Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I was out doing solo hikes by the time I turned 16, I am female, I am also very selective in speaking to strangers. I had a dog with me. To this day I do not let people know I am alone, never ever. The boggyman (person) is not always wearing a trench coat and hat, they are sometimes very friendly and charismatic. I make every effort to blend into my surroundings when I solo hike.

Now there are several devices you could use to let friends and family know where you are. I have a little Emergency Locator Beacon I originally bought for my kayak. Now I carry it all the time, my daughter can track exactly where I am. I have a heart condition that can render me unconscious, with my little beacon, I can signal her I am okay, I am having a problem or I need 911. I use the device all the time now. Several people that tour on their bikes have the same device, it lets their families know they are okay.

Have a good first aid kit with you. Be sure you know how to handle emergencies, then go for it.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable web
    The 15 yo girl "Chipmunk" had her parents as support at road crossings not to belittle her hike. That was a very smart way to do it. They did have some communication issues and excess was a problem in places as maps and roads don't always match. There were issues at river crossings that I would have aged a decade had I been with her but she did make it and had an adventure of a life time.

Plan well and as safe as passable.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Polkster13 View Post
    I second what most everyone else has said, especially the legal paperwork. Also, you need to consider that if a medical emergency comes up, unless you have the proper paper work on you, they will not work on you if you are conscious. If you are unconscious, then medical authorities have what is called "implied consent" and can do lifesaving procedures. If you have a broken limb, you may not get any medical attention until they receive a signed permission form from your parents (this happened to me once - they wouldn't even give me an aspirin until my parents arrived at the hospital).
    This is incorrect. Each state has an age of consent for treatment in a hospital. I'm not sure what California's laws are, but my guess would be if you are 16 y.o. or older, you could be treated without your parent's consent. I work in an ER in Oregon and we treat teens all the time.

Do your research and make sure you are covered if an emergency did happen.
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by renegadepilgrim View Post
    This is incorrect. Each state has an age of consent for treatment in a hospital. I'm not sure what California's laws are, but my guess would be if you are 16 y.o. or older, you could be treated without your parent's consent. I work in an ER in Oregon and we treat teens all the time.
    OP is 14 yo (?), planning hike when 15yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    So I'm planning either a nobo jmt or nobo Oregon section of the pct hike in 2015,( when I'll be 15) my question is how young is to young for a solo thru?
    Last edited by VictoriaGuy; 03-21-2014 at 11:49.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    i'm 13 now. so if i'm under 16 i can't get a broken limb or something non life threatening fixed? thats gonna suck! but i read something in this about "a minor living separetely from leagal gaurdian" i wonder if that applies to me? http://www.teenhealthlaw.org/fileadm...entChapter.pdf

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Unless I am misunderstanding the question;

17 years, 364 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, 59.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999 seconds is too young.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    i'm 13 now. so if i'm under 16 i can't get a broken limb or something non life threatening fixed? thats gonna suck! but i read something in this about "a minor living separetely from leagal gaurdian" i wonder if that applies to me? http://www.teenhealthlaw.org/fileadm...entChapter.pdf
    What I am saying is you need to find out what the laws are in California. Some states allow you to consent for treatment at age 14. I'm not going to do the research for ya...use Google.

I used to take groups of teens on service trips out of the US...we just had the parents sign something allowing us to sign for treatment for their kids in the event something did happen. You'll figure it out.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by renegadepilgrim View Post
    What I am saying is you need to find out what the laws are in California.
    yup pretty sure thats this: http://www.teenhealthlaw.org/fileadm...entChapter.pdf

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    No, those are more around the laws regarding mental health and sexual assault. If you want solid info you need to look at governing bodies for the info you seek. In California, a minor is allowed to consent to treat for emergency medical conditions and your parents will be notified in such an event. (Cal. Business and Professions Code § 2397)

For regular, non-emergent medical care, you have to be 15 or older.

You're all set...now get planning!

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Started my blogg! Read all about it in my sig line. Please let me know what you guys think!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast