the net and on both ends where I wanted my ridge line to enter and exit. Sliced the tape in a pattern that wouldn't tear easily (like the capitol letter "H") and passed the line through.

It worked great until I had to share my hammock recently with a fellow camper who was a "little" unprepared for the 18deg night. She literally showed up with nothing and her friends never came until the morning. Now I am not saying her company offended me but my mod did not survive two people in this one person hammock. On another note; this hammock with whoopie slings added was able to hold 2 people and an estimated 380lbs while being very warm with the additional body heat and UQ.

Bryan, I'll try to take a picture for you tonight to get the creative gears going.
    Sup?

Tape, simple and effective. May try that, if it all works out, I can sew in a long term fix.

oh and Flip it and go net less ... brilliant!

Hammock
    Chameleon #8 '17
    Tarp
    Tarp got boo boo
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoops-n-Biners

Dutch fastener

Netless

With net. Flipped in about a minute.

Tape opening

Two person failure.

It's still good
    Sup?

Very cool ... thanks for images. Next camp is 2.5 weeks away! WHOOT!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB mambajamba
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    whoopie/Dutch
    Thanks for the pics and mod. I bought one for my eight year old and he was hopeful we could figure out a ridge line. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast