WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps

Apostle Island Ice Caves- need guidance

I am considering a quick trip up to the Apostle Islands to take in the spectacle. Seems I am not alone, apparently Bayfield is getting approximately 4000 visitors every weekend compared to the 100 or so in a January when Lake Superior is not frozen solid.

I have never camped on that side of the lake. I'd like to find a place to hang a hammock but it needs to be a drive in campsite - Wife and youngest son will want to tent it.

Any suggestions? Has anyone been up there when it was walkable? Where would be a good place to start?

Thanks for any guidance.
    Last edited by OCDave; 02-11-2014 at 12:14.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I've never camped over there, but there are a number of campgrounds in the area. Not sure if they're all open during the winter. Most are RV-centric, but have some tent sites.

There is one National Lakeshore site on the mainland, not sure of winter availability. Other than on the islands, there's no other "official" camping within the park. You can call 715-779-3397 for park info.

bayfield.org has a lot of info for the area.

I would suggest avoiding the weekend if you can. Our friends went over on Saturday and had to park 2 miles from the Meyers Beach entrance and said that the area was a complete zoo. Others that have gone during the week report that there were a lot of folks around, but it wasn't a big deal. The path is very well worn at this point and kind of slick in spots. Yaktraks or the like would be helpful.

Keep in mind that the caves are about a 3 mile round trip from Meyers Beach. A 3 mile completely exposed to the wind trip. You can walk a lot more than that depending on how much you want to see. Dress warm.

Sun sets at about 5:20 PM this time of year. Don't get caught out there in the dark.

Not very helpful, I know, but that's all I can contribute. We haven't been over there since 2008. Wasn't very crowded then. I like it better that way...
    Last edited by AScott; 02-11-2014 at 13:35. Reason: typos, typos, typos
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Thanks AScott. We are kind of limited to a weekend trip. I hate to be part of the Zoo but, I am not sure when this opportunity will present itself again.

Thanks for the Yaktraks tip. I have a set that I never use and would not have remembered to bring them.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Thanks AScott. We are kind of limited to a weekend trip. I hate to be part of the Zoo but, I am not sure when this opportunity will present itself again.

Thanks for the Yaktraks tip. I have a set that I never use and would not have remembered to bring them.
    I hear ya. I just wanted to throw it out there and let you know what you're getting into.

The caves are accessible almost every year. I think 2006 was the last time they weren't. This year stands out because it was safe to go out early and the opportunity is going to be around longer than usual. That and the formations are pretty spectacular this year from the photos I've been shown.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by AScott View Post
    ...The caves are accessible almost every year. ....
    I thought this was the first time they were accessible from the mainland in 5 years. Perhaps I have gotten all frenzied when I didn't need to. I might be confusing my Ice Bridge stories. We are also cheering for Wolves to find an Ice Bridge to Isle Royale.

Thanks again

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I thought this was the first time they were accessible from the mainland in 5 years. Perhaps I have gotten all frenzied when I didn't need to. I might be confusing my Ice Bridge stories. We are also cheering for Wolves to find an Ice Bridge to Isle Royale.

Thanks again
    Oops, I guess you're right. I was thinking back to our last trip over there (2008) and that's what we had been told. I guess it's been since 2009 that they were accessible. My mistake. Sorry for the misinformation.

It has been earlier and longer this year. It's usually not until about this time of year you can go out and it usually only lasts a couple of weeks.

The wolves won't have any problem getting over to Isle Royale this year. Hopefully a whole bunch of 'em get over there. (I'm not a big wolf fan. They're becoming a sizable problem up here.)

I'm more concerned with the moose population rebounding up here. Miss seeing those guys...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I've stayed at Little Sand Beach campground. It has a dozen or so tent sites. Not sure if it's open in the winter tho. Might be worth a call. Sand Island had sea caves

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    Hammockgear cuban
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    We went the last two weekends in a row. Last weekend was a zoo. The estimate is over 10000 people were there saturday and Sunday. So ya weekdays are much better time to go. Its a little over a mile from the main parking lot to the start of the formations, then another two miles of ice formations and caves. So 6 miles round trip BUT depending on where you can find parking you could add up to another's four miles to that.

• + New Posts