Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome from down at the coast! Lots of good advice so far. Trying in the backyard is a great idea. If you don't have the trees or posts, borrow a neighbor's backyard.

Join us in the Uwharries next month or at Falls Lake for the Smoked Butt hang. First hand observation of what works will save you time and money. Save you a cold butt too!

Pappy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Speed Hook
    Images
    I made a trip out to my parents house today and scrounged up some scrap 2x4x8's, ripped them in half and cut to 7' length. Once it stops raining here I'm gonna make myself a set of tripods. I'll have to get a galvanized pole and then I'll have a turtledog stand so I'll be able to test out different methods of keeping my arse warm (or at least less cold). Hopefully I'll be able to set up the tarp above and see how wet the hammock gets. I'll try n take some pics of the results.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Speed Hook
    Images
    I had a chance to finish my turtledog stand yesterday morning. It was super easy to assemble and works well for my needs. The only thing I think i will do is cut the galvanized pipe in half to make storage a little easier. Here is the completed setup with my hammock strung up.

20140223_172850225_iOS.jpg

20140223_173107412_iOS.jpg

If anyone see's anything I've done wrong or has suggestions to offer, I'm all ears. I'm gonna try several methods of keeping warm over the next week or two. I found a windshield sunshade in the trunk of my girlfriends car that I may try as a pad tonight. It's supposed to get down to 32.

That being said, after looking at the weather forecast for where I plan to go (Standing Indian loop), I think I've decided I'm just gonna lug the ole tent along. I plan to start my hike march 10th which is approaching fast. The average low temp for Standing Indian Mountain over the next week is 26 with it dropping to 17 one night. That's a little too extreme for me for my first expedition with my hammock. It's only 14 oz. so I may bring it along with my tent for lounging purposes. Thoughts?

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjoshwilson View Post
    I had a chance to finish my turtledog stand yesterday morning. It was super easy to assemble and works well for my needs. The only thing I think i will do is cut the galvanized pipe in half to make storage a little easier. Here is the completed setup with my hammock strung up.

20140223_172850225_iOS.jpg

20140223_173107412_iOS.jpg

If anyone see's anything I've done wrong or has suggestions to offer, I'm all ears. I'm gonna try several methods of keeping warm over the next week or two. I found a windshield sunshade in the trunk of my girlfriends car that I may try as a pad tonight. It's supposed to get down to 32.

That being said, after looking at the weather forecast for where I plan to go (Standing Indian loop), I think I've decided I'm just gonna lug the ole tent along. I plan to start my hike march 10th which is approaching fast. The average low temp for Standing Indian Mountain over the next week is 26 with it dropping to 17 one night. That's a little too extreme for me for my first expedition with my hammock. It's only 14 oz. so I may bring it along with my tent for lounging purposes. Thoughts?
    Great job Josh. Maybe shorter bolts to help prevent snags on tarps, hammocks, ect.
    I haul my TD stands in a short bed Ranger. Ridge pole is cut from 2 (two) 10 ft. poles in order to make a longer span. 6 & 1/2 feet and 5 & 1/2 feet. My stands are 6 & 1/2 feet and it all fits diagonally in the truck. The ridge pole has an eye bolt at each end connected to the hinge with the quick link so I leave the pole connected when I break down the stand. The ridge pole slides apart and folds up inside the tripod.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123