Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

paypal and shipping

I (hopefully) will be soon getting ready to do a groupbuy and wanted some advise before I set it up. Some of you have been down this road so any knowledge would be appreciated.

I plan on using paypal for the majority of the sales. Do they have any charges that will add to the cost. I think there is something about when the purchaser is using a creditcard there is a $5 charge, but I don't know if that is fact or fiction. I have a PP account but I only use it for purchases. I use a creditcard to feed that account. If I recieve $ will it go towards my creditcard.

The item i will be shipping will be just over an ounce so I was planning on using a padded envelope. It seem to me that I would have to have everyones address before I know what to charge for shipping. That seems like a pain. I could just charge a little extra and donate the surplus to HF.

Any input would be great
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have never seen the $5 charge unless they have changed things within the last few days. There are charges... $0.30 + variable percent of the value. (I think 1-3% depending on value.) Much like a merchant account with a bank. Depending on how many you think you will be shipping the invoice printing wizard for paypal links you right to the USPS or UPS wizards to do the printing and postage purchasing all at once. It automatically figures the shipping rate for the weight to the zipcod of the purchaser. I would suggest a flat rate shipping based on what you would expect the average weight of the order to be. Get four of your suspension clips (I'm guessing here) put them in an envelope and weigh them. Priority mail envelope is like $4.80 (on line price) anywhere in the country for any weight as long as the envelope closes normally.

Remember whatever you add for shipping is subject to the fee structure as the total value. Priority mailing supplies like envelopes are free. First class or other potentially cheaper services cost for the supplies. Something to consider in your decision about how to ship.

Good luck and I usually add a little bit for supplies, gas and time for getting things ready to ship. I don;t think that is unreasonable.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    What are you going to buy Dutch?
    I buy things all the time that I don't need, so I might be in on this one. What ever it is.

-Sir Gravy

If you use a personal account, there are no charges unless someone wants to use a credit card. Then it gets really expensive, like 5% of the total plus a fixed amount.

The business account takes 2.9% of the total amount including shipping plus 30 cents per transaction.

The PayPal shipping will not work with First Class Mail. First Class Mail is the same regardless of where the package is going.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Dutch,
    See if there is any info that may help in this thread of mine.
    Last edited by jeffjenn; 05-28-2009 at 14:21.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You can use a Paypal calculator to figure the fees down to the penny. PP does not charge extra for CC purchases.

If it's a fairly small item you could use the USPS Flat Rate Priority mail envelope or box. Only cost $4.95 and 2-3 day delivery. The box is a little larger than a VHS tape and the envelope is the standard size cardboard envelope. You can get the boxes and/or envelope free at any post office. Paypal also integrates well with USPS shipping. You can pay for and print label directly from your PP account. Let me know if you have any questions.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thank you everybody for your responses.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    For items this light I really thing First Class is, well, first class.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Use first class if it's for those little gizmos that replace biners on the webbing setup! But I wouldn't mind a simple set rate with extra going to you simply for the hassle factor or to Hammock Forums.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

PP does not charge extra for CC purchases.
    They do if you are using a PP Personal Account. Not with the business account, but they charge for ALL transactions even balance transfers. Those are free for a personal account.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast