Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changing the hammock short edges' cut 2 give better comfort/back support when sitting

So far people seem to discuss mostly straight cut and cat cuts for hammocks. When analyzing the cat cut gathered ends hammocks, obviously we need to distinguish the effects of the "short edge cat cuts" versus those of the "long edge cat cuts".

When sleeping:
    Based on the geometry, I would think that the long edges cat cut reduce the walled in effect (floppy sides), while the short edge cat cut reduce the calf ridge pressure.

When sitting with feet hanging down:
    I think that the "short edges cat cut", not the "long edges cat cut", give the improved back support (firm back to lean back on). As far as the decreased leg comfort (bucket seat) I think both play a role: basically the short egde cat cut pulls the edge taut, but the long edge cat cut reduces this by removing some of the offending material.

But what if someone wants to improve overall comfort when sitting, and in particular low back support?

Perhaps one could do a special cut on one-half of the short edges and a straight cut on the other half of the short edges. The side of the hammock with the special cuts would offer more support for the back and head, while the straight cut of the other half would avoid the bucket seat problem.

For example if the special cuts were concave near the center (as in Option B in the attached drawing), instead of convex as the cat cuts are, it could give more low back support and a more natural spine positioning.

Would it make the hammock weaker (by using a concave cut, near the convexity point there might be increased tension)?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    You can simulate any type of end cut you want by gathering the end and then pulling the section/s you would have cut out, the amount you would have cut. Then whip the end, larks head the suspension just inside of the whipping and test hang. Don't like it? Undo the whipping and do it differently until you have explored all the possibilities you're interested in.

You can thoroughly explore your ideas in minutes this way with no waste of fabric.

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Is there a good way to undo whipping? I've always had to cut it...

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
    Yes. Whip the ends using method 2 here and do not cut the ends. Have your whipping cord long enough that you have ~6" ends hanging out when you finish and all you have to do it pull one of the ends out to undo it.

It should look similar to this...

IMG_1920 (Medium).JPG

Notice part of the fabric is pulled out slightly to adjust the lay. I usually do 7-8 wraps for the whipping.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I've been able to whip hammock ends with a dogbone of 2mm dynaglide. Just loop thru the eye pulling tight and repeat until you have the number of wraps you need. I've been hanging nightly this way for a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryRoads View Post
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    I've been able to whip hammock ends with a dogbone of 2mm dynaglide. Just loop thru the eye pulling tight and repeat until you have the number of wraps you need. I've been hanging nightly this way for a couple of months.
    That's a good idea. Like a lot of larks heads, or maybe that's a prusick (not sure about the spelling of that). If you used 7/64 you could just hang from the other end of the dog bone. Whipping and suspension in one.

Thanks gmcttr, I'll try that.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    I see no need to whip the end after gathering it. Use more than a larks head on your continuous loops. I've been hanging for 2 months on a 2/3 prussik on a gathered end tablecloth. Zero slippage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Now...back to your regularly scheduled programming about modding the cut of the hammock's ends.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bonefire Whisper
    Suspension
    Bonfire Deluxe
    Images
    I have been wanting to make a hammock like this for my girlfriend and I to sit in when we go hiking, like a bench. I have been toying with the idea of one long edge (top of bench)
    anywhere from 6-18" shorter than the other with either a straight or cat cut taper across the short ends. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumpyro View Post
    I have been wanting to make a hammock like this for my girlfriend and I to sit in when we go hiking, like a bench. I have been toying with the idea of one long edge (top of bench)
    anywhere from 6-18" shorter than the other with either a straight or cat cut taper across the short ends. Looking forward to see what you come up with.
    This made me curious so I gave it a try.

I took a 60"x126" tablecloth blank and gathered the ends while gradually pulling the edges to effectively form a trapezoid with the short side ~13" shorter than the long side.

This provided a very comfortable reclining bench seat with head support. As expected, it made a terrible hammock. Definitely worth playing with using a lighter fabric if you want a bench for hiking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast