Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Wise Owl
    Insulation
    Working that out.
    Suspension
    Straps

Musings on reducing airflow under hammock

Okay, so random thought, and I already realize it wouldn't work alone, if at all, but it could make for good discussion.

A lot of the need for bottom insulation is the movement of air under the hammock. The bridge freezes first effect. What if you had pieces of fabric hanging from the sides of the hammock, to the ground, that blocked or at least reduced the air flow under the hammock?

Would it reduce the amount of insulation needed? Would it even be worth it, in terms of weight to benefit? Has anyone tried it already and can speak to the results?
    “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” ― Frank Herbert, Dune

Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    Cutting the airflow by lowering my hammock/tarp to almost the ground helps because it cuts the wind.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    that's what the uq protector is for.
    http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Wise Owl
    Insulation
    Working that out.
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    that's what the uq protector is for.
    http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html
    I'm not sure you are seeing it the same as I am. The UQ protector seems like a layer against the UQ, to protect it from wind and rain.

I am talking about fabric hanging down, like drapes, from the sides of the hammock to the ground.
    “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” ― Frank Herbert, Dune

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Where we Hang a lot of moisture comes up from the ground, so dangling stuff would/could act as a wick, not be efficient if there is a breeze, be messy. In my opinion, I hate having so much stuff strung all over. Necessary, but it bothers me, hanging more stuff to keep the air from moving, not of interest to me. I like the Supershelter from Hennessy and the Underquilt Protector from our fine vendor. Nice, clean, tidy and no fluttering, nothing to fiddle with once it is in place.

I know some members love things to adjust and re-adjust in the middle of the night, I am not one of them. If you like trying new things you could test out your idea and give everyone a report, I would like to read it, besure to add lots of images.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Wise Owl
    Insulation
    Working that out.
    Suspension
    Straps
    Yeah, it's mostly just exploring the musings of my mind while I am stuck in the frozen oasis, waiting on materials, and when bored, the mind wanders. I do see where wicking would be a potential problem. I really was more just curious if it's more the air flowing under the hammock, or the open air space under the hammock that robs heat.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Nyte, I think it's worth a try. It wouldn't use as much fabric as an UQ protector. I get by just looking for a protected site. Others use a large tarp that they can stake down to the ground on the windward side. Anything you can do to block the wind helps.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's
    Insulation
    Potomac, Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I really was more just curious if it's more the air flowing under the hammock, or the open air space under the hammock that robs heat.

It is both with moving air being the worst of the two.

Reducing wind and trapping air should help. However, I think that hanging fabric from the bottom will still result in just too much volume of air under the hammock.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

air flow

This is a very interesting idea, and has some merit.

Using a tarp in windy conditions makes for a rough night.

However, having a rain-fly as an over cover, or using a over-cover and a rain-fly, and shutting off the breeze under the hammock would minimize draft underneath, while not presenting a large surface to buffet the hammock around. Might be interesting to play around with to see how it works. Weigh I down with available rocks perhaps?

Of course, insects climbing up would not be good in the summer.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    The uq protector blocks the wind from your quilt and back side.....essentially what the op is proposing. No need to have the fabric touch the ground. If the fabric "wall" method was to be used, it would, as previously mentioned, wick water up from the ground. Additionally, I think it would need to be staked out so that wind didn't blow it around, and defeat its purpose.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast