Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

AirCore NANO Dyneema Guyline Cord Kit

I just got some in the mail and I am liking them.
    I also have the niteize figure-nines and I think these nanos will be better.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i've bought & put to use two of the other guy line kits w/ the same line adjusters.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ord_50_ft.html
    i like that set. works great. my only complaint is that in really high winds the line adjusters can be forced to slip. but it's been rare when that happened. so it's not much of a complaint.
    it's a strong, light weight guy line set.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    TeeDee, were you the guy who originally found those and posted them on HQ? If so, huge thanks. I love those things!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    You could put a bite in the guyline. That would allow you to make it shorter than half.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    No - I think Turk was the first to find them and mention them. I bought the large variety then and reported my use there. Have since purchased the small variety also. Use the small for guylines and the large for the ridgeline on my tarp.

Now if there was a Figure 9 rated the same as the CAMP Nano wire carabiner and the same weight (we can always dream ), I'd drop the ring buckle quick and switch to that - they are a way cool device.
    Interesting...I use the small size on my tarp ridge and just tautline hitches on my side tie-outs. A high-rated Figure 9 would be pretty cool...I don't know if I'd go away from straps, though. I don't like having to use separate tree huggers.

Have you tried the CC buckles? They're heavier than rings, but I really like them. I rank their speed and ease of use right up there with the Figure 9's. I haven't done much testing with the rings though, so I can't really compare.
    Last edited by blackbishop351; 03-29-2007 at 19:31.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    when i use the micro-tentioners on my tarp guy lines, i form a clove hitch & insert the stake where i want it, & put the stake in the ground.
    i just use the micro-tentioners for tightening the tarp as needed, not shortening the line.
    the extra, un-used line is draped over & around the stake to help make it more visible when i'm moving around camp.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    when i use the micro-tentioners on my tarp guy lines, i form a clove hitch & insert the stake where i want it, & put the stake in the ground.
    i just use the micro-tentioners for tightening the tarp as needed, not shortening the line.
    the extra, un-used line is draped over & around the stake to help make it more visible when i'm moving around camp.
    See that is thinking outside of the box. I like that.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    youngblood showed me the way he uses stakes & guy lines using the clove line hitch last year at the SEHHA, hot springs camp out.
    at first i thought it would be more than i care to mess w/ if i'm tired & cold, but after i practiced forming the clove line hitch & then inserting the stake a few times, it became easy.
    matter of fact... it's so easy... a cave man could do it
    you can put the stake any where on the guy line you need to, just like that.
    and when breaking camp, i slide the stake out of the hitch & it cleans the dirt off the stake in one motion.

Images
    A clove hitch can be really easy to tie. Make two loops the second one should go under he first one. Insert your stake. Very easy!

Here, is a bit more complicated version. The two loops are the clove hitch and you can stop there.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    No - I looked at them on the CC web site when JJ posted about them, but wasn't too sure about using them. Couldn't get a real clear picture of them from the web site, then somebody posted about getting them from another site. That site had a much better picture. I pull my HH suspension really tight. I think JJ was using a DIY at the time with a lot of sag. The CC doesn't have a structural ridgeline and is hung with a lot of sag also. The sag would make using the CC buckles easy, especially loosening them. I was concerned that I might pull the HH suspension tight and have to cut the line or webbing to loosen the CC buckle. So I decided to wait for others to report on their use with the HH. Then I thought to use the ring buckle and haven't considered anything else since.

I think you are right on about having the tree huggers and suspension all in one. I hadn't thought of that when I posted about wanting a high rated Figure 9. Still, if they made one a price comparable to the CAMP Wire Nano, I think I'd buy 1 or 2 just to experiment.
    I guess I should've posted something about the tension issue before now. Jeff said he had problems with the buckles binding under high tension. Like you, I always pull my HH really tight, so I was worried about that.

The buckles do bind under a lot of tension, but you can get around it with no hassle at all. When you're adjusting when you first hang, leave the suspension a little loose. Once you've got it where you want it, THEN crank down on the straps. After you've hung overnight, things will loosen up enough that the buckles don't bind anymore. Simple.

After reading the issues and solutions that have been reported with the ring system, I think I'll stick with my buckles. They're a complete no-brainer. No slippage, no worrying about attachment, no alignment concerns. I'll probably give the rings another try, but only in the interest of science

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast