Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps

Why do we do this here?

Ok, let me start off by saying "Hi my name is Bob and I am a hammockaholic. I am not trying to blame anyone for this besides myself and I have no intention of going through any type of 12 step program. Yes I acknowledge there is a power higher then myself and there is no place I feel closer to him then in the woods laying in my hammock. I am sure there is an intervention in my future as my wife and kids realize that I am growing tree's in my back yard but not for the best shade on the house.

My question is simple, I belong to a few camping forums out there and none of them pull me in and make me feel like I should check in everyday, so what do you think is so special about this place that attracts and keeps such Koolaid drinking people?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    People who travel the roads less taken are more open, more accepting and less demanding that you conform - so this is of course the nicest backpacking forum around. No fighting, no flame wars, no hypercritical judgments of other people's gear. Probably because we get enough criticism from others already.
    Last edited by lori; 05-31-2009 at 11:21.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Three reasons.
    1. Though I have not met many of the people on this site face to face, I consider them my friends.
    2. You have to check every day because someone is always coming up with something new; dang near daily.
    3. I like the banter on this site. Lots of smart-*** comments without them coming across mean or belligerent; gotta love that.

OK, one more.
    I've got too much free time at work.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    "...unjudging acceptance... incredibly different..." Maximum Ride, James Patterson

It's nice to jump into a forum where most people are sharing solutions rather than demanding answers. My job deals with risk management, so my day is filled with requests for solutions to everyone elses problems.

Every outing has it's own demands and each hanger has their own needs. For me it's about seeing others overcome issues on their own terms (and picking up a trick or two along the way to add to my own sling and bag).
    Last edited by TrailH4x; 06-02-2009 at 06:58. Reason: ran across across a quote that summed it up...

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I don't know how long this forum has been around, but my experience is that most forums are friendliest during the early stages. As they grow the number of people showing no social graces seems to increase.

Besides that hammocks are just too much fun to not check on daily!
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I don't know how long this forum has been around, but my experience is that most forums are friendliest during the early stages. As they grow the number of people showing no social graces seems to increase.

Besides that hammocks are just too much fun to not check on daily!
    I think this forum has been around long enough to turn grumpy but your second comment says it all.

"... hammocks are just too much fun..."

In addition, most of the folks that hang out in hammocks have enjoyed that stress relieving peace and have no need to take out their stress on a keyboard. Add that to the fact that most of the folks on here are genuinely nice, it makes this a pleasant place to check in regularly.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Giving credit where credit is due... the Mods on here are vigilant and have stepped up to make sure this forum stays the fine place it is. We've had a few donneybrooks but they are usually centered on mis-understandings and don't last very long.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Three reasons.
    1. Though I have not met many of the people on this site face to face, I consider them my friends.
    2. You have to check every day because someone is always coming up with something new; dang near daily.
    3. I like the banter on this site. Lots of smart-*** comments without them coming across mean or belligerent; gotta love that.

OK, one more.
    I've got too much free time at work.
    You don't have to meet many of the folk here to realize we are just a big family. It only took one hang with some of you to know that you are all good people. I'm not a big people-person, but everybody here just pulls you in to whatever is going on.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Eno ProNest
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Ridgerest/ Bag
    Suspension
    Custom Straps
    Images
    I think we should form a "Hangers Engineering Society." This forum is full of so many dedicated and creative problem-solving people. I think it's great!

I'm not aware of any forums like this one that is for those explorers who use tents (is that the correct term now?).

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I think you all covered most of what I would say.....except that it is virtually impossible to wake up on the wrong side of the bed when you sleep in a hammock.

I have to agree that the modererators do an excellent job of keeping the forum on track.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast