Greetings from The Netherlands

Hi,
    It is already more then a year, I think, since I made an account at your forum site.
    And a long time since my last visit. (Youtubers, I regularly followed)

So, I should re-introduce myself again.

For years, I hiked en biked in the Netherlands and Europe with a tent and mostly camped in Campings, occasionally stealthing in woods.

2 years ago I had a plan to take a hiking tour of 1 year through Western Europe. Possibly I was a bit too enthusiastic and ill-prepared for such a long trip. I still have to take my first step.

It seems that I had to prepare much more, especially because I am on a very small budget.
    Very many wrong decisions made and wrong gear bought to be ashamed of. Especially because it takes a long time for me to get all stuff. Not only gear, but all food to buy, dry and package for monthly sending.

Well, my interest in hammocking lies in the possibility for me to bivouac in places where a tent is not very possible to be used. So I bought a small light little tent and tried to invest in a good hammock.
    My aim is to use the hammock as much as possible and use the tent only as backup.

About a year ago I bought a new original Hennessy A-symmetric Expedition. (the old version with under-entrance).
    How happy I was with this trophy. I even dared not to try it before my eventual departure date.

I still have not tried it. Since about a month ago I read or heard somewhere that this hammock is only for persons up to 1,80 m (6 ft ?).
    I am 1,95 m (about 6.5 ft) (and about 100kg)
    How disappointed I was that I was not informed in the shop.
    It is too late to return it.

Is this hammock really too small for me? Still not daring to try.

So, being on a budget, I really have to rely on all your experienced info on this forum to be able to make myself a good hammock, quilts and tarp that can withstand a year of torture during my hike.
    From sea to high mountains.
    Also to withstand all kind of weather.
    From hot summers in Spain to bitter mid-winter hammocking in the Alps and Scandinavia. Possibly encountering some storms.
    I have to start from scratch.

I am very glad that you forum members have the notion in explaining the hows and the whys instead of "this is it".
    Especially also many well-declared youtube instructionals that I like very much to be very helpfull.
    Thank you !!!

In the Netherlands, regretfully there is not much interest in long distance hiking with the hammock.
    Hope that I could ask you occasionally as newbie, about some decisions in what models/fabrics for weather, wear/tear and dimensions for my length and such when I can't find it.

OK, stop the boring story and start planning

Greetings,
    Xokken

Hammock
    Jacks R Better BMBH
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    TriGlide and strap
    100% Orange!!!

Welcome to the forums! I think most of it is about trial and error, but that can get difficult on a limited budget. Just keep trying and hang your own hang.

Thanks Meanderin'Speed

Appreciate your reading between the lines.
    It all gives me some extra challenge.
    I have to try researching the possibilities for a taller guy (m/f ) to sleep comfortable (shoulder and knee/calf issue) on a long trail without having to give in in weight etc.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You have the hammock, so try it! First-hand experience teaches more than reports from others. I'm not expecting you to discover that it magically meets your needs (though it might ), but it will give you a basis of comparison. Next, buy 4 m. of fabric, tie a knot in each end, attach ropes, and hang. That gives you something real to compare with.
    Check back when you've finished these steps, and we'll suggest more.

• + New Posts