Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear07 View Post
    Thanks , I'm looking forward to soaking up all the info. Right now I'm looking at equipment, any suggestions?
    First off, welcome from another WI hanger! About 45 minutes SE of you, be happy to meet up and help get you started.

What are you looking for? Tablecloths are the simplest DIY hammock, otherwise pick a vendor here based on the features you want. Get your hammock and tarp and get in the trees!! You most likely have pads that can be used for bottom insulation and a sleeping pack for the top. Save up for UQ/TQ through the summer, if you choose to go that route, so you can have them before the colder weather comes.

Welcome from the south.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Hex
    Insulation
    UQ/AHE, TQ/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Welcome from Houston. Watch Shugaty Shug Shug Shug's videos. They will get you started down the right path.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Welcome from nj

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DYI Straps/Woopies
    It'd be neat to get a Southern WI hang going..
    I'm in Beloit..
    No man is an island. Except the Isle of Man.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Welcome in one and all. Always good to see some more 'Sconsinites "hanging" around!

For the Boy Scout people out there, EmberLit offers a discount to certain groups on their flint strikers for making fires with Flint & Steel. http://www.emberlit.com/en/t/Emberlit-Strike-a-Light

Under the heading of "Never too early to get stuff on the calendar" there is a Wild Edibles seminar in SW WI near Prairie du Chien in September this year that allows hanging for those attending. Sam Thayer is *THE* name in Wild Edibles. http://wildharvestfestival.org/speakers/sam-thayer/

Bong Rec used to have some real nice spots for hanging and they have at least some sites open all year long. However, the last two years they've very aggressively cut down Ash trees because of the Emerald Ash Borer. The group sites in the Sunrise area are mostly oaks and still hangable but the individual sites across the whole park have been hit hard by the chainsaws. I ought to update my list of hangable sites at Bong and post them on HF so people can reserve them ahead of time because there are so few left and I'm out there several times a month anyhow.

Pine Woods and Ottawa Lake (both near Dousman, WI) have some great sites for hangin'. Especially the walk-ins. Pike Lake (near Slinger) and Mauthe Lake (near Campbellsport) have hangable sites as well. Black River Falls aka BRSF allows "dispersed" camping, that is we have to backpack in at least one mile from our vehicles and camp at least 100 feet from any road or trail. Almost all of the sites at Pigeon Creek (in BRSF and near Millston) are hangable.

I'm sure there are plenty of other spots in Southern WI that I haven't been to... yet!

Did someone say "Southern WI Hang"???
    Last edited by Dux; 06-08-2014 at 08:21.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Sconsinites, I just learned a new word, never heard that one before

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DYI Straps/Woopies
    I've been eyeballing some of these spots.. I wasn't aware of them until I stumbled on the Potts Corner spot by accident.. Found it neat to have an artesian well next to a campsite.

http://kvr.state.wi.us/subcategory.a...=949&locid=115

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    @ Zilla: Just don't call us southerners "Wisconsonians". That's a term reserved solely for the inhabitants of them thar northern regions of Wisconsin, especially northwestern WI. They must live a tetch too close to Minnesota to uphold such an appellation... ;-D lol.

@ paper: Nice find! Thanks for sharing. Love natural springs and visit some of the local ones several times a year to fill up jugs. (one on the side of the road near Dousman also Paradise Springs and Stute Springs are nearby though a bit of a walk to fill jugs at, Petrifying Springs near Kenosha, etc. There is supposed to be one near Whitewater Rec Area also.) The pic of the spring from following your link and clicking on Potts Corner clearly shows the usual high iron content in Wisconsin... yum! Looks a lot like the water from hand pumps in Pigeon Creek, near Antigo, Rhinelander, etc. How was the sulfur content? That can be a very definite "not yum" when high such as near Menomonee Falls and at Bong Rec. Always wanted to hike 'n hang in the KVR, heard some great trip reports over the years.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DYI Straps/Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    How was the sulfur content?
    I didn't get a chance to taste. I had my motorcycle helmet on.. I was getting the sign at Potts Corners for a motorcycle Grand Tour and saw the well.. I rode up to it but there were people camping there (Saturday between Mother's day/Memorial day)
    I'm well versed on the wells, and enjoy finding them.. I grew up in Juda, WI and we had two of them which were a nice place to stick your head under to cool down on a summer day.. A co-worker told me about a really great tasting one just a mile south of Delta, WI.. I was having lunch at the Delta Diner and I filled up my water bottle and myself.. I think the area would be a great place to hang, too..

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast