Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    water bottle with holes in the lid...GENIUS!!
    making one right now (man, I'm easily impressed cause I have no imagination of my own!)
    Best trick she ever taught me. If I'm right about the 'friend' in question, I laughed at her when she pulled her 'shower' out of her pack. Still have the taste of my words in my mouth from having to eat them. It has become one of my favorite little tricks. Although, these days I just carry an extra lid with holes opposed to carrying a totally separate shower bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    okay places to hang as someone else mentioned sleeping near a stream is great but you have bugs to contend with. try to place the hammock were it is going to catch any air and set the tarp accordingly if your in a hilly or mountain area try to pitch the hammock and tarp close to the edge of them as it almost always has air movement off of it. I have also found that if you have a good stand of pine tree's that it is often cooler in them than it is under other types of trees. I contribute this to the fact that the needles on the ground do not let the heat build up on the ground. ( I stayed at a holiday inn express last night) I don't have a degree in forestry so don't hold me to that.
    This is good advice regardless of the season. Site selection should be the thing we all pay attention to the most. Sure, sometimes there is a place to hang that disregards all the rules about site selection, but the view is fabulous. Caution should be thrown to the wind form time to time! But, when the weather is bad (hot, cold, or wet) site selection can be the difference between and good night and a rotten one. I remember being very cold one night somewhere in NC. I finally got to the point that I couldn't take it anymore and went in search of a better location. A whole 40' away, up the hill a little, I noticed a big difference in the ambient temp. I moved my hammock and tarp and snoozed through the night. I guess I was originally camped in an area that was collecting the cold air. A little higher on the slope and all was well. It pays to pay attention.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I once went three months without a real shower after a few hurricanes. I would wash under a large teapot, heated as necessary. It's unbelievable how good that can make one feel and it has some kind of cool effect on my hairstyle that I've never been able to replicate with plumbing. I'm definitely going to be drilling out a bottle cap tonight. Sometimes the best ideas are incredibly obvious.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    After reading on here about everyboy's concerns for getting cold, I never thought getting hot would be a problem. But down here in Georgia, we are already seeing 90+ degree days and high 70 nights. My problem has been staying cool. I have not seen that discussed here except for one thread about fans. Is anybody else experiencing this heat?
    i dont hike and hang in the summer,i kayak and hang in the summer,it is much cooler hanging near water on rivers and lakes so thats my cure for summer time heatneo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Although, these days I just carry an extra lid with holes opposed to carrying a totally separate shower bottle.
    Are you using a Nalgene wide mouth lid or a regular water bottle? (a good squeeze would help with a 'shower' effect!)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I use the large-mouth Aquafina water bottles. They are light, I can fit my SteriPen in the opening, disposable, and 'squeezable'. A little practice and one or two fillings is all you need. Make the holes small; I think I used a 7/64" or 5/64" drill bit. Should be large enough that you can force water through it with a gentle squeeze, but small enough that it doesn't just come dumping out when you invert it. I like to let it sit in the sun for a little bit so that I don't make this face: when I start the 'shower'.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    70 C, doh! You'd never guess I was an engineer would you?

At that temp I'm not even sure the bugs would make it. Well, not all of them anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWa View Post
    Oh for sure I think no bottom insulation is needed.

Let's see ( 70C * 9/5 ) + 32 = 150F

To Hot for me.

Now 70F is another issue. I'd be all Less stuff to carry and fiddle around with. Typos sure help stretch the discussion though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123