Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

2014 Roan Higher Colder Hang

Well it was higher but sadly not colder. Also lacking any significant snow or wind. But sheets of ice and a roudy group at Overmountain presented their own challenges.
    As always, I'm never happier then with the HF family. Just a blessing to have met/hiked/camped/hung with this group.
    Gear? Seems like everybody was sporting something new just for this trip. Me, I got to enjoy Insulhammock's The Roan for the first time in the wilds-just a sweet bit of kit/really takes away any and all worries about sleeping in serious winter cold. The Neos Overboots (even though they rubbed a raw spot on my mid Achilles tendon were wonderful (a small piece of tape would have stopped the rub); a bit over 9 miles truly hiked in them and a big thumbs up. The Wiggys cagoule subbed for the one returned to Campmore...just wouldn't consider hiking those balds this time of year without.
    SERIOUS help was had by Riven and Hangnout (maybe others?) who carried our backpacks to the Overmountain Shelter while we slackpacked the balds.
    Neutron showed up with this gigantic bowl of Italian Sausage Soup which was over the top. Glad he could join us the second night, and sad FTroop had to
    understandably leave.
    The only downside of the hang was at Overmountain=seriously crowded, close to 30 there via many groups hitting at the same time...it got loud and one louse had a radio. FIMB set him straight.
    Looking forward to 2015 of course! BUT Riven had a idea...a Warmer Higher Hang-on Roan High Knob in July...now that is a warming thought eh?
    Anyway the vids:

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Well it was higher but sadly not colder. Also lacking any significant snow or wind. But sheets of ice and a roudy group at Overmountain presented their own challenges.
    As always, I'm never happier then with the HF family. Just a blessing to have met/hiked/camped/hung with this group.
    Gear? Seems like everybody was sporting something new just for this trip. Me, I got to enjoy Insulhammock's The Roan for the first time in the wilds-just a sweet bit of kit/really takes away any and all worries about sleeping in serious winter cold. The Neos Overboots (even though they rubbed a raw spot on my mid Achilles tendon were wonderful (a small piece of tape would have stopped the rub); a bit over 9 miles truly hiked in them and a big thumbs up. The Wiggys cagoule subbed for the one returned to Campmore...just wouldn't consider hiking those balds this time of year without.
    SERIOUS help was had by Riven and Hangnout (maybe others?) who carried our backpacks to the Overmountain Shelter while we slackpacked the balds.
    Neutron showed up with this gigantic bowl of Italian Sausage Soup which was over the top. Glad he could join us the second night, and sad FTroop had to
    understandably leave.
    The only downside of the hang was at Overmountain=seriously crowded, close to 30 there via many groups hitting at the same time...it got loud and one louse had a radio. FIMB set him straight.
    Looking forward to 2015 of course! BUT Riven had a idea...a Warmer Higher Hang-on Roan High Knob in July...now that is a warming thought eh?
    Anyway the vids:

wow it was 24 degrees Friday night at the mid ten winter hangout with a dusting of snow Friday night lol.great videos medicine man and great trip reportneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Great way to start my day. looks like everyone had a great hang. I always enjoy watching your videos. keep em coming.

Hammock
    WBRR, Numerous DIY
    Tarp
    Winter Palace WBCB
    Insulation
    WB Lynx HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/SMC Ring
    Once again, a great trip report and vid MM. Glad you guys had a good time and good weather. I know the lack of snow was a little of a bummer but the lack of high wind is surely a plus. Overmountain Shelter...I try to avoid shelters for that very reason. Some people will never understand what's it's all about! Crossing high, exposed areas in winter as we all know, is always a test and ify at best. Glad everybody enjoyed it and most of all, arrived safely. Beautiful scenery, great bunch of guys, and a safe passage, thanks for sharing it.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    understandably leave.
    Anyway the vids:
    Awesome video per usual. Watching them made it almost feel like I was there.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    BTW, MANY thanks to those who made the shuttle part possible AND dragging the pack of this unworthy hiker into the camp site. Roche, be sure to thank the Mrs. Roche for the use of that day pack!

Next year we might want to find a quieter spot for night two, like a hip hop concert or football game.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Firebird you nailed it. Really what makes these trips are the people. Wisenber thanks for pointing out the huge effort for all that shuttled I didn't lift a finger the whole trip....a heavy Neos a time or two but not a finger.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Those of us with Android tablets don't have flash for our browsers.

Can you provide a link to the vids on YouTube. The dedicated YouTube app should allow us to watch.

Thanks,
    Pappy

Images
    Are you able to click on MedicineMan's MY VIDS link?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    Those of us with Android tablets don't have flash for our browsers.

Can you provide a link to the vids on YouTube. The dedicated YouTube app should allow us to watch.

Thanks,
    Pappy

Here's his YouTube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/medicin...0?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Are you able to click on MedicineMan's MY VIDS link?
    The signatures don't show up if you are using Tapatalk.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast