Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tarp
    YMG Cirriform
    Insulation
    NeoAir XLite

WTR(ent): HH Explorer Ultralight

I would like to rent(?)/borrow(?) a HH Explorer Ultralight hammock from someone if they're willing. (if you're local [Minneapolis, MN] to me that's a huge plus, otherwise I'll cover shipping both ways)

I was just going to purchase one from REI and then return it if I wasn't pleased (I'm a tiny skeptical as I'm a stomach/side sleeper & 6'4"/200lbs) but now REI has them on backorder until the 16th and I have a BWCA trip leaving on the 18th (through the 22nd) that I was hoping to use it on, so I don't think I'm going to get it in time...

I take *extremely* good care of all my gear (my 5 year old gear still looks brand new) and I promise to take extremely good care of yours. Let me know what you'd like to charge for renting your hammock.

Thanks,
    Josh

Tarp
    YMG Cirriform
    Insulation
    NeoAir XLite
    would also accept Warbonnet BB for rent, if available

** of course, should anything happen I promise to repair/replace at your option **

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm normally a very trusting person with my gear, but asking to borrow somebody's hammock with your first post is a tough one. No reason to believe you are anything but a good person, but........

What kind of assurances can you offer beyond this statement and do you know anybody in the 'community' that can vouch for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Aberrix View Post
    ** of course, should anything happen I promise to repair/replace at your option **
    I don't have the model of Hennessy you are looking for, just trying to help you find someone willing to play.
    Trust nobody!

Tarp
    YMG Cirriform
    Insulation
    NeoAir XLite
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I'm normally a very trusting person with my gear, but asking to borrow somebody's hammock with your first post is a tough one. No reason to believe you are anything but a good person, but........

What kind of assurances can you offer beyond this statement and do you know anybody in the 'community' that can vouch for you?
    Yeah, I realize my first post shouldn't have been this one :/ (I'm a regular on other non-hammock forums, just google "Aberrix")

I don't really know what kinda verification would be acceptable in this situation? I mean, obviously finding someone local works better for this as we can meet in person. I can't really say I know anyone in the hammock 'community'...

I was in Army Reserves, 88th RRC, 847th PSB deployed with the 377th TSC (in Kuwait) from 02/04-01/05. Maybe I ran into one of you guys during that little camping trip?

I mean, I could always meet up for lunch with someone ("verified") on here and talk camping/hammocking so that they could vouch for me or something? *shrugs*

I'm open to other ideas? I'd gladly send a photocopy of my DL to someone 'renting' me their hammock even...

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    If I had that hammock and wasn't using it, I'd probably be up for it. Another option would be to buy it here or on ebay. If it is really gently used, you could turn around and sell it for nearly the same price or at least at less of a loss than any rental would likely cost. If you like it, keep it and welcome to the dark side.

P.S. - You've already prodded Cannibal to admit there is a hammock he doesn't own. Nice work.

Tarp
    YMG Cirriform
    Insulation
    NeoAir XLite
    anyone know the return policy if I were to buy it directly from hennessyhammock.com?

UPDATE: It's 10 days... hmm...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    P.S. - You've already prodded Cannibal to admit there is a hammock he doesn't own. Nice work.
    There are still a few.
    I have a Hennessy Explorer, just not the UL version.

Aberrix, have you ever tried a hammock? If so, was it the HH Explorer? I ask because at 6' the explorer is almost perfect sized for me. You being 6'4" might make it a touch too small; don't know. Also, if you haven't tried a hammock before you would be very wise to spend a couple of nights fiddling with it prior to going out in the woods. Some folks have real issues/problems the first couple of set-ups.

REI's return policy is the ****! I returned a pair of Trail Runners that just weren't working out for me; put about 100 miles of mud on them first. Still in shock they took them back.

EDIT: I just realized you were asking about HH's return policy...sorry bout that.
    Trust nobody!

Tarp
    YMG Cirriform
    Insulation
    NeoAir XLite
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Aberrix, have you ever tried a hammock? If so, was it the HH Explorer? I ask because at 6' the explorer is almost perfect sized for me. You being 6'4" might make it a touch too small; don't know. Also, if you haven't tried a hammock before you would be very wise to spend a couple of nights fiddling with it prior to going out in the woods. Some folks have real issues/problems the first couple of set-ups.
    I've never tried [sleeping in] a hammock, but I've been researching them the past 2 weeks and the concept is awesomely mind blowing to me. But again, I'm kinda a 'finicky' sleeper (stomach/side) so I'm kinda skiddish of investing in one. The HH Explorer says its got a 110" ridgeline and from what I've gathered most people in my height range find that to be comfortable. I haven't really been able to find any other 'off the shelf' brands/models that come in that sorta length for us tall folk... My hope is to get something a week before my trip and to hang it in a park near my house just to get use to the setup of it. and get a 'feel' for it. (obviously wont be sleeping in the park)

I've also done a lot of researching the DIY hammocks but I've never sewn before and it doesn't really seem that cost-efficient in the end. (although I know you can customize it more, etc) Although I am an avid DIY-er that concept seems further down the line for me. (I need to get some nights in a hammock before I know what I like/dont like about it).

I guess I'm open to any brand/models really as long as A) they fit my height/weight and B) have bug netting and preferably a rain fly/tarp... (although I could rig up my poncho or something for a tarp if need be...)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I've never tried [sleeping in] a hammock, but I've been researching them the past 2 weeks and the concept is awesomely mind blowing to me. But again, I'm kinda a 'finicky' sleeper (stomach/side) so I'm kinda skiddish of investing in one. The HH Explorer says its got a 110" ridgeline and from what I've gathered most people in my height range find that to be comfortable. I haven't really been able to find any other 'off the shelf' brands/models that come in that sorta length for us tall folk... My hope is to get something a week before my trip and to hang it in a park near my house just to get use to the setup of it. and get a 'feel' for it. (obviously wont be sleeping in the park)

I've also done a lot of researching the DIY hammocks but I've never sewn before and it doesn't really seem that cost-efficient in the end. (although I know you can customize it more, etc) Although I am an avid DIY-er that concept seems further down the line for me. (I need to get some nights in a hammock before I know what I like/dont like about it).

I guess I'm open to any brand/models really as long as A) they fit my height/weight and B) have bug netting and preferably a rain fly/tarp... (although I could rig up my poncho or something for a tarp if need be...)
    We Don't Sew... We make Gear is an introduction to gear sewing that might be helpful to you. One of those is Hang in under an hour. You can make a hammock for cheaper than you could pay the shipping to rent one if you have a discount fabric store or Wally World fabric around. It ain't rocket science to try one out. Infact you can make a serviceable hammock for the testing without sewing a stitch.I won the Explorer UL but it is my only one. (I know I need to get going on my collection but that takes money.)

Lots of DIY advice here to make the project successful.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    I would like to rent(?)/borrow(?) a HH Explorer Ultralight hammock from someone if they're willing. (if you're local [Minneapolis, MN] to me that's a huge plus, otherwise I'll cover shipping both ways)

I was just going to purchase one from REI and then return it if I wasn't pleased (I'm a tiny skeptical as I'm a stomach/side sleeper & 6'4"/200lbs) but now REI has them on backorder until the 16th and I have a BWCA trip leaving on the 18th (through the 22nd) that I was hoping to use it on, so I don't think I'm going to get it in time...

I take *extremely* good care of all my gear (my 5 year old gear still looks brand new) and I promise to take extremely good care of yours. Let me know what you'd like to charge for renting your hammock.

Thanks,
    Josh
    $190/week (just joking). Dude, if you think you're interested take the plunge, lay in a hammock for a few and you'll wonder why anyone ever lays on the ground again! Sling up a sheet if you need to prove to yourself that suspended fabric is "a breeze" better than dirt.

By the way, thank you for your service- from the whole crowd of us. We tend to joke loudly, but understand commitment deeply. Hat's off to ya'.

Write slow, hang long, watch as the rest of the world wonders in awe...

H4x

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast