Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Backpacker UL

Thermarest Z-Lite Sol or Gossamer Gear Wide

Im looking for an inexpensive alternative for bottom insulation. To be clear, the conditions it would be used in no lower than 30-40F. Also I am mostly a side sleeper. I have a HH Backpacker UL. I also have a Thermarest Z Seat I plan to use on my feet. If I go with the Thermarest pad, I would get the regular 72" pad and cut off the bottom few sections and use those to widen the pad at necessary areas such as hips and shoulders. Which pad is more comfortable or could I get away with a short Z-Lite, 51", since I'm a side sleeper? Also, are there issues with condensation with either pad? Thanks.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders

I did this because i wanted something i could use as a seat, insulation, ground pad etc. i have not had a ton of use with it. I tried it without the cords in the hammock but it shifted it easily. I added the cords and tried it as a "underquit" and it worked good. I will try it again with the cords inside again.
    It definitely added insulation. I glued some pieces of tubbing to prevent the foam from tearing.

Hammock
    Hennessy Backpacker UL
    That looks pretty cool. Was it your only bottom insulation because the pic looks like it's beneath an under quilt? Any concerns with drafts? How low did you go?

Hammock
    Looking
    Tarp
    Looking
    Insulation
    Looking
    Suspension
    Looking
    Yes very interested with this!

Ken

Crap I have never tried it that way, I always used it inside of the hammock, I might try that if i don't buy an underquilt

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders

The pictures are before I added the shock cord to my repurposed MH old down bag converted into a peapod along with a bizy that i converted to a outer pod. That green down bag is probably 15years old and barely has any down left. The red and purple is just a weather proof shell. I was using a 32'f bag as a top quilt and camped in weather down to 0 for one night. However i would rate the system at 15-20.
    I think during the spring I will try just the thermorest, MH peapod shell and my 32'f bag and i think it should keep me good to 32'f. The outer shell prevents any drafting and would allow additional cloths stuffed on the sides where the zlite does not cover.
    I would say with just the zlite and a bag i could do 45-50. Again wont know exact number till i try.
    It did add a ton of warmth with just the zlite as a underquilt in my 55-60'f basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsx-rboy750 View Post

The pictures are before I added the shock cord to my repurposed MH old down bag converted into a peapod along with a bizy that i converted to a outer pod. That green down bag is probably 15years old and barely has any down left. The red and purple is just a weather proof shell. I was using a 32'f bag as a top quilt and camped in weather down to 0 for one night. However i would rate the system at 15-20.
    I think during the spring I will try just the thermorest, MH peapod shell and my 32'f bag and i think it should keep me good to 32'f. The outer shell prevents any drafting and would allow additional cloths stuffed on the sides where the zlite does not cover.
    I would say with just the zlite and a bag i could do 45-50. Again wont know exact number till i try.
    It did add a ton of warmth with just the zlite as a underquilt in my 55-60'f basement.
    That looks like a nice setup, How much is the peapod shell?

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    That was a specific bizy for the green MH bag. It is way over 10 years old and I barely used it so I converted it into a peapod.
    Probably 50$ at the time. Check the 90s colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsx-rboy750 View Post
    That was a specific bizy for the green MH bag. It is way over 10 years old and I barely used it so I converted it into a peapod.
    Probably 50$ at the time. Check the 90s colors.
    That looks pretty sick actually : ). I was looking into peapods as an alternative/add on with an underquilt. I forgot the brand but it was like $300-$400. I really am trying to get some nice sewing skills so I can start doing more DIY endeavors.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Considering all my stuff was paid for the only cost was sewing, shock cord and the Zlite which I was going to buy anyways.
    I intend on restuffing the green bag with the down from my current jacket once I get a new one. My parents are analogs and I was raised to fix and make due with what I got. I also want to add a 2 foot zipper on the shell and green bag so it can open all the way and be a true underquilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast