Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 birds with one stone, maybe more birds... like 10 maybe...

Alright! Still reading, and still learning... A lot of new information.
    I have some questions. I am interested in a DIY project, to make myself a hammock. There are so many styles to choose from, and to be honest, it is actually quite intimidating for a newcomer such as myself. I have some questions, that I'm sure I can get answered here. First off, I have had 3 major back surgeries, and suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, so this will all have to be taken into account when I finally decide on what type of hammock to build for myself. Because of the surgeries and RA, I am unable to sleep on my left side, because my leg goes numb, and tend to only sleep on my right side, or my back. I'm not one who like to be confined, but weight therapy might actually help me with pain control, so I can get over it if it helps haha. Now, on to the questions.

1. What style of hammock provides the best lay flat position? I like the whole ideas of a bit of room,and not being cocooned too tight.
    2. What weight of nylon is best suited for a hammock, for up to 350-400 pounds? I am not concerned about the hammock weight. I've heard 70D, but might consider 90D just for the added peace of mind.
    3. What kind of money can actually be saved by making a hammock yourself? I would assume it all boils down to what the prices are when it comes to the nylon. From what I've seen, it's all pretty comparable, even ordering from different countries and paying the shipping. Although, we do have some pretty good fabric shops here, so I may luck out there.

OK, so maybe not 10 birds with one stone. Is 3 enough? :-P

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    You can make a diy hammock for as cheap or as expensive as you want. The price savings depends on how addicted you get to diying .

A bridge hammock will give you the flattest lay but it will feel more confining.

As for material use, I always buy the cheap stuff from my local fabric store so I will let others chime in on that one.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Maybe a new design is in order then ;-)

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Well if you decide on a gathered end approach, here is a few video tutorials I put together for those interested in the DIY approach. I wouldn't plan to save much money on a hammock made from quality materials as compared to a vendor bought hammock. You can save money if you plan to make a lot more than just one hammock and you dont mind buying in bulk. One option people often take is getting a table cloth from www.tableclothsfactory.com/ and whipping the ends. That will most definitely save some money but you may not be happy with the feel of the fabric in the end. Some like it, some dont.

A bridge hammock may be the best choice for you if you are looking for a perfectly flat lay but you may encounter should squeeze unless you have a wide spreader bar with the proper fabric width. You can achieve a relatively flat lay in a gather end hammock also, you just have to get the ridgeline vs hammock length and width set to what makes you most comfortable. A lot of people agree that a longer hammock is more comfortable so you could start in the 10.5'-11' range and go from there. But it will get harder to find tarps that fit as you increase the hammock length.

Anyways, here is a few videos that may help and there is plenty more on my channel to check out. I am a big fan of DIY/MYOG so if you ever run into trouble or questions just shoot me a pm and I am always willing to help.

Thanks XTrekker. From all the info I have read, it seems that people of substantial height like myself, being 6'5, and 11 foot hammock seems to be the bare minimum start. A lot of people have said that they usually need something bigger. I was thinking of maybe starting at 13 feet. I understand that every style is different, and that an 11 bridge is going to be different from the next. I am tempted to order a DD Hammock, and see that as a starting point. I can get a tarp and hammock for about $150 shipped to Canada, so it may be a place to start. I was told that their hammock line holds up to 400 pounds, which is what I would like in the way of weight rating. Either way, it may be the cheaper way to start, and if need be, I can always haul out the seam ripper and carefully modify it to fit :-)

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    There's a spreadsheet that lists Hammocks, Tarps and Quilts. A quick search here should turn it up and it's a Google document so you should be able to view it.
    I'm 6' 1" -ish and have a WBBB & a RidgeRunner. So far the RR is winning. The BB pinches at the shoulders a bit and I don't toss & turn in either near as much as in a bed. I'm thinking that I'll need to move up to an XLC if the bridge RR doesn't satisfy long term.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I hope you understand that you are entering an ADDICTIVE area. You make one piece of gear, then you think "next time, I will do this to make it better/easier/nicer". It just keeps growing. Some new fabric, technique, bigger or smaller.

What I liked in the beginning is NOT what I like now. At first I liked the cacooned feeling of my big Hennessy, now that is too confining. I also discovered that some hammocks are easier to exit from than others. I learned I hate being enclosed in netting (unless the skeeters are dive bombing me.

What I am saying is many of us are on a road to discovery, lots of changes in our taste in gear. DIY folks tend to also be constantly evolving their taste in gear.

You need to know we are considering a 12 Step Program for many of us. LOL

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I hope you understand that you are entering an ADDICTIVE area. You make one piece of gear, then you think "next time, I will do this to make it better/easier/nicer". It just keeps growing. Some new fabric, technique, bigger or smaller.

You need to know we are considering a 12 Step Program for many of us. LOL
    HEY! I resemble that remark....

I made a bridge for boothill that has a 44" spreader bar at the head end and a 36" bar in the foot. Don't remember how long it is, but he's 6'3" and has plenty of room in it. So you can really make a bridge as big as you think you need.

You could always make it a double layer too, if you think that would help.
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    At 350-400 lbs, I would go with a triple layer and use something in the 1.7 + range on fabric

Contact Capt Smily http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/member.php?u=5586

He is a big big guy and might be able to give you some insight on what has worked for him
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by CeeVee View Post
    There's a spreadsheet that lists Hammocks, Tarps and Quilts. A quick search here should turn it up and it's a Google document.
    The spreadsheets I have found on hammocks and tarps won't open for me. I've tried on my PC and my tablet

And yea, as for the addictive aspect, I've already found that out. The wife has given me flak over the idea already! Hahahaha

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast