Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

Big Agnes TQ conversion?

I don't even have it yet, but I was wondering if anyone has converted any of the BA sleep system mummies into TQ? I have posted under general to see if anyone uses it as is, but thought someone has had to have already done this.

If you have or know a link to someones, can I see some pics?

I have always thought the BA system was great for ground dwellers. I just don't know how well it will translate into hammock. If it doesn't work then I have to convert it to a nice and cozy TQ.

Hammock
    BIAS Camp XL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have never done it. But from what I know about some versions of bags from BA is they have bags with no down on the back side this is mainly to save weight and what they recommend you do is add a sleeping pad into the sleeve that is in the back in place of the missing down.

So that being said if it is that version it should be a very nice conversion. Simply cut out the section that has no down it it and hem the sides. The zippers you may also want to take out and seal up that area as well for max insulation properties. The extra down from the head area could be used to fill a portion of the non filled area to add some more warmth by the foot box or over stuff some of your norther areas. That simply a design decision.

Either way sounds like a good project and can't wait to see it!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I figured the same as you I was just hoping others not only did this, but also youtubed it.

Hammock
    BIAS Camp XL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    hey well some times there has to be a pioneer. When you complete it just be the first person out there to put it up!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've looked at and been tempted to cut my BA Horsethief down to make it a TQ but so far haven't had the cajones to take the knife to what is a near perfect piece of kit. I would likely be better off selling it and purchasing one of our vendors quilts but I'm tempted by this conversion. Be sure to post your results. It might inspire me to do the same.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    I've looked at and been tempted to cut my BA Horsethief down to make it a TQ but so far haven't had the cajones to take the knife to what is a near perfect piece of kit. I would likely be better off selling it and purchasing one of our vendors quilts but I'm tempted by this conversion. Be sure to post your results. It might inspire me to do the same.
    i am not sure i will do this, just wanted to see if it had been done. i am not paying retail price. its an older model. if its clean, in good shape and functional as a tq i will leave it.

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE 20 / Phoenix20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Looking at the picture of the horsethief or zirkel bags this looks like a super easy conversion. I would just cutoff the sleeve and leaving about an 1.5 inch where its connected to the bag. Roll hem this 1.5 inch to leave it a nice clean edge. If you wanted to continue to use as a regular bag with a pad you could add some grosgrain clips and straps to grab hold of the pad.

The biggest question I would have -- Is the bag wide enough to function as a quilt??

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cwford View Post
    Looking at the picture of the horsethief or zirkel bags this looks like a super easy conversion. I would just cutoff the sleeve and leaving about an 1.5 inch where its connected to the bag. Roll hem this 1.5 inch to leave it a nice clean edge. If you wanted to continue to use as a regular bag with a pad you could add some grosgrain clips and straps to grab hold of the pad.

The biggest question I would have -- Is the bag wide enough to function as a quilt??
    I will have it tomorrow and get a better feel for it. If the bag is in good shape I will probably leave it as is. I guess I could also use it with the pad inserted and a uq in extreme colds.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I am not thinking I would convert it. I only layed down in it for a few seconds, but I think its versatility is to great. I may now convert my synthetic mummy from either alps or TNF because this BA bag is awesome.

• + New Posts