Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Feedback On My First Setup

Hello all! This is my first real post on the forums, after lurking for a while now! Thank you in advance for all the wonderful advice I'm sure y'all can provide!

I'm gearing up to dive into the hammock camping community this Spring/Summer. My buds and I plan to hike either the Smokeys or Georgia section of the AT, giving me a great opportunity to take my hammock out for a spin. Before that, though, I want to make sure I have everything I need, and use it enough that I'm comfortable leaving the backyard!

I have an ENO Doublenest that I suspend with whoopie slings. Everything else though, I'll have to pick up, hopefully inexpensively. Below is what I was thinking of getting (I live in Georgia where the temperatures aren't very cold). Prices are from Amazon

Coleman Green Valley Sleeping bag $30 at Walmart
    Fleece sleeping bag $13.65

I'm thinking of using the bag zipped a third of the way up as a pseudo-topquilt. Since it's not cold in the spring/summer, the fleece bag could be a lightweight way to keep from getting cold and cut down weight, while also insulating should it get colder than I like.

9x12 Tarp $14.28
    Tarp line $24 from whoopieslings.com

I like the idea of a single tarp ridgeline under the tarp, as it's really buggy in Georgia and I could use it for a bugnet as well, and it seems simple. I don't know if DIY would be more effective.

Mosquito net $8.88
    Blue CCF Sleeping pad $12.31

Self explanatory I think. I can't afford an under quilt, so pad it is!

50' Nite Ize Reflective cable $9.59
    Plastic Tent stakes $6.57

This is my biggest question mark. I plan to use the reflective cable for my guy lines, as I really don't want 180' of Zing It. Would this work? I don't mind learning a few knots.

Did I miss anything? My buds own a camping stove, so I don't plan on buying that yet. Obviously I'll need to pack clothing, but I figured that could be omitted! Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I don't see that you're using tree straps, so if you are great, if you're not please be sure to get them- you can get 25' of webbing from dutchwaregear.com for $6, which is a deal. I wouldn't comment on anything's price, as you're probably as good as anyone here for shopping on the internet.

I'd suggest maybe doing at least one overnight with the pad - I've slept in a pad in the past, even last summer; the one thing that I've found is that on a cool night you can still feel it on your shoulders, since the pad often doesn't cover that part of your body. You can double up the pads (wide), or put them in a cross configuration to cover the shoulders.

Good luck, and have fun!

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    I just typed out everything below, and it got a bit long-winded. I think there are some good suggestions in there though, especially for someone who wants to do some hiking.

That reflective cord is made for guy lines, you'll be fine. I use it and have no complaints. Just tie it to your stakes with a marlin spike hitch (easiest knot ever) and you're good to go.

If you have any sort of DIY skills, you could make an underquilt from Climashield Apex for only a few bucks more than the CCF pad. This stuff comes as a sheet of insulation, so you just sandwich it between two pieces of nylon (Wally World bargain bin is next to free) and sew the edges. Maybe run a couple of seams across the middle, if you want to get fancy. This would be a significantly nicer piece of equipment to sleep on than a CCF pad, I highly recommend giving this some serious thought.

Speaking of Wally World, there's a down bag they sell that is something like $35. Ozark Trail brand, if I'm not mistaken. There's a whole thread devoted to this thing, and it would be a much better use of your money than a heavy, bulky flannel bag.

I'd make my own ridgeline, especially if I were cost-conscious. You can get Amsteel for $5.50 for 25' from Dutch and splice it on your own. For the price of that one tarp line, you could get enough Amsteel to make a tarp ridgeline, a structural ridgeline for the hammock, some whoopie slings, soft shackles, etc. All of the splicing is EASY to do, and you might even enjoy the process!

Also, speaking of ridgelines, I think you'll need a structural ridgeline attached to the hammock to make the bug net a reality. Just about everyone keeps the suspension for their tarp and hammock separate. Most of the bug nets you see will hang on top or from the bottom of the hammock ridgeline, not the tarp ridgeline. A hammock ridgeline also gives you the option of things like ridgeline organizers.

If you want your own stove, you can always make a cat food tin alcohol stove. Super simple, takes about $.75 and 10 minutes. Not necessary, but nice to have.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Wow! When you said good suggestions, you weren't kidding! I think all of those DIY options sound awesome! I've been hit or miss on getting the sag right, so a structural ridgeline would probably be a great investment!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
    I

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    And captaincoupal, I do have webbing! I totally forgot to mention that!

I think the trial run of the pad sounds like a good idea. I might as well get one even if I make a DIY underquilt, as I hear they're useful for a whole lot more than just sleeping on! Also I'll definitely be hiking with guys who stick to the ground, so if there's any need to get in the tent, a pad would be nice! Thank you!

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    adreins before you set out on the trail, you must practice, practice, practice before hand...hammocking for the first time usually means a bad trip for you..jmho.. if you need to bail due to failure, you can...

the north ga hang is at raven cliff march 21-23 car camping, you wont be far from your vehicle...
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by adriens95 View Post
    Hello all! This is my first real post on the forums, after lurking for a while now! Thank you in advance for all the wonderful advice I'm sure y'all can provide!

I'm gearing up to dive into the hammock camping community this Spring/Summer. My buds and I plan to hike either the Smokeys or Georgia section of the AT, giving me a great opportunity to take my hammock out for a spin. Before that, though, I want to make sure I have everything I need, and use it enough that I'm comfortable leaving the backyard!

I have an ENO Doublenest that I suspend with whoopie slings. Everything else though, I'll have to pick up, hopefully inexpensively. Below is what I was thinking of getting (I live in Georgia where the temperatures aren't very cold). Prices are from Amazon

Coleman Green Valley Sleeping bag $30 at Walmart
    Fleece sleeping bag $13.65

I'm thinking of using the bag zipped a third of the way up as a pseudo-topquilt. Since it's not cold in the spring/summer, the fleece bag could be a lightweight way to keep from getting cold and cut down weight, while also insulating should it get colder than I like.

9x12 Tarp $14.28
    Tarp line $24 from whoopieslings.com

I like the idea of a single tarp ridgeline under the tarp, as it's really buggy in Georgia and I could use it for a bugnet as well, and it seems simple. I don't know if DIY would be more effective.

Mosquito net $8.88
    Blue CCF Sleeping pad $12.31

Self explanatory I think. I can't afford an under quilt, so pad it is!

50' Nite Ize Reflective cable $9.59
    Plastic Tent stakes $6.57

This is my biggest question mark. I plan to use the reflective cable for my guy lines, as I really don't want 180' of Zing It. Would this work? I don't mind learning a few knots.

Did I miss anything? My buds own a camping stove, so I don't plan on buying that yet. Obviously I'll need to pack clothing, but I figured that could be omitted! Thanks!
    sounds reasonable. Captain Coupal has some good suggestions. Do a test hang either in your backyard, or close to your car in case it's too cold, etc. You don't want your first hang to be miles from safety.

Definitely use tree straps of some kind. If you want to go cheap, go to Harbor Freight and get some 12' lashing straps. Normal price is $4.00.

Your sleeping bag as TQ works. You can also use the sleeping bag as a sleeping bag.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by adriens95 View Post
    Wow! When you said good suggestions, you weren't kidding! I think all of those DIY options sound awesome! I've been hit or miss on getting the sag right, so a structural ridgeline would probably be a great investment!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
    I
    PM Me your address and I will send you an alcohol stove. All you will need is a bottle of heet then.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I will certainly be testing my setup frequently! It'll be hard to resist playing with my new toys!

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    Looks like I was wrong about the down sleeping bag from Walmart, it's $80. Still, it's a pretty good deal for a down bag. And, if I've intrigued you with DIY, you could always sew and stuff a down top quilt for about $70. DIY is a great way to save some money if you have the time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast