Hennessy Expedition Classic
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie sling

Switching to down.

Just used my wife's baking scale to get accurate weight of my sleeping bag. Then compared that to a full down quilt set, I will easily save more than 2 pounds. Now how to convince my wife I need to spend the money.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Super fly
    Insulation
    HG incubator o*
    Suspension
    webbing and buckle
    its better to ask for forgiveness then it is to ask for permission lol
    The path you choose in life. Should lead straight to a Hammock!

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    DON'T DO IT!

RUN AWAY FROM THE LIGHT! ("light" was a pun by the way, get it?)

Haha, ok so down is pretty awesome but I will never go back to down. Before you drop $300 on a new down quilt make sure those ounces you plan to save will be worth the properties you give up from synthetics.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    This has been kicked around infinatum. Down vs Syn

There are applications for both, and reasons to own insulation sets made out of both materials.

For most, the car camper, weekend hiker, long distance hiker trail runner, or just about any trip that allows for reasonable bail out, to just go in, go home, or to town to mechanically dry wetted out insulation, down works and performs extremely well and true to it's qualities.

In practically any other situation, where bail out is not an option, return to civilization difficult, an expedition or flight into known or unknown, possible hostile climates and changing environs, Syn gets a big nod.

Down is warmer at a lighter weight and bulk, pretty much a done deal once soaked, until mechanically dried. Cleaned and stored correctly, should perform well for years.

Syn retains some insulation qualities when wet, and can in ideal situations even be dried out by your own body heat, and certainly dries out easier in the field. Buy high quality Syn fills. The cheaper stuff will break down at a faster rate, but still over a period of time/years.

Thats come to be my spin on D vs S anyway.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    "How do I convince my wife I need to spend the money" One method I have used which I believe is safer than the "ask for forgiveness later" (although i have done that as well) is to cut out something else that you normally do everyday that adds up. Simply put, do you have a bad habbit you need to give up. This can be as simple as purchasing a can or bottled coke daily. Since winter time is nearing its end for this year you can save 40 to 50 bucks per month between now and August, BAM! You got about whatever TQ you could want. We are creatures of habbit and most of us cant deny that. I was bad about getting a cup of coffee daily @ $1.59 per day instead of drinking the free coffee at work or making a pot on the weekend at home. That saved me on average $48.00 a month. So consider giving something up. Second option, purchase her something really nice or similiar in price to butter her up but prepare her that you will making a purchase similiar in cost later on in the year. My wife has been waaaayyyyyy more understanding than I ever would have imagined. Good luck!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie sling
    This purchase is going to be all about saving weight and space in my pack. Chriss might have an idea. She spends a fair amount of money following our son around playing football and tailgating for home games and I never say a word about it, wonder if that might be a safe approach.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I have made synthetic TQ/UQ and am happy with the low temps I can go to.

I will switch to down when I'm able. I love my quilts, I just don't like the bulk.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Yukon Mosquito
    Tarp
    2mil dropcloth
    Suspension
    whoopieeeeee
    You would be amazed how affordable things become when you start to look for deals.

I recently grabbed a used Eddie Bauer down sleeping bag that weighs under 2 lbs for $50 including shipping off ebay.

It's no 0 degree bag but I was warm around freezing during a day test this weekend with a ridgerest.

A lot of people on this site have money to burn. As a kid fresh out of college you learn to adapt

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie sling

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GoProGator View Post
    You would be amazed how affordable things become when you start to look for deals.

I recently grabbed a used Eddie Bauer down sleeping bag that weighs under 2 lbs for $50 including shipping off ebay.

It's no 0 degree bag but I was warm around freezing during a day test this weekend with a ridgerest.

A lot of people on this site have money to burn. As a kid fresh out of college you learn to adapt
    I am looking for a deal. As a parent with a kid in college and another in high school I have learned to adapt.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steveks View Post
    This purchase is going to be all about saving weight and space in my pack. Chriss might have an idea. She spends a fair amount of money following our son around playing football and tailgating for home games and I never say a word about it, wonder if that might be a safe approach.
    I don't know your significant other, but I learned a long time ago to not make money discussions (at least, when I'm asking about spending it on something) about, "Well, you do this, so I should be able to do that." It has never worked out well for me when the conversation goes that way.

I've always found it more productive to say, "Here's where I think we can come up with the money for this. What do you think?"

The first has connotations of the other person doing something wrong and sets an adversarial tone from the outset. The latter has a cooperative tone and works to engage the other person in the decision making process.

Just my experience, though. YMMV, as always.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast