Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    To get this back on track a bit. I hope to use these next weekend. I should have my MacCat clone done by then. I am making two version a deluxe version and a micro version. I will be able to test them out then. I will make sure I take pics. I will also be testing my home made rolled hammock too, along with the GG pad. This will be one experimental weekend. I am thinking of going to Shenandoah, but I may just make due with Pocahontas (it is much closer). It will most likely be a 3 nighter.
    Last edited by lvleph; 03-31-2007 at 19:02.

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    TEEDEE...

How many tarp tie outs do you have? You use Fig 9's on all of them?

(I have 4 points to tie out... is that worth the weight?)
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ALHikerGal View Post
    TEEDEE...

How many tarp tie outs do you have? You use Fig 9's on all of them?

(I have 4 points to tie out... is that worth the weight?)
    All of them?

Well on my DIY tarp, 10' x 10', I have 5 tie outs on each grounded side (ends, middle and quarter length points) and 2 on the slanted sides - I can pull the slanted sides partially or fully closed to close off around the hammock when needed - and then the 2 ridge line tie outs. I use the Figure 9's on ALL of the grounded tie outs. I put 1/8" shock cording on all grounded tie outs - like it better than the elastic tubing never had the shock cording go bad yet - just a simple loop through the webbing loops, used waxed nylon string to whip the loops - tie off to the shock cording. I carry way more small Figure 9s than is probably necessary, but then their weight is negligible and they are just SOOOOO CONVENIENT and practically indestructable. I need 10 small Figure 9s. I know I'm carrying a few more than that, cannot remember exactly how many.

For the ridge line, I use 50' of 1/8" Spyderline. Way more rating and length than is needed, but then I have 50' of 1200 lb rated cord when needed elsewhere and only 0.2 oz. I use a continuous tarp ridge line, tree to tree. Tarp under the ridge line. Bowline on one end of cord, micro carabiner clipped in the bowline, wrap tree and clip cord, just like the hammock webbing, wrap second tree and haul tight with Figure 9 ( I use the large Figure 9 for the ridge line, maybe not strictly needed, but then I have the added 100 lb rating when needed elsewhere also - thinking of switching to the Hitchcraft mini here for the 250 lb rating which will then be available elsewhere also - not too sure though since the Hitchcraft mini doesn't hold too well with 1/8" line under load), pull the ridge line as tight as I can possibly pull and I can pull quite a bit with the 3:1 advantage of the Figure 9 - another advantage of the 1200 lb rating, not worried about snapping the line. I have 2 Prussik loops on the cord, clip the tarp ridge line tie outs to the Prussiks, slide Prussiks to center and tension tarp, stake and tie.

Simple.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Just wondering...what good does a ridgeline do on TOP of the tarp? It sounds like it might make adjustment easier, but does it serve any other purpose? Doesn't seem like it would provide much structure to the tarp itself, and you certainly can't hang gear from it...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    All of them?

Well on my DIY tarp, 10' x 10', I have 5 tie outs on each grounded side (ends, middle and quarter length points) and 2 on the slanted sides - I can pull the slanted sides partially or fully closed to close off around the hammock when needed - and then the 2 ridge line tie outs. I use the Figure 9's on ALL of the grounded tie outs. I put 1/8" shock cording on all grounded tie outs - like it better than the elastic tubing never had the shock cording go bad yet - just a simple loop through the webbing loops, used waxed nylon string to whip the loops - tie off to the shock cording. I carry way more small Figure 9s than is probably necessary, but then their weight is negligible and they are just SOOOOO CONVENIENT and practically indestructable. I need 10 small Figure 9s. I know I'm carrying a few more than that, cannot remember exactly how many.

For the ridge line, I use 50' of 1/8" Spyderline. Way more rating and length than is needed, but then I have 50' of 1200 lb rated cord when needed elsewhere and only 0.2 oz. I use a continuous tarp ridge line, tree to tree. Tarp under the ridge line. Bowline on one end of cord, micro carabiner clipped in the bowline, wrap tree and clip cord, just like the hammock webbing, wrap second tree and haul tight with Figure 9 ( I use the large Figure 9 for the ridge line, maybe not strictly needed, but then I have the added 100 lb rating when needed elsewhere also - thinking of switching to the Hitchcraft mini here for the 250 lb rating which will then be available elsewhere also - not too sure though since the Hitchcraft mini doesn't hold too well with 1/8" line under load), pull the ridge line as tight as I can possibly pull and I can pull quite a bit with the 3:1 advantage of the Figure 9 - another advantage of the 1200 lb rating, not worried about snapping the line. I have 2 Prussik loops on the cord, clip the tarp ridge line tie outs to the Prussiks, slide Prussiks to center and tension tarp, stake and tie.

Simple.
    Hey TeeDee,
    That's a lot to absorb. If you have access to a digital camera, can you post some pics?
    Thanks,
    Michael

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Just wondering...what good does a ridgeline do on TOP of the tarp? It sounds like it might make adjustment easier, but does it serve any other purpose? Doesn't seem like it would provide much structure to the tarp itself, and you certainly can't hang gear from it...
    It may have more other uses under the tarp, but as slowhike has also pointed out on another thread, water tends to run down the ridge line and drip down on whatever is under the tarp - not a lot of fun. Though a simple solution for that is to use drip strings. If you use drip strings, then under the tarp is more practical for other uses. I don't always want to add the drip strings and when I don't, the tarp goes underneath the cord. Either way is okay for me since I don't tend to hang things from the tarp ridge line cord under the tarp anyway, at least when the hammock is hung under the tarp. If the tarp is hung low and close to the hammock, there isn't much room to do so and I have the hammock structural ridge line for that anyway.

I use the ridge line cord from tree to tree as it is less hassle for me to run the line and then clip the tarp to the Prussik loops, if I have the tarp in a stuff sack. Usually, I just have the tarp and ridge line cord in snake skins I made from chiffon (noseeum netting is more expensive - I can get chiffon locally - no shipping), hang just as you would the hammock in snake skins and be done with it. The Prussiks make centering or putting the tarp where ever I want between the trees a trivial exercise. Cannot use the Prussiks with separate cords on each end of the tarp and the separate cords just means more finagling back and forth getting the tarp positioned and tensioned. At least I found that was true for me - I always had a heck of a time eyeballing where I wanted the first end and then had to partially tension the second end and then more on the first end and then the second end. If I was lucky, I only had maybe one iteration of that, if not I could go 3, 4 (rarely) or 5 (more rarely) times getting it just where I wanted it. Also, with separate cords on each end, I have 2 cords to keep track of. With the ridge line from tree to tree, just the one, real long cord. Harder for me to forget or misplace a 50' hank of line.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    Hey TeeDee,
    That's a lot to absorb. If you have access to a digital camera, can you post some pics?
    Thanks,
    Michael
    I'll try, but my digital camera is an el cheapo, $20 key ring wonder. I bought a Leica M4 with a lot of accessories decades back when I had the chance at a buy that was impossible to justify passing up and simply cannot justify the expense of a good or decent digital. Not when the Leica is so much better than any digital on the market. Yeah - I pay more in film, but then film will still be around and usable and viewable when all of those digital pictures have been wiped from hard discs and there are no longer any readers for all of those picture CDs.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I think it's an interesting idea for sure. What do you use for your prusiks? Must be pretty small to grip that 1/8" Spyderline. I'm guessing the prusiks hold pretty well, too? I like a lot of tension on my tarp, so that'd be a concern for me.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I think it's an interesting idea for sure. What do you use for your prusiks? Must be pretty small to grip that 1/8" Spyderline. I'm guessing the prusiks hold pretty well, too? I like a lot of tension on my tarp, so that'd be a concern for me.
    I pull the Prussiks enough that sometimes I worry about the integrity of the tarp. It's a slight struggle sliding the Prussik loops to loosen the tarp, I have pulled so hard. They really grip. I pull a little easier when I hang in the diamond configuration since I am pulling across the center line seam then.The center line seam is the tarp ridge line when hung in the A-frame configuration. I usually use the later, since a 14+ foot tarp ridge line in the diamond configuration is more than I really need. I used a felled seam for the strength.

For the Prussik loops, I use either the BPL guy line cord, the yellow dyneema stuff, or Mountain Laurel Designs Dacron guy line cord. I bought 200 ft for $20.00 from MLD a few months back. Good bargain. Either works real well.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Cool...I may try that sometime. I usually carry about 50' of cord for a backup anyway, so may as well put it to use! Always go with multipurpose

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast