Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Just another Jerk who doesn't want to read...

Ok, so I've been reading and searching and reading and searching online and in this forum and I am stuck. I want to us treehugger straps, I just bought some webbing for dirt cheap from campmor ( I live in Jersey and they were getting rid of it). Though as I read more and more, it seems as though it is going to sag, especially since I weight 310. So I need help, what type of webbing should I use? I have a eno doublenest and I'm not going to take off the carribeaners anytime soon, so I want to use some sort of webbing that will help me to not end up on the ground.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Polyester is what I use and it doesn't stretch at all.

Look at this site and you will find what you need. Probably only need 4-6 foot straps for Jersey. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ategory/270327

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    i think you might want to remove those biners and replace them with whoopie slings as the adjustability is greater.

but if you're looking for webbing you can DIY here from Scott's shop
    http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/a...s/show/1901271

or buy them from Paul at AHE
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ts/show/945363

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    You say you want to use them as tree huggers. What will be between the tree hugger and the hammock. Whoopie slings? Are you meaning that you want webbing straps to go from the hammock to the tree? If they are only tree huggers and you will be using whoopies then I doubt you have much of a problem. The amount of stretch you would get should be minimal if you are only wrapping them around a tree and then tying a marlin spike as close to the tree as possible. Now if you want your entire suspension to be straps then I think the stretch is a much more critical issue.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    i took it how you did otter....he wants to connect the tree huggers directly to the biners and not use anything else. i suppose this would be okay if the same two trees were used every time.

While I do want to move to Whoopie Slings sometime in the future, I'm not sure if I want to canabalize my hammock yet. After doing a little more searching I found this on strapworks:

http://www.strapworks.com/ProductDet...uctCode=HSS34P

And this is the kind of knot/tie off I was thinking of doing on the carabiner connected to my hammock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXYOwL0arrg

For me, weight really isn't a problem, when you're 6'2", 310lbs, adding a few more ounces to a pound doesn't really bother, especially since I'm a gym rat.

Tell me what you think, I'm open to anything, I'm a "noob" as they say and I am still learning/researching.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    certainly adding whoopies isn't canabalizing your hammock....it's simply replacing one rope for another. i believe your hammock as a sewn end channel for a simple gathered end, you won't need any tools to replace it unless you make your own whoopies.

for what's it worth...i'd get some whoopes and maybe to be safe use 1/8 instead of 7/64 amsteel for whoopies but if you use tree straps rated for 1500 i'd use 7/64 whoopies.

but do what's comfortable for you,...you're the one that needs to enjoy it

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I dont really do knots. Marlin spike is so simple I gravitated to it right away and made myself some whoopies. Before ordering anything I would try the strapping you have and see if it does stretch or not. What you have may be fine or it may be junk I dont know but I would try it first.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Thanks for all the information and help, the more I read this (and the more I drink, haha) the more willing I am to put whoopie slings on my hammock. And I think that's what I"m going to do, get some amsteel and maybe some polyester webbing and create the suspension system of my dreams.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Just go to Sampsons web site and they have a great set of pdf files on how to make whoopie slings. They are really easy to make. Have fun with it. Trust me you will not regret it.
    Pete.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast